Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Neurologix Announces Successful Phase 2 Trial of Gene Therapy for Parkinson's Disease

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Neurol....html?x=0&.v=1
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (06-22-2010)

advertisement
Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I don't understand this community sometimes

This is arguably one of the most important advances in many years - a statistically proven, successful, double blind Phase II study of a NON DOPAMINERGIC treatment for this disease - and the post sinks like a rock.

I realize this is just the preliminary report, but if you actually read the Phase I study of this - it has the ability to normalize malfunctioning brain circuits. IOW, it's not just observed motor improvement - this actually has the potential to reset some of the damage caused by PD.

I'm trying not to be overly excited, but I think this deserves a HELL YEAH and some congenial group hugs, while we await further info.

Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccertese View Post
caldeerster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aftermathman (06-23-2010)
Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldeerster View Post
This is arguably one of the most important advances in many years - a statistically proven, successful, double blind Phase II study of a NON DOPAMINERGIC treatment for this disease - and the post sinks like a rock.

I realize this is just the preliminary report, but if you actually read the Phase I study of this - it has the ability to normalize malfunctioning brain circuits. IOW, it's not just observed motor improvement - this actually has the potential to reset some of the damage caused by PD.

I'm trying not to be overly excited, but I think this deserves a HELL YEAH and some congenial group hugs, while we await further info.

Cal
Since i have begun researching the neurotransmitters, i realize how important this could be. GABA defiency could be behind many of our non-motor symptoms and we KNOW it's not just dopamine. I was "thinking " how good this announcement is - but i post all the time.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default promises promises

Quote:

Cal
I guess some of us got tired of promises and more promises
Imad
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default True enough Caldersteer ...

I guess a lot of the reaction is due to previous failures (Spheramine, Ceregene), that members of the board enrolled onto. I share your excitement however I too am scared that something will come out of the woodwork and knock us back, (cost, results not good enough, there is a "y" in the day of the week, etc).

Reminds me if Howardh is watching this, I know he pinned a lot of faith in Kaplitt and During, (founders of Neurologix), it would be great to hear his reaction.

In the meantime you're right, this could potentially be the best news since DBS, (perhaps that came out wrong), and keep on posting Paula

Neil.

Last edited by aftermathman; 06-23-2010 at 08:47 AM.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Woo hoo!

Cal, I shouted woo hoo! (at home) and immediately sent a donation to the Fox Foundation to help support all the terrific work they do. Then I emailed the link to friends & family

Quote:

Cal

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote