Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 07:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Digital camera

I have been meaning to buy a digital camera. I have a Dell Photo AIO 926 and a Dell Windows XP (Intel Pentium D inside) computer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by whispers; 08-18-2010 at 07:32 AM. Reason: forgot the word 'computer'
whispers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-18-2010, 11:32 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

A part of how I chose my camera by how it feels & how the buttons fit for me.
If they aren't comfortable for your hands & fingers to reach & use ?

some had awkward buttons/controls - at least for me anyway.

If you stay in the top name brands you should be fine.

I really like to go into the stores and try them out - the bigger electronics stores have them on & usable so users can see how they feel & how each brand is set up - with the menus and options etc.

All digital cameras should be compatible to any computer & printer -so you should have no problems on compatibility.

top digital cameras of 2010 - some ratings & reviews links

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...31cdd35a4d476d

the newer version of my camera is on the list -[With the Sp-800UZ, Olympus introduced the world’s longest ultra-zoom camera. It features a 30x wide-angle optical zoom packed into a compact body that can go with you everywhere. Rounding out the Sp-800UZ’s features are one-touch 720p HD video recording, a 3-inch LCD display and dual image stabilization.] mine is the 500uz.

I found the camera I finally bought in an upscale pawn shop. I tried 3 cameras in the store and this one was by far the best deal and what I was looking for. Got it for half the price of a new one.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Thanks

Hi Jo*mar . Thank you for all the explanation and the URL. Good suggestion: to try the different cameras and how they feel. I shouldn't have to struggle with my hands and fingers. That is a very good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
A part of how I chose my camera by how it feels & how the buttons fit for me.
If they aren't comfortable for your hands & fingers to reach & use ?

some had awkward buttons/controls - at least for me anyway.

If you stay in the top name brands you should be fine.

I really like to go into the stores and try them out - the bigger electronics stores have them on & usable so users can see how they feel & how each brand is set up - with the menus and options etc.

All digital cameras should be compatible to any computer & printer -so you should have no problems on compatibility.

top digital cameras of 2010 - some ratings & reviews links

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...31cdd35a4d476d

the newer version of my camera is on the list -[With the Sp-800UZ, Olympus introduced the world’s longest ultra-zoom camera. It features a 30x wide-angle optical zoom packed into a compact body that can go with you everywhere. Rounding out the Sp-800UZ’s features are one-touch 720p HD video recording, a 3-inch LCD display and dual image stabilization.] mine is the 500uz.

I found the camera I finally bought in an upscale pawn shop. I tried 3 cameras in the store and this one was by far the best deal and what I was looking for. Got it for half the price of a new one.
whispers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We have an Olympus camera that is wonderful and isn't too big or too heavy for me to use. But I bought myself a Canon SD1200 last year. It's small, light weight, takes great pictures and just recently I used the video and it worked as good as my Olympus. The only thing Olympus does better is in it's zoom (ours is 18x). But the Canon is easier to carry in my purse.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
whispers (08-21-2010)
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb depends on what you take pics of...

I have a super zoom camera....great for nature and candid shots, and also for regular stuff.

I have the first Sony zoom...with motion stabilization and other features. Since back then in 2006 they have improved them further and I want the new 20x zoom now.

Look in my album to see what it does. It even takes pics in the dark. I did that once for a toad that we found sitting in our cats water container at 4am once.

The new super zoom Sony is expensive but it does so many things... it is an automatic like mine, but converts to manual for SLR type functions. I wouldn't have any other type given our needs for pictures. It took me 3 months to choose a camera. Consumer Reports often reviews digital cameras and is a good resource. Also Steve's digicam pages are good.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
It was after reading Steve's page on the Sony that I decided on it over Canon and Kodak.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
whispers (08-28-2010)