advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 02:50 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin Getting SSI! :)

I am THRILLED!

My mom helped me apply for SSI 3 months ago (to the day!)

We had recently been talking with a lady who was helping us through the process (who works for them). She stated that if it were up to her, that she would award me the benefits--she could see that it was needed, and she understood because she has a disabled son a few years younger than me living at home.

I was just about going to be denied (she said so) by one doctor who was not willing to reconsider. She personally took my case to another doctor for a second opinion, and she called to say that pretty soon I will be getting a letter awarding me benefits! I am so incredibly thankful for all of her help.

We were sure we were going to get denied, especially after she said that the doctor wasn't agreeing with her. But she got a second opinion and thanks to her, I am finally going to get some money and Medicaid!

Money each month for my bills and to pay my mom rent... I've been living at home with her and not able to help out because I have no income.. but now I can pay her the rest she deserves... and since my medical and prescriptions will ALL be paid for (100%), I will, for once in my life, have a little bit of money to put in savings or to spend!

I am so thrilled.

Of course, I would MUCH rather NOT have all these disabilities/illnesses... and be teaching right now and earning money. But, since that isn't an option, this is the next best thing. She told me "now it's time to just take care of yourself". I can stop worrying each day about the bills and how my medical bills are being turned over to collection agencies... it's all taken care of and I can just focus on getting better! Nothing could make me happier... except if I were to be miraculously healed!

I am relieved... this is a huge huge burden taken off my shoulders, and my moms as well. I am so surprised that it only took 3 months... I've heard it can take 2-5 years, but usually takes at least 6 months. And after this lady's last phone call, I was sure I would get denied and would have to find a lawyer to appeal. I am just so happy about all of this. I'm sure those of you who have been in the same position know what I mean!

For those of you still going through the process, I wish you lots and lots of luck!

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! God is good! He was good to me this past May and I was approved. It took me 17 months, which I still consider good because as you said, it could take years.

You sound so happy. I am happy for you!

Take care!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
smae (09-21-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Mae View Post
I am THRILLED!

My mom helped me apply for SSI 3 months ago (to the day!)

We had recently been talking with a lady who was helping us through the process (who works for them). She stated that if it were up to her, that she would award me the benefits--she could see that it was needed, and she understood because she has a disabled son a few years younger than me living at home.

I was just about going to be denied (she said so) by one doctor who was not willing to reconsider. She personally took my case to another doctor for a second opinion, and she called to say that pretty soon I will be getting a letter awarding me benefits! I am so incredibly thankful for all of her help.

We were sure we were going to get denied, especially after she said that the doctor wasn't agreeing with her. But she got a second opinion and thanks to her, I am finally going to get some money and Medicaid!

Money each month for my bills and to pay my mom rent... I've been living at home with her and not able to help out because I have no income.. but now I can pay her the rest she deserves... and since my medical and prescriptions will ALL be paid for (100%), I will, for once in my life, have a little bit of money to put in savings or to spend!

I am so thrilled.

Of course, I would MUCH rather NOT have all these disabilities/illnesses... and be teaching right now and earning money. But, since that isn't an option, this is the next best thing. She told me "now it's time to just take care of yourself". I can stop worrying each day about the bills and how my medical bills are being turned over to collection agencies... it's all taken care of and I can just focus on getting better! Nothing could make me happier... except if I were to be miraculously healed!

I am relieved... this is a huge huge burden taken off my shoulders, and my moms as well. I am so surprised that it only took 3 months... I've heard it can take 2-5 years, but usually takes at least 6 months. And after this lady's last phone call, I was sure I would get denied and would have to find a lawyer to appeal. I am just so happy about all of this. I'm sure those of you who have been in the same position know what I mean!

For those of you still going through the process, I wish you lots and lots of luck!
One thing to remember is that the SSI resource limit is $2000 and that includes money in the bank and cash at home and money of yours that someone else is holding on to for you.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501110003
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501110210
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, that is what I have heard. Was there something I said that made you say that, or was that just a general reminder?

Just asking, because I am wondering if I implied that I'd just save it all up for later.. that was never my intention.. I realize that I can only have a certain amount... though I am not sure how I will keep spending money on things.. I've spent my whole life living under the poverty level, and so I don't see how I will find a way to spend all that money every month. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
One thing to remember is that the SSI resource limit is $2000 and that includes money in the bank and cash at home and money of yours that someone else is holding on to for you.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501110003
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501110210

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Mae View Post
Yes, that is what I have heard. Was there something I said that made you say that, or was that just a general reminder?

Just asking, because I am wondering if I implied that I'd just save it all up for later.. that was never my intention.. I realize that I can only have a certain amount... though I am not sure how I will keep spending money on things.. I've spent my whole life living under the poverty level, and so I don't see how I will find a way to spend all that money every month. We'll see.
In a previous post you said you'd have a little bit of money to put in savings or spend. If you were not aware of the resource limit and saved over the limit, at some point, SSI would ask for the money back.

The main purpose of SSI is that a disabled person has money for food and shelter. Pay for those things each month. Think about purchases that will improve the quality of your life for the long term or that will make your life easier today with any leftover funds. A quality mattress, better quality household appliances, medical care that may not be covered by Medicaid (like dental and optical), pretty sheets and a nice pillow, pretty dishes, a comfortable chair that you chose, a TV in your bedroom.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:22 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have about $50 in my savings right now, and that is what I was talking about adding to--not thousands of dollars. I've had two jobs my whole life, both for about 3 months before I had to quit because of health problems. I haven't had a steady income my whole life--when I say I would have money to save or spend, I wasn't at all talking about over $2000 worth.

I do have a good mattress, a TV, and everything I need to make my live as good as it can be considering all the pain. I do plan to pay off my medical bills that will not be covered with Medicaid... but beyond that, there isn't much I need. I need the help so that I can pay rent (whether I am living at home with my mom or eventually am able to live on my own again) and bills... cell phone and utility.