advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSI wait time

Hi,
I was wondering what the time most people wait for SSI.

I live in Northern California.

I have filed SSD also, but I think the SSI will process first.

I think it is about 5 months.

Also do most people get SSI back pay, and how quickly?

Thank you.
frankros is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankros View Post
Hi,

Thank you.

Hi -
The average wait time for a decision tends to vary from state to state, and as I don't work in California my numbers may be a little off.

And, of course, every case varies, but on average in my experience once you apply it takes 2-3 weeks for the social security office to get your case transferred to the disability office where it is assigned to your disability examiner. The medical review portion generally takes between 60-90 days barring unforeseen events (if you are hospitalized, have surgery, etc are examples of what might prolong a case). After that, you would generally receive your letter with the determination within a week of the examiner closing the case unless it has been selected for review (a certain percentage of cases are randomly chose for review by our review board) and this can add another 4-6 weeks

I have been able to close cases in 2 weeks and I have had cases last 6 months. But the above numbers are the average in my experience. The best way to help your case go as quickly as possible is to complete and return your function reports as quickly as possible (you'll get those in the mail once your case is assigned to an examiner) and keep your examiner informed of any hospital visits, etc.

Hope this helps!
kallixenia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010), Mycah (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 05:55 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default not understanding???

I am 38, diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Personality Disorder, and Panic , recently a month ago approved for benefits. The letter said I met the requirements dor SSDI. I began receiving state SSI at the medical insurance level, but Social Security told me I have an SSDI backpayment of $9,800.00. That it would be in my account in 3 to 5 days. When that expired I get no answers. I am told that my benefit of 691 dollars a month will be in fed SSI. $3 dollars in state because they handle insurance. So I ask, where is the SSDI backpay? Then I am told that I will get a letter because it is being determined on how much the SSI offset the SSDI? I am confused? Today I was told direct that August of last year until now is being held as backpay while they determine if SSI was eligible for me. When that is done I will get a letter about back pay. So does this mean they are trying to take my back pay away? I am recieving SSI, although they called it SSDI benefits in the beginning. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Lawyers say not to worry , you'll get your back pay. That I was found eligible for SSDI so they have to computate. My question is computate what. A hypothetical number of money I didn't recieve? I am lost
mich101 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
Frankros

Some people who apply for SSI never get it. Some SSI claims are approved and paid in less than 30 days. But most decisions are made in 3-6 months. Can be a denial.

Statistically, 2 out of 3 initial claims are denied. The goal for processing the case is just under 100 days. Some people file appeals. Appeals can be denied, appealed further, denied appealed further. For years.

SSI claims are paid effective with the month after application, if date of onset is established with the month of application or earlier. If an SSI claimant is owed more than six months of retroactive benefits, those benefits are paid in three installments, six months apart AFTER a favorable decision.

Unless a favorable decision is made in 30 days, every SSI claim that is approved has back pay (retroactive benefits). Can be one month, six months, nine months, 3 years, etc. But it is never any earlier than the month of application.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am in Nor Cal too and I didnt apply to ssi.. but they signed me up for it. I got a denied with in a month - it was a little short of a month. I am still waiting for ssdi - I am going on month 7.. and still waiting. I have been referred to a chonic pain program and I think tehy are just waiting to see what that is.

I will say though last month they sent me to a doctor - and now want me to see a psych. I see the psych next week. I saw their doc about a month ago... which .. was a super huge joke. I dont want to laugh.. but it was sad.. sillly and frankly i wonder if I had the janitor.

Cant wait to see the psych if that was their idea of a physical exam.
luna11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 12:15 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich101 View Post
I am 38, diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Personality Disorder, and Panic , recently a month ago approved for benefits. The letter said I met the requirements dor SSDI. I began receiving state SSI at the medical insurance level, but Social Security told me I have an SSDI backpayment of $9,800.00. That it would be in my account in 3 to 5 days. When that expired I get no answers. I am told that my benefit of 691 dollars a month will be in fed SSI. $3 dollars in state because they handle insurance. So I ask, where is the SSDI backpay? Then I am told that I will get a letter because it is being determined on how much the SSI offset the SSDI? I am confused? Today I was told direct that August of last year until now is being held as backpay while they determine if SSI was eligible for me. When that is done I will get a letter about back pay. So does this mean they are trying to take my back pay away? I am recieving SSI, although they called it SSDI benefits in the beginning. Does this make sense to anyone out there? Lawyers say not to worry , you'll get your back pay. That I was found eligible for SSDI so they have to computate. My question is computate what. A hypothetical number of money I didn't recieve? I am lost
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0202610005

This is a beginning of an explanation.

SSI is a public assistance program. SSI payments are based on income that you actually received during the retroactive period, month by month. Windfall offset is a second computation of how much the SSI would have been if the SSDI had been paid on time. The difference between the two is windfall offset and the amount is subtracted/offset from the retroactive SSDI benefits.

It is easy to get confused. You should have an SSI award letter that explains how the SSI retroactive benefits were computed and what the total amount is. SSA needs to do the computation that is the difference between what was paid in SSI and what would have been paid if the SSDI had been paid on time. It is even possible that the SSI will be paid in installments, six months apart.

Study the numbers in both award letters. Or go talk to someone in your local office. You will not get $691 a month from SSI and $691 from SSDI. That would be a windfall.

Some people consider windfall offset to be paying back the SSI. That may be easier to understand although it's not totally correct.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
It takesa miniumum of 3 months ( I received my anser in 3 months). Beter check about SSI bcak pay, I thought only SSDI gave back pay not SSI. I'll try and check it out for you but maybe someone else who gets SSI can tell you.
Respectfully,
Trudi
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
I checked on SSI backpay and you only get backpay from the date of the applicatioin whereas SSDI pays from the onset date of the disability given that you stopped working on hat date.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was just accepted today (South Dakota) and it took 3 months to the day.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
frankros (10-06-2010)