Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI results can someone interpret

I just got my MRI lumbar spine results today and my dr referred me to a neurologist. I don't fully understand what they mean and really want to know. I am in alot of pain and it is getting progressively worse. I also have very if any reflexes in my right leg/foot.
Results:
L2-L3 disc shows diffuse symmetrical herniation of 4 mm causing mild compression of sac and mild encroachment or exiting foramina bilaterally.
L4-L5 disc shows right paracentral disc herniation of 5 mm causing mild to moderate compression of right exiting nerve.
These were the problem ones the other ones all appear normal.
Any interpretation on this would be a big help.
Thanks,
trloe06 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Well--

--certainly what you've got there can explain a lot of symptoms.

The L2 L3 space shows a disc herniation--that's when the disc between the vertebrae is compressed/squeezed sufficiently that material has actually been extruded from it into the spinal space (as opposed to a bulge, in which disc material is being squeezed but not extruding yet). When this material is extruded it can take up space it's not supposed to and press on other structures, particularly nerves. In this case, it doesn't seem as it it's impinging on the spinal cord, though it is compressing the surrounding thecal sac a bit (the "sac" is the canal in which the spinal cord and fluid and connective tissue rests), which is very common. The foramina are the spaces through which the nerve roots, one right, one left (hence the "bilaterally") pass on their way from the spinal cord to the parts of the body they serve; disc material encroaching into this space can crowd or compress the spinal nerve roots, brining inflammation, pain, and neurological deficit.

It seems as if your L4 L5 herniation is worse in that there is definite encroachment of the exiting nerve root on the right side--are you experiencing right leg or buttock symptoms, particularly along the outside of the leg? The L4 L5 distribution runs through that area.

Last edited by glenntaj; 06-24-2010 at 05:47 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks that helps so much. Yes, i am experiencing pain in the right leg,buttocks and in my foot. My foot seems to "catch" or I have to pick it up to put it in the car.
trloe06 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote