Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 04:34 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Parkinson and LTD insurance

Having diagnosed PD for more then year I started to look on other consequences of my disease and I need an advice from somebody who has been on this road for more longer time.
I am still working full time as an engineer and will try to work as long as I can. But signs of decease become more and more visible (mostly tremor).
So in some day I will have to quit my job or will be fired (what is better ?). What then ?
What resources are available for me ?
I have Long term disability (LTD) insurance from my employer but how can it work for such slow developing case as Parkinson ?
Do I have to hire LTD layer now?
Do I have to inform my employer ?
Many questions… I will be appreciated for any advice.
EugeneS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

EugeneS-
Let me be sure I understand. You have had an official dx for a year but you already had LTD through your job at the time. And you haven't informed your employer yet.

If that is so, then I would first do a little snooping and figure out who the underwriter is and how solid are they. Also, are they SOBs who smile until you need them? Or do they play by the rules?

The best thing about having the LTD is that it will help you through the period between your last day on the job and when your disability (SSDI) starts. Then once it begins there is another two years before Medicare starts.

So, if I were you I would retire ASAP for two reasons- 1) In this economy no one knows what will happen. What if your employer says they just can't bear the cost of insurance any longer, for example? and 2) Job stress is not good but it is typically something we are conditioned to endure. Forget that and start using a "no more heroes" policy. You need a nap in the afternoon? You should tell your boss so that when you do file he can truthfully say that it has affected your work, etc.

You mentioned that you are an engineer. If you don't already have experience being self-employeed, time to learn. Once you get SSDI you can still earn up to $700 per month. Maybe your employer can be your first client.

This is a slow process, too. From the time you file the first paper to when your last approval come through can take as much as three or four years, so don't dawdle if it isn't justified. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneS View Post
Having diagnosed PD for more then year I started to look on other consequences of my disease and I need an advice from somebody who has been on this road for more longer time.
I am still working full time as an engineer and will try to work as long as I can. But signs of decease become more and more visible (mostly tremor).
So in some day I will have to quit my job or will be fired (what is better ?). What then ?
What resources are available for me ?
I have Long term disability (LTD) insurance from my employer but how can it work for such slow developing case as Parkinson ?
Do I have to hire LTD layer now?
Do I have to inform my employer ?
Many questions… I will be appreciated for any advice.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (08-28-2010)
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default LTD, SSDB and SSRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
EugeneS-
Let me be sure I understand. You have had an official dx for a year but you already had LTD through your job at the time. And you haven't informed your employer yet.

If that is so, then I would first do a little snooping and figure out who the underwriter is and how solid are they. Also, are they SOBs who smile until you need them? Or do they play by the rules?

The best thing about having the LTD is that it will help you through the period between your last day on the job and when your disability (SSDI) starts. Then once it begins there is another two years before Medicare starts.

So, if I were you I would retire ASAP for two reasons- 1) In this economy no one knows what will happen. What if your employer says they just can't bear the cost of insurance any longer, for example? and 2) Job stress is not good but it is typically something we are conditioned to endure. Forget that and start using a "no more heroes" policy. You need a nap in the afternoon? You should tell your boss so that when you do file he can truthfully say that it has affected your work, etc.

You mentioned that you are an engineer. If you don't already have experience being self-employeed, time to learn. Once you get SSDI you can still earn up to $700 per month. Maybe your employer can be your first client.

This is a slow process, too. From the time you file the first paper to when your last approval come through can take as much as three or four years, so don't dawdle if it isn't justified. Good luck.
Thank you Rick for a response. Yes, I have been diagnosed with PD by two neurologists (looked for second opinion). So I think I can be considered as officially diagnosed.
I have two years to early retirement age and am trying to evaluate my future financial situation. In this respect could you say something about relation between LTD, SSDB and SS retirement benefits ? Say having LTD will I be eligible in the same time to have SSDB and/or SSRB ?
EugeneS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Its been awhile since I had to deal with this, so verify anything important.

Essentially you are dealing with three types of insurance.There is LongTerm Disability (LTD) and LongTerm Care (LTC) and Social Security Disability Income (SSDI). You haven't mentioned LTC but you might check with your employer. Get it if they offer it.

LTD comes in a couple of flavors. The best replaces lost wages for the rest of your life at 80% and starts when you can no longer do your professional duties as an engineer.

The worst ones will require you to stage an armed confrontation at their office in order to get a dime.

OK, that last is exaggerated but not by as much as you think. There are some real scumbags in this area. If your employer is big enough then you will probably be alright.

However, even the decent ones often pay you until you start getting an SSDI check. Then, since SSDI pays you "backpay" for the months and months you waited, the insurance company expects you to reimburse them for what they paid you!

When you file for SSDI (ASAP BTW) it will drag on forever. Months and even years. It is insane. The best thing that I did was to wait four months so that the first hoops had been gone through and my application was sitting on some bureaucrat's desk. Then I called the local office of my congress critter. Local is important because that is what they are there for. I explained that I was not asking him to intervene in any decisions but that I was hoping that he could help with the red tape.

A few days later I got a call from a bureaucrat apologizing for the delay and a couple of weeks later a check showed up.

Democracy in action!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (06-30-2010)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Eugene...

Rick has been right on target. I'd just like to add that from what I understand you have a LTD policy already in place. Being diagnosed already I don't think that you will be able to get, let alone afford a LTC plan.
Are your doctors supportive of your condition. If so is there any way that you can get STD either if it is your earned leave or otherwise until the LTD kicks in. The objective is to leave now under your terms, not theirs. PD will only progress, albeit however slow but stress from trying to keep a job only worsens this. Apply asap with a good paper trail of medical history, doctors, etc. It may take a while but it will be much faster if you have a good paper trail of records, then there is no denying your qualifying. I know that they can be idiots but PD is clearly outlined on the listing of impairments-

11.06 Parkinsonian syndrome with the following signs: Significant rigidity, bradykinesia, or tremor in two extremities, which, singly or in combination, result in sustained disturbance of gross and dexterous movements, or gait and station.

Last of all it never hurts to throw a few senators, etc into the fray- they're always looking for an ax to grind. I just wrote a letter to mine regarding mortgage modification. The bank flat out told me that they were not obligated and as such were not going to offer me a modification. Well, I was told my letter went to the comptroller of the housing issue at the federal level at the time. The next thing I know I'm talking to the executive secretary to the CEO of Bank of America!!! How's that ??!!
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sorry I have to add...

If I am correct since you are still away from retiring your disability benefit in SSDI should be higher right now than your proposed retirement benefit. So if approved you would get your disability benefit which will simply become your retirement benefit at age whatever.

I you get LTD typically they will pay your claim while you wait for the verdict from SSDI. say your LTD is 2000.00 they pay you while you apply. SSDI comes along and awards you 1,000 per month. you will still get 2,000 month 1,000 from LTD and 1,000 from SSDI. But not more than 2,000 total. Also typically you will have a period from when you applied and the LTD was paying you until your ss decision, all the while accruing backpay. Now you are responsible for paying the LTD company back the money you recieved in between the decision. You still get a monthly check but you don't get to keep the backpay. If you use a lawyer they also are paid from your back pay. I have found out a lot about this very fact just today we are applying for my wife. Not to be confusing but her LTD company will represent her with a lawyer to get her SSDI!! Think about it, if her claim is valid it's to their advantage to get the govt. to pick up the tab. Hope I've helped ya.
Jim091866 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (07-03-2010)
Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Does it pay to get a lawyer for disability?

I am 56yts. old, a Teacher Assistant and I have suffered for two years trying to stay on at school. I have grave reservations about starting this school year. I only have 8 sick days left as I have used about 40 every year for the last couple years. I just don't know where to start and even tho I can retire I lose half my retirement by retiring now and not in 6 years at 62. Does it pay to hire a lawyer to help sort things out? I only make about 20K a year and retirement would be about 9K. What/how do lawyers charge and are their any good honest lawyers in upstate NY?
adirondacker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

http://www.parkinsons.northwestern.e...0FOR%20SSD.pdf
http://www.pdf.org/en/summer10_legal
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know how bad your pd affects your work if you have been diagnosed for one year. I only know what my experience was. I was a draftsman and pd didn't really affect my work for a long time. I did tell my employer about my condition and he was very supportive. Also there was a month open season for signing up for long term care so I did that after I was diagnosed.
After about 8 yrs, my worst symptom was rigidity so I would hurt on my right shoulder and neck from constantly being on the mouse. I also had major back problems which made it hard to sit or stand for long periods. Finally I couldn't do it anymore, pain was so bad I couldn't concentrate, couldn't go on field trips, had to rest in ladies lounge every morning and afternoon.
I had long term disability thru company but it was hard to get. You have to be practically dead to qualify. First I had to go thru my short term disability. I applied for long term disability at that time.
The paperwork was long, had to have complete records from all doctors and other support services you used for your condition such as physical therapists, hospitals, chiropractors, etc. You also had to apply for SSDI at the same time. My long term disability pays 60% of your pay. It is a good plan. So I applied for both. With SSDI they required that I be seen by an appointed pschiatrist to evaluate and confirm my condition. I was finally, after about 6 months of waiting, approved for both.
Now every 6 months, my ltd plan requires an evaluation from doctors to confirm I am still disabled. So far, no problem there.
I don't think I would have gone thru all this if I could have continued to work as long as I could. I really loved my job and still miss it.
I wish you well, it is a hard decision. I took along time to make up my mind. My medications enabled me to work alot longer.
libra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (09-05-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, all,

My experience was a little different. As I was being pushed out of my job by my boss, I went into the SS office and applied for SSDI; I also obtained the forms to apply for LTD from my employer. Both required reports from all my healthcare providers but no outside confirmation or exams. I had my first SSDI check in about 6 weeks - about $1000. The employer based LTD took about 6 months (also about $1000/month), but then I got "back pay" also. This does not nearly replace my paycheck, but it's doable. I was able to continue my health insurance, but had to pay full price (no help from employer) until Medicare kicked in. I had lined up a lawyer, but he said there was nothing for him to do until I was turned down and wanted to appeal - then he would take it on contingency. He was never needed.

I guess I was really lucky.

Sasha
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (09-05-2010)