ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 11:50 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Blais’ army continues waging heroic battle

Blais’ army continues waging heroic battle

01:00 AM EST on Saturday, February 10, 2007

BY CAROLYN THORNTON

Journal Sports Writer

Jonathan Blais’ battle with Lou Gehrig’s Disease has inspired students and fellow triathletes to help raise funds.

The Providence Journal / Bob Breidenbach
When Jonathan Blais was told by doctors on May 2, 2005 that he had been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, he wasted no time developing a plan of action.

The Seekonk native and Rhode Island College graduate quickly came to grips with the cold hard reality that the progressively debilitating disease, commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, would soon ravage his body, and because no cure has been found, it would likely take his life within five years.

Although there was no hope for Blais, the 35-year-old special education teacher decided that he would spend every day that he has left creating more awareness about ALS and raising money for research so that those diagnosed in the future don’t receive the same death sentence as he and others currently battling the neurodegenerative disease that relentlessly attacks the motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord.

The Blazeman, as he is known to his friends, has led an aggressive crusade over the last two years. Realizing that he couldn’t do it alone, he has mobilized an army of triathletes — he calls them Team Blazeman Warriors — to help with his War on ALS, which he has extensively documented on his Web site http://www.alswarriorpoet.com.

Through various types of events, including tomorrow’s ALS Spin-A-Thon, they have raised more than $150,000 to help fund ALS medical research and to aid those with ALS in need of financial assistance.

Less than a year and a half since he became the first person with ALS to complete the Ironman World Championship in 2005, Blais — who was honored last Saturday at the Competitor Endurance Sports Awards Gala — is already confined to a wheelchair. He can perform very limited movements, has great difficulty speaking and requires round-the-clock care.

His mission continues, however, thanks to the far-reaching network that he created in a very short time.

John Wolski, a 41-year-old triathlete and environmental scientist from Chicago, is one of the many now carrying the torch for Blais. He did not know Blais until he watched him complete the grueling Ironman Triathlon. But after hearing his story, Wolski and training buddy Bob Mitera knew immediately that they wanted to become involved.

“After I saw him, I thought, ‘Wow, that is just amazing,’ ” Wolski said. “I had just finished doing an Ironman myself, so I know how hard it is for an able-bodied person to do. Bob and I went out for a run and decided we’ve got to do something. This guy in our own triathlon community needs our help.

“Jon realizes what his fate is,” added Wolski. “He knows he has a limited time, and he’s committed so much to helping somebody else. He’s very unselfish, and that’s just an inspiring thing.”

Wolski and Mitera came up with the idea for the ALS Spin-A-Thon last year. The inaugural event, which consisted of six spin-a-thons held simultaneously around the country, raised approximately $7,300 for The Blazeman Foundation.

``For me and a lot of people, Jon has taught us a lesson, and that is that essentially life is short,” Wolski said. ``You can be a healthy person one day and then look what can happen. This is a horrible thing, and there has been absolutely no progress. Jon offers a powerful message. He’s given us perspective, and this is our way of thanking him for reminding us of that.”

Mitera describes Wolski and himself as “just regular guys trying to help.”

“For me (and Wolski), we were shocked that no treatment or good analysis had been done on ALS,” he said. “If you get diagnosed in 2007, you get the same treatment as Lou (Gehrig) got in 1939 — nothing. To me, that is unacceptable and deserves attention and action.”

Tomorrow’s ALS Spin-A-Thon consists of 17 events, including one hosted by the Providence Triathlon Team and Foundry Sports Medicine & Fitness in Providence, that will take place throughout the U.S. and Canada with others planning on spinning later this month or in March

Individuals and teams will raise money as they spin for a total of 16½ hours — the same amount of time that it took Blais to cover the 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run at the 2005 Ironman Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii.

The public is invited to participate in the Providence Spin-A-Thon, which will begin at 10 a.m. at 285 Promenade St.

“Foundry does have about a dozen spin bikes for people without their own bike or indoor trainer,” said Ed Casey of the Providence Triathlon Team. “But we are encouraging people to bring their own equipment.”

The Providence event -- which will go until 1 p.m., but perhaps longer if the response is great enough, also will feature door prizes, a raffle and a competition, with a $10 fee, to see who can bike the fastest mile and fastest 5K course.

As an added incentive, two individuals who wish to remain anonymous have each offered to match the total donations raised in Providence, up to $1,000.

For information, visit http://wwwspinforals.com or call Foundry Sports Medicine & Fitness at (401) 459-4008.

cthorn@projo.com

ALS/MND Registry

Last edited by BobbyB; 02-13-2007 at 12:59 PM.
BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement