Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 10:18 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default In my typical basic style....just wondering...

Have just been explaining to someone how,after 10/12 years with PD I am still able to totter about in spikes,cut huge hedges etc etc [on a good day] and it made me think...
I know these things aren`t spectacular..I am not posting for that.And I know maybe 10/12 years is not a long time with PD so maybe there should not be much degeneration...although with some folk here,there seems to be a quicker slide in health.
But....having been asked what I do to maintain my energy...etc..and having been sadly disappointing with my reply in terms of concrete evidence such as alternative therapies[my lifestyle is really quite wild and chaotic] I have come to the conclusion that this factor may [or may not] help.

When I was at rock bottom physically[unable to walk more than a few yards,and with a shuffle only...my sister in law [a physiotherapist] taught me about finding new pathways through ...you know..the message centre of our bodies.And in so doing,instilled in me the need to understand what was happening to our limbs in order to complete a task or process.
For example...we take walking for granted and most folk don`t think about it.Well I had too REALLY THINK about it.She drew what was happening with,not only my feet ,when I walked..but also the effect on my knees,hips,pelvis,back...so that the alignment of the entire body was considered.
I had to practice walking up and down my lounge for minutes at a time,but also had to say out loud what I wanted my limbs to do.
I had to PREPARE my whole body for the simple act of walking a few steps.;
align the pelvis...free the hips and follow through to the knee...place my feet in position,and "feel" the movement as I proceded.I also had to speak these instructions out loud to focus on the correct strike of my heel first...to hit the ground...then roll onto the ball of my foot,swing with the opposite arm...and feel the looseness in my hip.
I was frustrated,at first...managing only one step and then having to start over because my arm was still glued to my side.But in time,and with much effort,I can now walk freely without the accompanying instruction.
I apply this method to whatever I can.
Simple..maybe too simple.But it works for me.
Sort of like a re-training of thought process.

Yes...you feel a bit of an *** when you are jabbering to yourself,and the neighbours are looking in...but hey...they think again when I sashay down the road in my high heels and skin tight jeans.

Get practising your vocals.You can do it.

x
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh boy...you`ve sent me some stars. Have I boobed?
Sorry.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM #3
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

it's no problem steffi. the software has some built in filters for naughty words. just keep posting like you do. we can fil in the stars. good imaginations around here.

really good post. my dad shuffles and freezes. i'm going to pass on the info to him.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:01 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you Steffi

Your advice makes a lot of sense.
I have trouble standing up from sitting, and it helps when I say, "UP, UP". I have also taught my grandchildren to say, "You can do it, Mormor", and that helps every time, for some strange reason.
It is as if the brain has to hear the commands spoken out loud to process them, even though the commands are generated by the brain.
I have not thought to talk myself into walking, but I am going to try it right away. At this point there is no collaboration between hips, knees, feet or arms, and I don't just shuffle, I drag myself along.
I'd love to really WALK again. It may take a while before it works, but I'm ever optimistic. Hurrah for your sister-in-law - and for you.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default getting up; getting going

Birte and steffi:

I also have trouble getting up but I attribute that to arthritis in my knees. Once I'm up the pain gradually goes away and I can walk normally. When walking I usually map out my route, taking note of every little bump and cranny that might cause me to trip. Haven't tripped yet. Haven't tried talking to myself but don't feel the need to yet. Also haven't tried high heels and tight jeans; imagine me in that get up together with a fart machine.

All the best,

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Am crying with laughter here Lloyd. No. Please don`t go there...eek.
In all seriousness....who me? SERIOUS? NAH!!!
Ahem..as I was saying..I have to add that another thought is this.Don`t all run for cover.
Parkinsons somehow has the knack of clamping your arms across your body.When you think about it...they provide the balance and "swing" to enable correct walking.And I at my worst,lived with my right arm stuck across the fron t of my body,my right shoulder lower than my left,my upper back rounding in what I can only describe as a hump...Quasi Modo springs to mind.As I shuffled and dragged my right leg,immense strain was placed on my hips,lower back and pelvis.This was not only painful,but weakened my hips.
By manipulating my joints,[and both my shiatsu practitioner and my sis worked on this] and using mammoth circling motions,they gradually released the tension in my arms and I was able to swing them again.Just this little thing ,this "opening" up of my shoulders,made a huge difference to my stance and walk.I have my sexy wiggle back.
Want a sexy walk LLoyd...you know...to go with the outfit? BIG SMILE.
BIG HUG
X
Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I stopped myself shuffling when I walk by singing "Heel & Toe" repeatatively to myself as I walked. Got the tip from a physio. Its simple but worked wonders for me. Who cares if peole look at you strangley because you are talking (or singing) to yourself. Mind you Steff I have yet to try it in high heels.................

Chris
Suffolkchris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:05 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Aw go on Chris...the heels? After all its not like we PD folk bring attention to ourselves at any other time is it....pauses for thought.
Mind you...i`m dying to hammer those tap things to my shoes so that when my meds are off I can cause a heck of a din.River dance...eat your heart out...
Sorry...not funny.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:16 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown

This talking aloud so the brain can hear it and translate makes sense.Think how intially children have to read aloud to hear and understand the text and how as adults we often read instructions aloud in order to understand them.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Steffi I know what you mean....walking is not just walking anymore, it's a study. If I don't pay attention, I walk like I've been drinking, or like a puppet on strings. Most things these days take a concentrated effort.
Your comment about practicing your vocals, is so true, too. My voice goes pretty soft, so to strengthen it I sing in the car, at home, in my office (when no body is around)....I probably would set all the dogs howling if I sang outside, but it sure feels good to belt it out!
I am just getting back into high heels, but prefer leather boots! oolala!
EmptyNest68 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote