Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Can you say "Being squeezed" boys and girls"?

Sure you can!
In light of the world wide shortage of Sinemet and its generics, I thought this message received this morning from the boys who make Zandopa to be "interesting"-

"Thank you for your earlier orders of Zandopa in mall.coimbatore.com

We have been informed by the Company that there will be a shortage of Zandopa in the coming months due to scarcity of raw materials that go in to make Zandopa.

Hence we have made necessary arrangements to procure whatever stock is available in the market. "
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Sure you can!
In light of the world wide shortage of Sinemet and its generics, I thought this message received this morning from the boys who make Zandopa to be "interesting"-

We have been informed by the Company that there will be a shortage of Zandopa in the coming months due to scarcity of raw materials that go in to make Zandopa.

Hence we have made necessary arrangements to procure whatever stock is available in the market. "
has anyone here in u.s. experienced a significant delay in getting levodopa?
i'm sure the sinemet raw materials are way different than zandopa raw materials - mucana? - plus the l-dopa shortage from what i understand is not due to a raw material shortage but from the delay in starting up a new factory. i don't get the connection.
http://www.rpharms.com/news-stories/...th-sinemet.asp
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Sure you can!

sounds to me like it is a Commie plot to inflate prices and then keep them there.........

oh i was kidding about the Commie plot part! I would not want to offend any Communists in our midst.................

Charlie

Last edited by chasmo; 07-15-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: misspelled my name!!! now did I misspell, "misspell"
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 AM #4
anon72219

anon72219

Default How is brand name Sinemet made?

Does anyone know what the raw materials are for Sinemet?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Does anyone know what the raw materials are for Sinemet?
http://www.ajiaminoscience.com/Produ...terialNo=30506

http://www.alibaba.com/promotion/pro...tion-list.html

hard to believe raw material shortage
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Nah, conspiracies are more fun. This is just market dynamics in a market that is not very open. You get one or two companies making an agonist, good only for one illness, and cartel behavior sets in quite naturally. If too many diamonds are dug out the ground, or too much gold, or more-than-adequate supply of drugs, the price drops.
If there is a cartel, as in oil, they can prop up the price. The PD industry grew up around us and is extremely profitable. You could put a hundred angels into a system like that and many of them would end up shifting supplies around to wherever the money is. Your first few years running the pharmacy, you are all ethical and righteous. But the money is flying everywhere, and some guy comes and wants to buy all the sinemet from your pharmacy, at double the cost, so he can sell it on the internet at a price that doubles again.
Easy money, very tempting - and hey, the pills get delivered to some sick person, right? Surrounded by billions of dollars, lots of people float off very easily. No big deal if they are selling diamonds. Problem is when it is people's health on the auction block. Free market would be better than this cartel.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:43 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dawson View Post
Nah, conspiracies are more fun. This is just market dynamics in a market that is not very open. You get one or two companies making an agonist, good only for one illness, and cartel behavior sets in quite naturally. If too many diamonds are dug out the ground, or too much gold, or more-than-adequate supply of drugs, the price drops.
If there is a cartel, as in oil, they can prop up the price. The PD industry grew up around us and is extremely profitable. You could put a hundred angels into a system like that and many of them would end up shifting supplies around to wherever the money is. Your first few years running the pharmacy, you are all ethical and righteous. But the money is flying everywhere, and some guy comes and wants to buy all the sinemet from your pharmacy, at double the cost, so he can sell it on the internet at a price that doubles again.
Easy money, very tempting - and hey, the pills get delivered to some sick person, right? Surrounded by billions of dollars, lots of people float off very easily. No big deal if they are selling diamonds. Problem is when it is people's health on the auction block. Free market would be better than this cartel.
fwiw, i work with independent pharmacists in the u.s.
what exactly are you saying? i thought most people in canada and the u.k. are covered by national insurance plans, drugs are basically free? and the drug companies/wholesalers have fixed price contracts?
you forget that in the u.s. most people that don't have insurance - private, medicaid, or medicare - price shop thru large chains including costco, walmart, target, walgrens, cvs - and price gauging would be be hard to do if not stupid.

Last edited by soccertese; 07-15-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

No shortage of sinemet in the USA. Big generic outfit produces massive amounts. Americans don't "do" shortages very often. Europe and Canada negotiate or possibly impose low prices on drugs. Apotex complained a lot about that in Canada. Product becomes less profitable. Until there is "a world-wide shortage lasting from 2009 to 2011". Then, when you are calling pharmacy after pharmacy, down to a two-day supply.. then you find out there are hundreds and hundreds of sites on the internet - mostly new since the "shortage" began - all selling sinemet. Pharmacists in the UK and in other countries have been selling their stock to people who either sell it in other countries or on the internet. I have talked a lot with one postal pharmacy in India - his sales of sinemet took off in 2009 and he is booming, shipping around the world by mail. He has no trouble getting supplies of sinamet. It's just matter of money.
Something ain't right is what i'm saying. They closed factories without planning ahead? Some of us need those drugs to survive.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 PM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dawson View Post
No shortage of sinemet in the USA. Big generic outfit produces massive amounts. Americans don't "do" shortages very often. Europe and Canada negotiate or possibly impose low prices on drugs. Apotex complained a lot about that in Canada. Product becomes less profitable. Until there is "a world-wide shortage lasting from 2009 to 2011". Then, when you are calling pharmacy after pharmacy, down to a two-day supply.. then you find out there are hundreds and hundreds of sites on the internet - mostly new since the "shortage" began - all selling sinemet. Pharmacists in the UK and in other countries have been selling their stock to people who either sell it in other countries or on the internet. I have talked a lot with one postal pharmacy in India - his sales of sinemet took off in 2009 and he is booming, shipping around the world by mail. He has no trouble getting supplies of sinamet. It's just matter of money.
Something ain't right is what i'm saying. They closed factories without planning ahead? Some of us need those drugs to survive.
pharmacists in the u.k. can legally resell drugs, you mean act as wholesalers? you have proof of that?
that means the wholesalers/mfg's they buy from are cooperating because they keep a history of past purchases and would get slightly suspicious, at least in the u.s., especially if there were shortages. hard to believe they would risk loosing their licenses selling to internet pharmacies for a few bucks.

in addition, you have no idea if the internet companies are selling the real thing or counterfit, they may have increased in number selling counterfit drug due to the shortage. how many pd'ers would buy from these sites?

Last edited by soccertese; 07-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.