Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default OT: BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense

(though this article is "off topic" it makes the subsidizing of researchers by Pharma look almost feeble. madelyn)

BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense
Posted by: "Merlin Chowkwanyun" merlinc@sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 pm (PDT)

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/bp_b...tists_for.html

BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense, roiling academic communityPublished: Friday, July 16, 2010, 5:00 AM Updated: Friday, July 16, 2010, 4:14 PMBen Raines, Press-Register

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson

Last edited by Chemar; 07-18-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: blog.al.com has strict copyright!
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First hit on Bing (Google sucks) using keywords
'scientists bought by Big pharm'

The Truth about the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What To Do about It. Marcia Angell. xx + 305 pp. Random House, 2004. $24.95.

On the Take: How Medicine's Complicity with Big Business Can Endanger Your Health. Jerome P. Kassirer. xx + 251 pp. Oxford University Press, 2005. $28.

Powerful Medicines: The Benefits, Risks, and Costs of Prescription Drugs. Jerry Avorn. viii + 448 pp. Alfred A. Knopf, 2004. $27.50.

From http://www.americanscientist.org/boo...ing-big-pharma
Quote:
"Is the pharmaceutical industry a dangerous and crooked business that federal and state authorities need to bring to heel? Should those who develop, market or prescribe drugs hang their heads in shame when faced with the stark reality of what they do to earn a living? Is Big Pharma in fact the moral equivalent of the tobacco industry? One could well come away from Marcia Angell's The Truth about the Drug Companies or Jerome Kassirer's On the Take thinking so. In both books, the sort of moral opprobrium once directed against Big Tobacco is aimed squarely at the pharmaceutical industry, along with its legions of lobbyists, the politicians awash in its campaign contributions and the doctors it has bought, free meal by free meal, junket by junket, free sample by free sample and trinket by trinket."
Jak

Quote:
BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense
Posted by: "Merlin Chowkwanyun" merlinc@sas.upenn.edu
Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 pm (PDT)

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/bp_b...tists_for.html

BP buys up Gulf scientists for legal defense, roiling academic communityPublished: Friday, July 16, 2010, 5:00 AM Updated: Friday, July 16, 2010, 4:14 PMBen Raines, Press-Register
They call you heartless: but your heart is true, and I love the bashfulness of your goodwill. Ye are ashamed of your flow, and others are ashamed of their ebb. Ye are ugly? Well then, my brethren, take the sublime about you, the mantle of the ugly! - Thus spake Zarathustra.

Last edited by Chemar; 07-18-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: copyright and adding quote tags
alongcamejones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:29 PM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Arrow

just a reminder that whenever a site has copyright attached and posted, we cannot allow the entire article (and sometimes not even part of it) to be copy pasted here

thanks

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank You for that article Madelyn!

It is a prime example of how our big corporations are wagging the dog, and obstucting our political process, and our judicial system

I'll bet last dollar that BP ends up pulling the same crap, and getting away with it, just like Exxon did in the Valdez oil spill

Corporate Pharma isnt any different..I am not going to hold my breath waiting for them to cure me, as long as they can sell me meds to treat a long term illness..It is definately not in their best interest to do anything more that develop another pill to treat symptoms
Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default whoops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemar View Post
just a reminder that whenever a site has copyright attached and posted, we cannot allow the entire article (and sometimes not even part of it) to be copy pasted here

thanks
Sorry! was attempting to do too many things at once, despite the fact that I know I do not do more than one thing at a time well. and sometimes, not even when I am attempting only one thing. thanks, madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson

Last edited by olsen; 07-18-2010 at 10:34 PM.
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 PM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Let me give you something to think about. If the Gulf mess ends up at the formerly white cliffs of Dover after wiping out the US east coast, you can expect shutdown of offshore rigs and failure of some very big names. Alterntive energy takes tthe day!

Gosh, I wonder who stands to profit...

BP, one of the world’s largest integrated energy companies, is looking beyond traditional energy choices. To help conserve the earth’s precious resources, we’re focusing on new, cleaner technologies – including solar.
With over 30 years of experience and installations in over 160 countries, BP Solar is one of the world’s largest solar companies, with manufacturing facilities in the United States, Spain, India and China.
A key part of BP’s Alternative Energy business, BP Solar is a global company with over 2200 employees focused on harnessing the sun's energy to produce solar power for electricity. We design, manufacture and market solar electric systems for homeowners, businesses and governments.
BP Solar aims to provide the best quality products and services. Reliability and longevity are built into our world-class photovoltaic (PV) solar cells and modules, which undergo rigorous internal tests and external certifications to ensure peak performance and safety.
In fact, BP itself is one of the largest commercial users of solar energy in the world – we use BP Solar products at many of our own service stations, plants and offices.
To date BP Solar’s modules installed worldwide will offset more than 14 million metric tons of CO2 during their lifetime. That’s the equivalent of planting more than five million acres of trees!
Find out more
Visit BP’s global website
BP Alternative Energy
BP tackles climate change
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
alongcamejones (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:40 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Many of us do think about material like that. There is a lot of murky stuff going on. In terms of R&D for PD the economic crisis is a problem and it still looms large. I quote below. Im not sure if PD research is going well. It is certainly needed though. What was that other project you mentioned in the ICPE thread?

*edit*
And yes the US is bankrupt. Its a mess and if we try to understand the PD situation and ignore this we are being naive. This is not a negative approach. Its reality.

Jak

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Let me give you something to think about. If the Gulf mess ends up at the formerly white cliffs of Dover after wiping out the US east coast, you can expect shutdown of offshore rigs and failure of some very big names. Alterntive energy takes tthe day!

Gosh, I wonder who stands to profit...

BP, one of the world’s largest integrated energy companies, is looking beyond traditional energy choices. To help conserve the earth’s precious resources, we’re focusing on new, cleaner technologies – including solar.
With over 30 years of experience and installations in over 160 countries, BP Solar is one of the world’s largest solar companies, with manufacturing facilities in the United States, Spain, India and China.
A key part of BP’s Alternative Energy business, BP Solar is a global company with over 2200 employees focused on harnessing the sun's energy to produce solar power for electricity. We design, manufacture and market solar electric systems for homeowners, businesses and governments.
BP Solar aims to provide the best quality products and services. Reliability and longevity are built into our world-class photovoltaic (PV) solar cells and modules, which undergo rigorous internal tests and external certifications to ensure peak performance and safety.
In fact, BP itself is one of the largest commercial users of solar energy in the world – we use BP Solar products at many of our own service stations, plants and offices.
To date BP Solar’s modules installed worldwide will offset more than 14 million metric tons of CO2 during their lifetime. That’s the equivalent of planting more than five million acres of trees!
Find out more
Visit BP’s global website
BP Alternative Energy
BP tackles climate change
They call you heartless: but your heart is true, and I love the bashfulness of your goodwill. Ye are ashamed of your flow, and others are ashamed of their ebb. Ye are ugly? Well then, my brethren, take the sublime about you, the mantle of the ugly! - Thus spake Zarathustra.

Last edited by Chemar; 07-19-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: NeuroTalk guidelines on limiting political posting
alongcamejones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote