Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation Imaging tool diagnosing Parkinonism

Coming soon - an FDA approved imaging technique that will document cell loss of dopamine transporter cells.

DaTscan is coming to the US. It's been used in Europe for 10 years and over 100,000 images have been taken! It's now at the FDA for approval.

Jean

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The DaTScan is a mixed blessing. As PWPs, we are told to avoid toxins. Yet submitting to a DaTScan involves having a radioactive isotope pumped into the very part of your brain that you would want to protect from said toxins. In addition, you are supposed to be given something to ingest which will protect you from potential damage from the isotope to your thyroid.

In my case, the radiographer forgot to do so. I have had two DaTScans, three years apart. I developed a much more noticeable tremor immediately after the first scan. Even my neuro now agrees that it is not wise for me to have any further scans. My scans confirmed a dx of PD, and a progression to the other side of my body.

However, having been on Dopavite [a nutritional supplement] for about five years, I am now off all drugs for the past ten months. I have a lot of pain, some rigidity and a considerable loss of dexterity. But I am better than when i was on meds. And I have my mind, my 'self' back, which I would not swop for anything.

My 'blend': no drugs, good food, plenty of exercise, Dopavite.

Muireann

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Coming soon - an FDA approved imaging technique that will document cell loss of dopamine transporter cells.

DaTscan is coming to the US. It's been used in Europe for 10 years and over 100,000 images have been taken! It's now at the FDA for approval.

Jean
Muireann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Muireann, This is TERRIBLE! I've never had a DatScan but have had 4 SPECT scans - which also use a radioactive isotope - and before each scan, I was always given something to drink that protected my thyroid.
Jean

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Muireann, This is TERRIBLE! I've never had a DatScan but have had 4 SPECT scans - which also use a radioactive isotope - and before each scan, I was always given something to drink that protected my thyroid.
Jean
Does anyone know if this is as good/better than the Flora-Dopa Pet Scan in dxing Parkinsons?
invisable is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote