Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 02:21 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 6 wks Post l-5 S1 fusion EXHAUSTION!

New to this site and looking for input into how long this feeling of exhaustion lasts after L4-5 S-1 fusion with instrumentation. Spasms are very, very minimal almost like butterflies twitching in lt leg. No foot pain or electricity any longer. Dull ache after standing for 10 mins. But main thing is that I am totally wiped out after being up for short periods of time, doing nothing but watching tv. Then I have to lie down & sleep for hours. Please share experiences with me. I appreciate any input! I am 63 yrs old, by the way. Have been out of work since April '10 and would like to go back to work by Oct '10. Whaddya think?

Kanike
Kanike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ You've got to remember that you've had some major surgery and trauma done to your body/spine and it's going to take you some time to recover. This is no picnic. LOL. Just do what you can do and take things slowly. Your body is trying to tell you what you need to know. Perhaps start walking a little everyday and increase the length of your walk daily. This will help build up your strength and walking is the best thing for a spiney. If you find that it is too much for you, then cut back. Just do what your body is telling you.

If by October you don't think you've recovered sufficiently, and you're still too tired, call your doctor and see what he thinks. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote