advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Kid's backpay

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you could use the kid's backpay on toys for them? I know you can use it on clothes and those kinds of necessities, but I wonder if I can buy them some toys. They really don't have many. They are 2 and 4. I got their backpay last Saturday. I am still waiting for mine.
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes you can spend it on anything you deem fit. We bought our kids a Wii and Ipods after I won. They suffered for 3 years during the wait so we rewarded them. 2 months ago I bought my oldest daughter a used car. I was told we would get a form wanting to know how the money was spent. Well it will be 1 year on June 24th that I won at the ALJ level. We haven't heard anything as of yet. I would go out and get them something nice!
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hee hee..I already did! I got my 4 year a bike! And my 2 year old a Buzz Lightyear. And pajamas for each of them. And socks and underwear. I am keeping the receipts of absolutely everything for when the time comes that you have to explain it all. I know it takes a while, but my friend Joe said he had to do the form, but not until after 3 years.

Also, do you have to be re evaluated or anything? I have to be interviewed again or something like that in December of 2011.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:47 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i never got a form asking how the money was spent. the form states what benefits they received that year and what was previously saved if any, and then asks how much is left in their account
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The lady at ssdi said you have to tell them what you spent the $$ on. My friend Joe had to do the same thing. Maybe it is diff in PA.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default go buy them some toys1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you could use the kid's backpay on toys for them? I know you can use it on clothes and those kinds of necessities, but I wonder if I can buy them some toys. They really don't have many. They are 2 and 4. I got their backpay last Saturday. I am still waiting for mine.

hi there i got my kids back pay and i took them to buy cloths and stuff i was never told what i had to spend the money on i think as long as you can show that with rent food cloths ect... that it has to ad up to what you get a month for them you know just make sure you keep track of it so when they ask you have papers to prove what you got i have to use 3800 of my kids backpay to get in to a new home and i don't see why that would be a problem they have to have a roof over there heads, and i still have not seen my backpay and its been like 4 months! and we have to move so no choice
walkerslbje is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

As far as spending the money if they do send me a form I will just explain it as the oldest is in collecg the yongest has a medical condition that requires alot of money. I have not kept any receipts. I guess we will see what happens. I get reviewed in July of 2012.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't think it is necessary to keep receipts, I was not told that, I am just going to do it because i won't remember what i spent it on.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:24 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The first report I received showed how much was received for that year - it did not include any of the back pay. I had to state how much was used for her care, how much was left over and what account it was in. The following year if there was money left over from the previous year it was added to the amount sent then I had to again state how much was used and where the rest was. When I spoke with the woman at SS initially she told me we could use the monthly checks received for my daughter towards 1/3 of the mortgage, 1/3 of the gas and electric, 1/3 of every bill, including her personal costs for clothing, etc. Again no mention of the back pay.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have two teenaged boys.......they both easily eat more than $450 a month in groceries !

That money signifies that portion of your income that you would have spent on the kids if you were still able to work......so if you live in a 3 bedroom house (instead of a 1 bedroom apartment if it were just you), groceries, utilities, clothes, out of pocket medical expenses, toys, college savings, trip to Disney......all of that is appropriate to spend 'their' money on.
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote