Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Psyciatric Symptoms Seconday to Parkinson's Disease; Greetings to Braintalk Veterans

Hi all.

I'm a new member to Pscyhcentral Neurotalk but a 10 year parkie and a former poster to Braintalk. I would appreciate it if people who remember me from Braintalk (paula, lindylanka, jaye, etc) would identify themselves.

I stopped posting to Baintalk because I became very ill, as in mentally ill, sometime about three years ago. I was psychotic for eight months, and was a patient (i almost typed prisoner, because it was a lot like being in prison) in a state mental hospital in Independence, Iowa.

A year ago last January, a year and a half ago, I was started on a medication called Zyprexa. Within two days I became lucid. Within two months I returned to Iowa City, my home for most of the time since 1976.

At first I lived in a residental care facility, sort of a nursing home for psychiatric patients. After six months, in November of 2009, I was able to move into an apartment near the downtown, near the library, drug stores, and a grocery store. I am in the process of re-establishing indepent control of my finances. I volunteer three days a week at a Mennonite thrift and gift store, sorting and shelving used books. I meet with friends for coffe and lunch. I go to church and attend church activies.

I have two daughters, age 18 and 20. The 20 year-old lives in Iowa City and I see her two or three days a week, and also see my ex-husband, who also lives in Iowa City, a couple times a week.

It is impossible to overstate how ill I was. I was totally incompetent. Likewise, it is difficult to overstate the magnitude of my improvement. I am intersted in knowing if there are other Parkinson's patient with similar psychiatric issues. My neurologist, a senior faculty at a Big Ten institution, one of the biggest research and teaching hospitals in the country, said that my syndrome was "not rare". I thought he impled it was not common, but frankly I'm puzzled because I don't know of anyone with similar symptoms.

In addition to having been treated for psychosis, I also have had severe anxiety, now in remission, depression, which I am still taking medication for (Effexor has been pretty effective and free of side effects), and hypothyroidsm (which I take Synthroid for; I have never had symptoms of hypothyroidism).

My diagnosis is mood disorder not otherwise specified, psychosis not otherwise spcified, secondary to parkinson's disease.

I look forward to hearing from Braintalk veterans and anyone with a mental illness diagnosis in the aftermath of a parkinson's diagnosis.

Thanks, Barb
I also have dystonia in my feet unpredictably; it's very paimful and disabling and I would welcome suggestions about what people have found to be helpful. I rarly get it in the morning; I more often get it in the evening and it can sideline me for 45 minutes to an hour. It seems to be correlated with taking medication late or at irregular times, but I can do everything by the clock and still have problems. Are there any medications that people have found helpful?
bldavidson56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (07-10-2010), vertigo (07-01-2010)

advertisement
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default hi barb!

How unabashedly honest and right to the point your post is. I know you have a lot to share. welcome back, i don't type so well this late but be back of course.

great discussions going here and i think you might be interested in them.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:42 PM #3
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Amazing Coincidence!!

My name is Vicky Lynn (vlhperry) and have posted here for many years. Two days ago I was dragged out of my house screaming and in handcuffs for holding a knife to my stomach, trying to murder my disease. I had been prescribed a very high dose of steroids to clear up a skin infection that was very persistantly creeping up from ankles for two weeks. Add to that the fact that my husband had been "experimenting" with my dose of sinemet by upping my dosage without my knowledge. (Did you notice a difference, honey?) Fortunately after his confession, I knew what was likely happening, and after some primal scream therapy was able to wait out the toxic affects. The paramedic and emergency staff were well trained and actually believed me when I explained the situation to them and trusted me enough to send me home.

I don't know if the episode would have occured with or without PD. I do believe it was exasperated by all the meds I take for my Parkin. I also firmly believe in a strong Pschological component to PD. This was a hot topic just a few weeks ago with much input in the trewad. Indigogo (Carey) is the expert here, in my book, for pschological effects of PD. She has her on site set up exploring this topic called "clogination". try a search for it.

Best of luck getting your life back togeather. Will pray for your recovery.
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vertigo (07-01-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Barb,
Welcome back to the forum. It has been a long time, and your account of it is honest and straightforward, just as I remember you from way back. I am amazed by your story of how quickly a medication was able to bring you back, and as you say your diagnosis is secondary to Parkinsons and "not rare" I wonder whether it happens to people and we do not hear of it because they drop off the radar and they do not come back, perhaps there are also those who have had a similar experience to you, but maybe not the good fortune to have been treated with something that worked well for them.

I have heard anecdotally of PwP who became what is known over here as 'a handful', and also of sinemet psychosis (from a neuro who insisted I did not have PD and that l-dopa was dangerous). And have a friend who is severely bi-polar, he has a chemical imbalance of dopamine, he makes far too much of the stuff. Just the nicest person, at the mercy of his very unbalanced neurotransmitters. And it is hard not to notice that there are mood changes that come with the drugs that we take, and sometimes they fluctuate just as much as our movement does......

But I am sure you will have wondered about all the possibilities, and for now it is good to hear that you are better, recovering, and re-inhabiting the person you are, claiming back your life. And it is very good to have you back here.........

Best Wishes
Lindy

Dystonia is often caused by wearing off or wearing on, especially the feet and toes, but also can be part of PD. As yours comes on in the evening perhaps it is more related to meds ? A lot of us do get this.......
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vertigo (07-01-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default old friend ---

Barb - man, is it good to see you! do you have a phone? PM me and let's talk --

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Happy landings!

Barb, I'm glad you made it here from my lame directions (or did some other, more lucid resource guide you?). Hope you like our new home.

Jaye

Last edited by Jaye; 06-29-2010 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Punctuation.
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
Barb, I'm glad you made it here from my lame directions (or did some other, more lucid resource guide you?). Hope you like our new home.

Jaye

HEY BARB!! I have been looking for you, on and off over the years.
I am SO happy for you!! email me at chasmob@yahooDOTcom!!!
lets talk! you have a phone?

HUGS!!
your pal;
Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Now this may sound stupid: I have had a few strange escapades in my head, including very real encounters with things that apparently do not exist, and it is actually somehow a relief to know that for once, I am not the only one to experience PD as having a fried-brain component. Or am I just selfishly relieved to know that I got off easy compared to some of you.
I had not known, before, just how courageous some of you are. And if I, a Parkie, did not fully understand who you are, imagine how far out of the loop must be some of our neighbors and overlords who really have no clue at all what we go through.
Newsflash: Parkinson's. It's not just shaking hands and shuffling feet.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (06-29-2010), paula_w (06-29-2010), vertigo (07-01-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Barb,

Welcome back!

It doesn't seem possible to send you a private message, which I would like to do? And exchange email addresses.

Muireann
Muireann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I'm new

just trying to understand what is going on with me. I've been on Mirapex for years because of intense RLS. I have noticed that my brain is not functioning properly for a while now, in fact my co-workers joke about my "lame-brain" but lately my emotions have been all over the map and I can't seem to finish a sentence easily or recall simple words. I'm told that sometimes what comes out of my mouth is not what I thought I said...anyway, for a year or so my index finger on my left hand would "twitch" every now and then but now, it always twitches if I'm not using it.....I'm not rigid or stiff....except when I first get out of bed or sit for long periods.... exercise clears that right up...the main thing that worries me is my brain function...I've become compulsive with my spending even tho I swear to myself I won't buy another piece of junk...I can't stick to any decisions I make....I'm a mess....any advice???
katcar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vertigo (07-01-2010)