Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can someone help me with mri/surgery opinion?

I am new to this forum and have had back pain since Aug 2009. It has become significantly worse and I have had several tests. My mri impression states the following:
Bilateral infraforaminal stenosis at L4-5 due to broad-based protrusion of the disk.
Central extrusion of the disk at L5-S1 producing bilateral foraminal stenosis and compression of the S1 transitting roots.
Hemagiomas in S1 and S2.
Multiple cysts in liver and kidneys.

I have seen 3 neuro surgeons. 2 suggested TLIF fusion and another a MCD with laminectomy. I have tried ESI which have caused more pain. Also using otc anti inflam meds along with flex at night if the pain gets too bad.

My question is this, based on all of your experiences, would you say I should do the surgery? If so which one? I'm really concerned. I'm out of work on short term for the past 8 weeks trying therapy but the pain hasn't subsided. I have my good days but have constant life altering pain.

I'm also concerned about the cysts but none of the mds including my family md seem concered.
Sorry to right a novel here. I'm having a really hard time and at my wit's end. Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks!
theresa79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi teresa ~ if it were me, i would NOT have the surgery. Why? because the spinal cord has not been compromised, and because if you do have surgery you will start on a road that leads you to more and more surgery. when you have spinal surgery, the levels above and below the surgery site become unstable and they also herniate and will need surgery. this keeps happening each time you have surgery until your whole spine has been operated on. also, there is no guarantee that your pain will ever be relieved. you might come out of surgery with the same pain or worse. any doctor that tells you he can relieve your pain is lying.

if i was you i''d ask for a referral to a pain management doctor where you have more options for conservative care. i wish you the very best and i'm sorry you didn't get any replies until now. God bless. hugs, leesa
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Leesa,
Thanks so much for replying. I keep hearing "don't have surgery" alot lately. Anyone I've met that has had surgery seems to have more problems, be it another surgery or added pain. I appreciate your advice and am going to continue working on my own to hopefully improve my condition. Again, I really appreciate your feedback. Any little bit helps!
theresa79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:35 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi again teresa ~ i just realized i didn't answer about the cysts. lol. the hemagiomas are blood-filled "cysts" that don't do any harm at all. they just sit there looking ominous. don't worry about them. the cysts on the liver and kidney i don't know anything about as they didn't do any further testing on them. you'd need either an ultrasound or biopsy on them. perhaps they just aren't worried about them. i'd ask my doc about it to be sure. best of luck. god bless. hugs, lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:30 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thesea,

I WAS in your position until the 14th of last month, when I had a spinal fusion s1/L5. I had a laminctomy about 8 years ago. Im 32, so young for the problems I have had.

I'm telling you it was the best decision FOR ME. I could not parpicate with my family as I was always in pain, could not sit for long, could not stand, couldnt walk for a long period, in the end I couldnt drive as the pain come on so quick in the car, and so amazingly painful I couldnt concentrate on driving. I have 4 kids the youngest being 1.... I was missing out on so much with him. You know I have not lifted my son more than maybe 6-8 times.... since Jan, my back and leg just could not cope. My life was hell, and I considered ending it a few times. I just could not cope.

NOW: mostly pain free, HAPPY, excited!, tired ,looking forward to the future! I'm on top of the moon. Seriously.

You read lots of horror stories over the net mostly form America, however I live in NZ, and spinal fusion rarely get done here, so much different to the US, which it's very common.

Do LOTS of research on 'trusted'websites , and only you can make the decision.

Best of luck xx
Ally is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BMyers (02-04-2012)