Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:54 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lumbar 4/5 failed operation and suspended surgeon!

This is my first visit and it's good to see so many people that 'understand' how this pain thing goes.
My story is sent from Scotland UK. I had a discectomy in June 09 and a brilliant result... for 3-4 months. I paid £5k for the op privately, and when the pain recurred I found our my surgeon had been suspended by the General Medical Council for an interim 18 months.
I'm now waiting for an NHS appointment (can't afford more private bills) and I have been warned by many that a second operation on the same disc is a bad idea, but I can't go on like this with a life that has shrunk to a minimal range although I am forcing myself back to work tomorrow. This episode is now the second recurrance since the operation and I'm getting fed up and depressed about my future - I'm only 48 and a young normally (when pain free) outgoing person in most every way.

Any thoughts for me??

Gill
Gilly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's hard to know what to advise. It is not uncommon for the disc to reherniate after a discectomy. Usually it lasts longer than 3-4 months, but still, it would eventually reherniate anyway so you just got it over with sooner. LOL. Having additional surgery to remove MORE of the disc is kind of "iffy." You need as much of the disc there as possible. It would be better to try to stay as conservative as possible and see if you can't get into pain management. Do you have such clinics in Scotland? If so, they can teach you the proper back mechanics to strengthen the back muscles so this doesn't keep happening ~ cause it probably will. Also, they help you to manage the pain.

The trouble with surgery is it just begets more surgery. I'm really surprised that you didn't say the level above or below hadn't failed. That's generally what happens ~ After I had L4-5 operated on, L3-4 failed. Then I had that operated on, and now the whole spine is a wreck. This was before the internet, and before I'd done any research on spines. Now I know better!!!

If you can - stay conservative. If you can't - be prepared. God bless and take care. Hugs, Leesa
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 AM #3
anon21816

anon21816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
This is my first visit and it's good to see so many people that 'understand' how this pain thing goes.
My story is sent from Scotland UK. I had a discectomy in June 09 and a brilliant result... for 3-4 months. I paid £5k for the op privately, and when the pain recurred I found our my surgeon had been suspended by the General Medical Council for an interim 18 months.
I'm now waiting for an NHS appointment (can't afford more private bills) and I have been warned by many that a second operation on the same disc is a bad idea, but I can't go on like this with a life that has shrunk to a minimal range although I am forcing myself back to work tomorrow. This episode is now the second recurrance since the operation and I'm getting fed up and depressed about my future - I'm only 48 and a young normally (when pain free) outgoing person in most every way.

Any thoughts for me??

Gill
Hi Gill

Im only reading your post today. Im from Ireland and am 2 years older than you. I too was a very active woman with a job and two dogs. Loved life and getting out there every day. But unfortunately I too was cut off from all that with this awful back problem. I have Failed Back Syndrome for the past 5 1/2 years. Like you I had a discetomy in April 05 after having back pain in my lumber L4/L5 area. But I didnt get any relief. Over the following months I had numerous epidurals and nerve block injections done on my back. But this wasnt much help either. I also had a Rhizotomy done and some IV drips for Ketamin and Lignucaine.

After all this I was advised that a Spinal Fusion would be the next step, after having 2 between L4/L5 and L5/S1 it was no good. I still had the constant pain and couldnt return to work. Finally I have had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in the past 7 weeks, which is helping about 50% of the time.

I hope I havent put you off by writing this. But when I hear of anyone with back problems and they wonder what the next step should be, I (and please this is only my thinking.......you must decide for yourself)would say NO MORE SURGERY!!! I will say that Im worse now than I was at the start when I had the first op......I have constant pain, burning, throbbing pain in my pain and down my legs. I feel this is all from the operations and maybe I should have kept on the more conservated lines than getting more surgery. Ive had 5 ops in total!. I had to take early retirement from work and cant do a lot without being sore and weary.
Today Im a bit better than I was after this implant. Im definitely more relaxed. It has helped me somewhat.
I hope you get a little insight from what I have been through. If you have any other queries or questions please just ask me and I will try to be of help to you. There are a lot of great people on this site who all have the same or similiar circumstances. So keep asking the questions ok

Take care

Jackie
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote