Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default parathyroid/calcium deficiency

they won't let me add a link so I'll paste it instead...

I found this while googling PD and parathyroid as a recent blood test showed me to be deficient in calcium whic hcan be due to problems with the parathyroid. Does anyone know about this or has anyone been tested low for calcium?

Trixiedee

PARKINSON’S: AN ALTERNATIVE APPROACH

Dr. Sharon Rabb

http://www.drsharonrabb.com/articles/Parkinson%27s.htm

Last edited by Chemar; 06-14-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: copyright infringement/ added link as a courtesy
trixiedee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (06-28-2010)

advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

personally,
i take any info from a naturpath with a grain of salt.
went to one when first diagnosed, tests galore, fees galore.
http://www.drsharonrabb.com/articles/Swine%20Flu.html
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 AM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Trixiedee

it may be best to wait till you are able to correctly link as we have strict rules here about respecting other website's copyright, and so you cannot copy/paste entire articles that way. We do have this in our guidelines

I have added the link as a courtesy to you

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I think you should be tested for Vit D levels. Low D leads to poor calcium absorption. That is the easiest way to start.

Many of the posters here on these boards are testing for this and coming up very low.

Here is a medical video to get you started:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread92116.html

There is also a video on that thread from Australia which is also becoming aggressive in treating low serum levels.

We have several Vit D threads on our Vitamin forum, mostly on the first 3 pages.

I'd do this first before any other intervention, since it is likely you could be very low and that is why you are not absorbing calcium.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jaye (06-14-2010), paula_w (06-14-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

That is one heck of an article! I have learned enough over the last ten years to understand half of it and it is on the money IMHO. And I find nothing egregious in the rest.

My experience with NDs is similar to thatof soccertese - a lot of tests, talk, and money but with a different spin. The tests were for a purpose explained ahead of time, the talk was a real effort to educate, and the cost was due to three hours of quality time that insurance wouldn't touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiedee View Post
they won't let me add a link so I'll paste it instead...

I found this while googling PD and parathyroid as a recent blood test showed me to be deficient in calcium whic hcan be due to problems with the parathyroid. Does anyone know about this or has anyone been tested low for calcium?

Trixiedee

PARKINSON’S: AN ALTERNATIVE APPROACH

Dr. Sharon Rabb

http://www.drsharonrabb.com/articles/Parkinson%27s.htm
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:01 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My vit D was in normal range but my GP's idea of normal is probably quite generous. I am going to get my parathyroid checked out anyway.

Sorry for posting the article - had no idea it was forbidden.

Reverett - I totally agree with you. Incidentally I was tested by my GP not a naturopath.

Trixiedee
trixiedee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

many doctors consider 20-30 ng a normal reading.

The goal today is 50-80. USA units of testing.

This is like the B12 ranges which are also antiquated and low.
It would save you $$ and time to get the numbers for your D test.
You may be surprised that you are not "normal" at all.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default low vit D

trixiedee,

i was dx with mild osteoporosis several years ago and discontinued the med after a short while - had heard too many negative things about the med. Then just this year, at the urging of several people on the forum and after thinking I had to be ok - I've lived in Hawaii and Florida since I was 23 years old and likely more in danger of skin cancer than low vit D- i got tested.

Turns out I was wrong. My vitamin D was very low. I also think the parathyroid is worth checking into because I'm a walking hormone deficiency and have been since i as in my 30s. hypothyroid, early onset menopause. Then came the pd symptoms,

thanks for the interesting article. i am hesitant to view anything mentioned as that much of a fix with any degree of confidence, but try to look for the merits and hopes in any potential treatment. and old meds are turning out to still be effective and safe.

my belief:

we do have the capability to "fix" ourselves, but we are not in charge to make the decision and because we do not acknowledge that faith in God is a factor, we'll never get it because we are not using the gifts/tools we have been given to fight something this serious. pd does away with our lives -as we knew them-forever.

it is too often portrayed with vast understatment and pwp are overestimated about what they can do; pwp overestimate themselves too because they somedays feel stronger. people don't show us, so they only have Mike Fox; he is the most symptomatic of the public pd figures.[well Ali was actually the first] but he doesn't talk about it and i feel like he has something different ..

truth is, i have more faith in my fellow forumicans here to discover something major than i do the medestablishment because we share and learn what we don't understand.

faith can make the placebo effect look like an afterthought. but medical science just doesn't think that way. Even with the data staring at them in the face that says , we all got better, the placebo as much as the treated.

in 6 months. Scientists, altho improving thanks to many unacknowledged and unpaid activists determined that 6 months was a suitable " heal or give up" length of time for the treatment to work or fail.

Whose to say that the placebo effect is at work and the treatment isn't yet? it just needs more time. This post is being written at length because it's 5 pm. - ramble hour med exacerbated and if we were on the phone you wouldn't be able to understand all of it. the poor people with hearing loss can't get much of it.

trixie dee you posted a very relevant article and although we are not doctors, we have a need to discover and learn ourselves and rick has always suspected the endocrine system. Constipation is universal and as Miles once said on Murphy Brown -stuck with me because i believed it to be partially true-in spite of his joking. He said his mother or someone always said, "Everything starts in the colon.'

yessiirreee you can count on me to be uplifting
on the other hand, i am so blessed to have experienced this life....for all the mistakes i didn't make, for teaching me that material possessions and money were too hard, too much work, and too much stress.

i am living a simple life and i like it. most of all, i am learning to grow up in relationships. these things bring the calmness and confidence to handle the horrors and trauma that too often comes our way and to think about others. All the things that we are taught in the good book have a way of proving themselves in adverstiy. And healing, when focused upon with faith, is something to be explored. It happens, but no one believes the stories.

pd is bad tho....now i'm at the age where i want to relax peacefully and travel. well i can't relax unless i'm on powerful drugs or asleep. so let's work on that Delorean and program it to a day of healing. i'll go in the first phase on that one - unblinded - but would we come back if we could feel better in the future?

what if coming back were permanent? back to loved ones but also to illness? or would you remain in the future? [i watched the Time Traveler's Wife today. lol] i'd rather travel in clothes.

ok botom line is things are moving quickly and i feel that we are racing toward something life changing, as predicted. if you want to run the race you use all of your resources. If you don't win jusy keep trying but talk to the one in charge. the body is so unbelievably intricate - ok i won't go there; it just blows my mind that humans actually believe there is no intelligent design. that's everyone's right but they have taken the "real" healing and the spiritual component and chosen to rely on man and destroy or deceive us out of the placebo effect. It won't work because it's trickery.

Why are scientists so locked against the most important factor of a human's make up? It's intangible and all powerful. It's known as the soul and you can't replicate it or change it as a doctor or scientist. That area is behind the closed door. So we all have to suffer for the beliefs of scientists and other people who, chances are, know nothing about it.

are you satisfied with the results? do we all feel that man will save us? man is too busy destroying it all and blaming anyone but themselves.

summing it up:
try anything under supervision, scientists need to include patients and a spiritual advisor component to trial protocol. participants have the option to decline the spirtitual aspect.

this is just good science. scientists think they are doing the best they can do. but our illness is but a speck of sand compared to the healing needed in this world. the picture is so much more expansive....surprises may await you. I am leery of surprises. So i read and learn; and turn the rest over to someone who cares for us all.

peace

parathyroid search
http://www.google.com/search?q=parat...e=utf8&oe=utf8

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 06-14-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: nothing edited as yet
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 PM #9
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Shocked

yikes Paula....not sure how that tangent happened, but I do need to politely ask that the thread please not become political or enter into religious dueling as you know why we need to have guidelines on those.

let me post the guidelines again
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1293

and just an FYI re the copyright too re the above edit for Trixie...it isnt that we "forbid" just because....it is because authors and publications etc often send us letters of complaint when their copyrighted materials are posted, so we need to comply
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread37384.html

Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (06-14-2010), mrsD (06-14-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default is the post ok now?

all offensive and inappropriate remarks removed?

thanks for your patience, and i know your hands are tied. i felt the comments were rather mild but christian intolerance....well have you seen South Park lately?

the guidelines yes thank you,

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (06-14-2010), mrsD (06-14-2010)