Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default cervical decompressive laminectomy C5-6 & 7

I had a laminectomy in 02, for left side numbness in my left hand and a chain saw feeling in my neck by days end. After surgery while in recovery, all the pain and numbness went from left side to right side. Dr. assured me it would go away with time. Also, at c7 during surgery, the surgeon cut my dura sac, and today that is where my problem is.
Here it is 8 years later, and only gotten worse on right side, sever numbness in right hand, to the point of dropping things, chain saw feeling continues in my neck region and around shoulder blade. Atrophy very obvious in right hand between thumb and forefinger.
I have been dx with fibro, several years ago, with no relief, Rheumatologist, suggested we find out how much pain is coming from fibro vs neuro. I felt that was reasonable.
I go have mri's of cervical, impression: increase in the myelomalacia of the cord, both in width as well as its cephalocaudal dimension, central disc protrusion: c3-4.
Went to neurosurgeon, took all of my records, emgs (which shows chronic radiculopathy c7)(I have had many emgs, saying the same) mri, and all of my complaints, numbness worsening, sore to touch, chain saw feeling, electric shocks, & etc. stated nothing could be done, but did not give be an answer of what was causing my problems.
My question is: what can happen with a continued increase in myelomalacia of the cord, could it be causing my problems. I do understand chronic means, basically live with it.
Any info or suggestions would be very much appreciated
kennetha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, The only thing I can find is that you had a herniated disc at C3-4. I cannot find anywhere the term "myelomalacia." What IS it??? It's NOT listed in this dictionary. Neither is "cephalocaudal". What is THAT??? Without knowing either one of these, we cannot give you the help you want. If you can help us with these 2 words, then we can give you the help you want.

Thanks. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Well, The only thing I can find is that you had a herniated disc at C3-4. I cannot find anywhere the term "myelomalacia." What IS it??? It's NOT listed in this dictionary. Neither is "cephalocaudal". What is THAT??? Without knowing either one of these, we cannot give you the help you want. If you can help us with these 2 words, then we can give you the help you want.

Thanks. Peace, Lee
myelomalacia: softening of the spinal cord/ no blood flow in cord/injuried
cephalocaudal: when I looked this up, in () it stated width, but I am not sure

You know I understand, the impression, is what the doc goes on, but reading the findings, look pretty scary.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetha View Post
myelomalacia: softening of the spinal cord/ no blood flow in cord/injuried
cephalocaudal: when I looked this up, in () it stated width, but I am not sure

You know I understand, the impression, is what the doc goes on, but reading the findings, look pretty scary.
[B][I]pertaining to the long axis of the body, or the relationship between the head and the base of the spine. Also called cephalocercal [sef′əlōsur′kəl] .
Old 08-05-2010, 03:27 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

pertaining to the long axis of the body, or the relationship between the head and the base of the spine. Also called cephalocercal [sef′əlōsur′kəl] .
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Did they tell you what caused the myelomalacia in the first place? If we knew that, it would be helpful. When you looked it up, what did they say about it, as far as it's cause??? It must have said something. That would be very helpful to know.

If you can find out what it said, let us know. I can't find it anywhere. LOL. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Did they tell you what caused the myelomalacia in the first place? If we knew that, it would be helpful. When you looked it up, what did they say about it, as far as it's cause??? It must have said something. That would be very helpful to know.

If you can find out what it said, let us know. I can't find it anywhere. LOL. Hugs, Lee
Myelomalacia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelomalacia

Quote:
MRI image shows spinal bleeding (myelomalacia).Myelomalacia is a pathological term referring the softening of the spinal cord.[1] Hemorrhagic infarction (bleeding) of the spinal cord that can occur as a sequel to acute injury, such as that caused by intervertebral disc extrusion (being forced or pressed out) is the cause of myelomalacia. [2] The disorder causes flaccid paraplegia (impairment of motor function in lower extremities), total areflexia (below normal or absence of reflexes) of the pelvic limbs and ****, loss of deep pain perception caudal (in the coccyx) to the site of spinal cord injury, muscular atrophy (wasting away of muscle tissue), depressed mental state, and respiratory difficulty due to intercostal (muscles that run between the ribs) and diaphragmatic paralysis. [3] Gradual cranial migration of the neurological deficits (problems relating to the nervous system), is known as ascending syndrome and is said to be a typical feature of diffuse myelomalacia. Although clinical signs of myelomalacia are observed within the onset (start) of paraplegia, sometimes they may become evident only in the post-operative period, or even days after the onset of paraplegia. Death from myelomalacia may occur as a result of respiratory paralysis when the ascending lesion (abnormal damaged tissue) reaches the motor nuclei of the phrenic nerves (nerves between the C3-C5 region of the spine) in the cervical (neck) region[
Above is what myelomalacia is. The only reason I came on this thread, was to maybe communicate with someone that is going thru similar problems that I am. It is called a second opinion. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited by Chemar; 08-06-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: adding link and quote tags as per Wikipedia terms of use/copy