advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default This looks interesting

http://www.jungsoul.com/HealYourBrain/home.html

" Why does their tremor seem to subside when people with Parkinson's Disease (PD) are engaged in creative work?
Brain Wellness Innovators, a medical research and practice group in Sarasota, FL, has made answering this question the focus of our work. We are investigating the power of the brain to heal itself. Using the 21st-century Systems Medicine approach to protein synthesis and axonal transport, we believe the brain can forge new neuronal associations, or pathways, using consciousness -- the very function the brain performs.

Brain Wellness Innovators combines research and practice to achieve the best possible underlying matrix of health for patients suffering brain injury or illness. We are investigating clinical therapeutics by starting with Parkinson patients, to address the phenomenon (or more precisely, since this is a reality manifesting from the mind, the "noumenon") that so many have noticed -- the diminution of symptoms while performing challenging, skilled work that deeply engages their interest and enthusiasm, more simply, creative work. We use a protocol for the synergistic effect, combining Acupuncture with Neurofeedback, Tibetan Yoga, nutrition, eastern energy-exercise (Tai Chi and Chi Gong), and arts and crafts.

Acupuncture (based on the Energy Theory from Physics and Neuroscience of modern oriental medicine) brings the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system into phase, or harmony. Neurofeedback trains the brain to recognize and prolong the harmonious state of bodily energy meridians induced by acupuncture. The Tibetan discipline of Yoga trains the mind of the individual to learn to re-cognize, literally, how optimal neurotransmitter production overcomes clinical signs that once were thought to be manageable only by drugs; and the arts -- music, dance, painting, craftsmanship -- mobilize the skilled motor pathways in synchrony with the cardio-vascular system for the brain to follow and, reciprocally, to orchestrate optimal or healthy rhythms and frequencies, exercising mind and body systems."
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alongcamejones (07-15-2010), anon72219 (07-13-2010), imark3000 (07-14-2010)

advertisement
Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anyone try touch therapy?

Thanks for this inspiring, interesting discovery. This seems closely tied to finding that PWP when singing or otherwise immersed in melody lost their tremor.

Speaking of ways to wellness, i am going to leap to another alternative help us realign or reconnect at holistic level. I know that many of us realize stress in form of pent up emotion may indeed play a part in the onset of PD.I have read that touch therapy like the gentle guidance offered through the Alexander Technique has shown clinical benefit to PWP. Has anyone tried this?

I am also quite interested in Swedish technique known as Rolfing that does actually help some in the release of emotion trapped in our muscle memory and tissue. I have actually heard of people receiving a full series of 10 treatments and having a completely different posture, gait, etc. as a result.
I would also like to hear experiences with this approach too.

Thanks!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alongcamejones (07-15-2010), imark3000 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Laura,
A couple of years ago, we had a lady come to our PD support group to talk about the Alexander Technique. In about an hour she had many of us standing straight, breathing right, and some even walking normal. The Alexander Technique is all about body coordination and mental awareness. It does work if practiced.
alongcamejones (07-15-2010), imark3000 (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default rolfing

I went through the 10 treatments several years ago and continue working with a Rolfer every other week. She pays particular attention to the aspects of my movement patterning which are most locked up. I credit her care in large part with the fact that after 5+ years of symptoms, I still have no balance problems and a fairly normal gait.

I do think the success of Rolfing depends in large part on the sensitivity and diagnostic eye of the practitioner. I've been fortunate to find someone who is particularly gifted in that area. Having tried Feldenkrais techniques and Alexander work, Rolfing seems to be the most direct and dynamic of the three -- but they are all useful therapies with a well-thought out conceptual basis.

Jon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Thanks for this inspiring, interesting discovery. This seems closely tied to finding that PWP when singing or otherwise immersed in melody lost their tremor.

Speaking of ways to wellness, i am going to leap to another alternative help us realign or reconnect at holistic level. I know that many of us realize stress in form of pent up emotion may indeed play a part in the onset of PD.I have read that touch therapy like the gentle guidance offered through the Alexander Technique has shown clinical benefit to PWP. Has anyone tried this?

I am also quite interested in Swedish technique known as Rolfing that does actually help some in the release of emotion trapped in our muscle memory and tissue. I have actually heard of people receiving a full series of 10 treatments and having a completely different posture, gait, etc. as a result.
I would also like to hear experiences with this approach too.

Thanks!

Laura
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (07-15-2010), imark3000 (07-14-2010)