Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default grade 4 slip on l5 s1 vertabre still in agony after spinal fusion

I am a 25 yr old single mother of 2 who was diagnosed with a grade 4 slip on my l5 s1 vertabre (spondylolisthesis) mid last year, i was in alot of pain and was unable to move with pain radiating down both legs so in september last yr i was sent in for surgery after being told i had no other option.

I had invasive surgery where they placed a rod and 5 screws into my spine in attempt to fuse it, as i had a grade 4 my vertabre was completely unattached and they could not move it back in line so it had to be fused in the postion it was in, they also cut bone out of my pelvis to place into my spine (not exactly sure why they did that or where it went) and my spinal cord is curved due to the slippage on my spine.

Recovery from this operation was hell i was bed ridden for four months and had to start from baby steps in attempts to walk again without falling over.
The pain that was radiating down my legs subsided alot after the operation.

It has now been 10 months since my surgery and im am in agony the rod that they placed in my spine is sticking out of my skin (has not ripped through the skin tho) it digs into my car seat when i drive and digs into my bed if i lay on my back, ive been on so much medication and tried every cream, lotion and rub possible but nothing gives me relief. have recently had a xray to see if the metal work in my spine has moved but after comparing this xray to the one done in september after the operation it seems to look like the metal has not moved so i do not understand how the rod can be sticking out the way it is even my surgeon is stressing about having to deal with this.

I dont sleep and spend every day in agony whilest trying to be a mum and study to be a teacher.

I have another MRI and a app with the surgeon who performed my surgery in a few weeks to discuss what he wants to do, the out come of our last meeting a few weeks ago was that he wants to cut me open possibly through 2 operations one through the back and one through the front like a c section and remove all the metal work that he put in there (if it has fused) and if the MRI shows that it has not fused he said he will have to reposition the screws and rod that he put in place as it is causing me so much discomfort and pain.

I was told when the fusion was done that it would be in there for life so to be told now that im going to have to under go surgery to have it all removed i am really very worried and scared.
My body did not cope well through the first operation i had a resp rate of 2 beats per min and was in screaming agony even though my GP had me on about 7 different types of opiods at one stage when i was discharged from hospital.
I was given no rehabilitation to help me cope basically i felt like i was doing it all on my own.
I took myself off all my medication because i felt like i was in a coma for 4 months as i spent every day in bed unable to move and i got really sick which has had me in and out of hospital for the better part of this year.

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me as i feel i am at my breaking point and can not take much more of this pain or life style that i now have, i used to be very active with sports and playing with my children now i cannot do the every day things people take for granted i cannot even go food shooping with out ending up in tears from pain overlaod.

I have recently been put back on oxycontin after trying to bear the pain for the past few months just on 100mg durogesic pain patches (that i cannot use any more due to alot of side effects) it has jus got too much for me to handle.

I Have tried a whole list of medications that dont seem to help now im at a point where i dont want to put all this nasty medication into my system. there must be another option?...

Am desperate and appreciative for any advice on this matter....Is there anything i can do for relief and should i under go this second surgery i dont think i can bare to go through all of that again but cannot continue living like this..

Thank you for your time
melissa25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hmmm,
I don't know if I would go back to the same surgeon, unless he is highly rated and this might have just been one of those bad luck outcomes.

I think a review of your case & surgery by an independent surgeon {or 2} for input would be worth your time.

And it seems at some point they should have set you up with some phys therapy - for pain relief as well as addressing the changes to your body.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:08 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sweetie, RUN AWAY FROM THAT SURGEON!!! That surgery was NOT done right, from my viewpoint!!! This does NOT sound right, and you should see another surgeon for his opinion. Get an appointment RIGHT NOW to see another surgeon and see what he says. Many surgeons don't like to do surgery on another surgeon's patient but if he sees this and sees that it was done VERY VERY WRONG, I'm sure he'll take you on. This just does not sound right to me.

Ask your doctor to get a referral for you right now. This isn't right. Something bad could happen and you need to be seen soon. Do it, ok??? God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:36 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Jo*Mar
Thank you for your reply....Yeah apparently my surgeon is highly rated but i do feel a little like it went wrong...well its obvious something is not right and on discharge i was never folllowed up on never even recieved a how are u call?? never reffered to a physio was told there was no point have jus started to see a chiro as my neck n upper back is starting to be out of whack due to pressure from my lower back. Its going to cost a few hundred jus to even get a app with another surgeon but i will try calling one tommorrow as my app with my surgeon is next tuesday.
Thank You for your reply
Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Mad

Dear Leesa
Firstly Thank You for your reply.
I am feeling a little like the surgery was done wrong but keep getting told that it was a hard task to perform and no one wanted to do it....apparently my grade 4 slip is the worse they have seen and im only 25
Im trying to get a app with another surgery but my doc doesnt want to refer me so im trying to fit into a gap in the system somewhere which is hard it will also cost hundreds to get a app with a surgeon and have been advised that a independant surgeon could charge me up to $20,000 or more to do my surgery..being a single mum with 2 kids jus on a pension with no child support i dont have that kind of money laying around! Feeling like a lost cause at the moment am wishing for another option or a miracle but my surgeon app is on tuesday so time is running out...scared what he is going to say about what is going to be done to my back. I will try get a app to atleast talk to another surgeon tommorrow *fingers crossed*
Thank You For your reply it is appreciated alot *hugs*
Old 05-28-2011, 09:43 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Spndylolisthesis grade 3

Melissa,
I can relate to you. I just found out that I have grade 3 spndylolisthesis and I'm 32 years old. I am a mother of four and very active. I've had consistant pain for 5 months now with no exercise. I know that I am too young to deal with this pain off and on the rest of my life. I have an appointment to see a Neurosergeon and will hopefully be able to get all of my questions answered. I'm wondering what others have to say about their life after surgery? Is anyone able to run again? What about flexability? Yoga? I'm not sure if I'll even need it, but after speaking with others in the medical field and reading, I feel like I'm prolonging the enevidable(surgery). Does anyone out there almost have their original active life back? I'd appreciate all thoughts on this. Thanks! I hope by now you've completly recovered and are well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa25 View Post
Dear Leesa
Firstly Thank You for your reply.
I am feeling a little like the surgery was done wrong but keep getting told that it was a hard task to perform and no one wanted to do it....apparently my grade 4 slip is the worse they have seen and im only 25
Im trying to get a app with another surgery but my doc doesnt want to refer me so im trying to fit into a gap in the system somewhere which is hard it will also cost hundreds to get a app with a surgeon and have been advised that a independant surgeon could charge me up to $20,000 or more to do my surgery..being a single mum with 2 kids jus on a pension with no child support i dont have that kind of money laying around! Feeling like a lost cause at the moment am wishing for another option or a miracle but my surgeon app is on tuesday so time is running out...scared what he is going to say about what is going to be done to my back. I will try get a app to atleast talk to another surgeon tommorrow *fingers crossed*
Thank You For your reply it is appreciated alot *hugs*
piper8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default all the best

Melissa, I feel crushed by your story. I would really recommend to change surgeon and get some really top surgeon. you need help !!! and you need someone who will help with your condition. You might need some more surgery to correct your condition. But you are young and that is a big advantage. the body can heal a lot faster. So that is a good position to be ( although you may not think it is)
there is some incredible surgeon in memorial houston hospital, ( which are treating the congressman Gifford who was shot). I have being at their sport and medecine clinic with really good result, I can asked them for referral ??
you have only one body, and there is good people outhere. don't despair search and search for help..
kind regards
virginie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa25 View Post
I am a 25 yr old single mother of 2 who was diagnosed with a grade 4 slip on my l5 s1 vertabre (spondylolisthesis) mid last year, i was in alot of pain and was unable to move with pain radiating down both legs so in september last yr i was sent in for surgery after being told i had no other option.

I had invasive surgery where they placed a rod and 5 screws into my spine in attempt to fuse it, as i had a grade 4 my vertabre was completely unattached and they could not move it back in line so it had to be fused in the postion it was in, they also cut bone out of my pelvis to place into my spine (not exactly sure why they did that or where it went) and my spinal cord is curved due to the slippage on my spine.

Recovery from this operation was hell i was bed ridden for four months and had to start from baby steps in attempts to walk again without falling over.
The pain that was radiating down my legs subsided alot after the operation.

It has now been 10 months since my surgery and im am in agony the rod that they placed in my spine is sticking out of my skin (has not ripped through the skin tho) it digs into my car seat when i drive and digs into my bed if i lay on my back, ive been on so much medication and tried every cream, lotion and rub possible but nothing gives me relief. have recently had a xray to see if the metal work in my spine has moved but after comparing this xray to the one done in september after the operation it seems to look like the metal has not moved so i do not understand how the rod can be sticking out the way it is even my surgeon is stressing about having to deal with this.

I dont sleep and spend every day in agony whilest trying to be a mum and study to be a teacher.

I have another MRI and a app with the surgeon who performed my surgery in a few weeks to discuss what he wants to do, the out come of our last meeting a few weeks ago was that he wants to cut me open possibly through 2 operations one through the back and one through the front like a c section and remove all the metal work that he put in there (if it has fused) and if the MRI shows that it has not fused he said he will have to reposition the screws and rod that he put in place as it is causing me so much discomfort and pain.

I was told when the fusion was done that it would be in there for life so to be told now that im going to have to under go surgery to have it all removed i am really very worried and scared.
My body did not cope well through the first operation i had a resp rate of 2 beats per min and was in screaming agony even though my GP had me on about 7 different types of opiods at one stage when i was discharged from hospital.
I was given no rehabilitation to help me cope basically i felt like i was doing it all on my own.
I took myself off all my medication because i felt like i was in a coma for 4 months as i spent every day in bed unable to move and i got really sick which has had me in and out of hospital for the better part of this year.

I would really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me as i feel i am at my breaking point and can not take much more of this pain or life style that i now have, i used to be very active with sports and playing with my children now i cannot do the every day things people take for granted i cannot even go food shooping with out ending up in tears from pain overlaod.

I have recently been put back on oxycontin after trying to bear the pain for the past few months just on 100mg durogesic pain patches (that i cannot use any more due to alot of side effects) it has jus got too much for me to handle.

I Have tried a whole list of medications that dont seem to help now im at a point where i dont want to put all this nasty medication into my system. there must be another option?...

Am desperate and appreciative for any advice on this matter....Is there anything i can do for relief and should i under go this second surgery i dont think i can bare to go through all of that again but cannot continue living like this..

Thank you for your time
swimwithmanta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote