Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 03:23 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up You Are Needed for Two Depression & PD Studies

Dr. Roseanne Dobkin at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Jersey is conducting two studies on PD, depression, social support and access to mental health care. Funded by the NIH, anyone in the country can participate and take the survey on the phone, the internet, or by mail. I just called and took it on the phone with Dr. Dobkin - we had a great chat about the challenges encountered by many who are trying to deal with depression in concert with PD.

One is called, "Barriers to Mental Health Care Utilization in Parkinson's Disease"

HELP US FIND ANSWERS

Dr. Roseanne Dobkin, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, at UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Jersey is conducting a national survey in order to better understand the difficulties that PD patients may experience using the mental health care system. Interested participants will be asked to fill out an anonymous survey which will take 15-30 minutes to complete. The survey can be completed online, over the telephone, or on paper.

A history of mental health treatment IS NOT required for participation. We are interested in responses from participants who have had, as well as from those who have not had, mental health treatment in the past.

Results from the study may be used to develop new strategies to improve the access to and the quality of mental health care for people with Parkinson’s disease. There is no payment for participation in this study.

the other is "Depression and Social Support in Parkinson's Disease"

A study for PD patients and their families funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Do you have PD and suffer from these symptoms?
• Getting more and more isolated
• Feel sad or empty most of the day
• Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
• Loss of interest in daily activities
• Unable to concentrate
• Feeling tired all of the time

HELP US FIND ANSWERS

Dr. Roseanne Dobkin at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Jersey is conducting a 10-week treatment study of depression in PD. The study treatment does not involve medication and helps people to change thinking patterns and behaviors that may be related to depression. Participation may take place over the phone for those who are unable to travel.

All research care including an extensive psychiatric evaluation is provided at no cost to those who qualify. A friend, family member, or significant other will also be asked to participate in the study. Participants are paid $20.00 for each study evaluation.

For either study you can contact Dr. Dobkin at 732-235-4051 for more information, or to take the survey over the phone. I tried to attach the fliers, but the files are too large to be uploaded - PM me if you would like me to email them to you.

Thanks - I hope many of you choose to participate!

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
soccertese (07-09-2010)

advertisement
Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up the fliers

Carey, if you can send me the fliers, I'll upload them to a website -then I'll provide links so people can download them.

Jean

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:30 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, Carey , for bringing this to our attention.
Both trials are detailed on the PDTrials website, also.

www.PDTrials.org

The title of the social support trial has a slightly different title:

"Barriers to Mental Healthcare Utilization in Parkinson's Disease"
http://www.pdtrials.org/en/browse/all/view/294

"Coping with Depression in Parkinson's Disease"
http://www.pdtrials.org/ in Parkinson's Disease"en/browse/all/view/166
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote