advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Question concerning meds and SSDI.

When I was approved for benifits I was taking several different medications for my condition. Since than I have stopped taking two of those meds because the side effects were too much to live with. I still take all the remaining meds and I still see a doctor every month. I am also on medicare. Am I risking losing my benefits by not taking those two meds?
Shellback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
When I was approved for benifits I was taking several different medications for my condition. Since than I have stopped taking two of those meds because the side effects were too much to live with. I still take all the remaining meds and I still see a doctor every month. I am also on medicare. Am I risking losing my benefits by not taking those two meds?
From my understanding, no. You are not required to see exactly the same doctors or take the exact same medications to remain on either SSDI or SSI. As long as you are under a doctor's care (at least one) and are taking medication for your conditions (even if they have changed), you are fine.

The medications that you are taking right now--are they also for whatever has gotten you approved for SSDI?

For example, I am on medication for neuropathy and just was accepted for SSI. As long as I take medication for neuropathy, I think I will be fine. However, if I go off of all medicines for neuropathy and only take medicines for migraines, that doesn't count and I may not qualify when I am evaluated. Does that make sense?

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Mae View Post
From my understanding, no. You are not required to see exactly the same doctors or take the exact same medications to remain on either SSDI or SSI. As long as you are under a doctor's care (at least one) and are taking medication for your conditions (even if they have changed), you are fine.

The medications that you are taking right now--are they also for whatever has gotten you approved for SSDI?

For example, I am on medication for neuropathy and just was accepted for SSI. As long as I take medication for neuropathy, I think I will be fine. However, if I go off of all medicines for neuropathy and only take medicines for migraines, that doesn't count and I may not qualify when I am evaluated. Does that make sense?
I don't really know exactly what condition I was approved for. I suffer from severe depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, bipolar, high blood pressure and I am a borderline diabetic. I have tried over and over again to try and find out the exact reason for which I was awarded benefits but I still cannot get a straight answer.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I don't really know exactly what condition I was approved for. I suffer from severe depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, bipolar, high blood pressure and I am a borderline diabetic. I have tried over and over again to try and find out the exact reason for which I was awarded benefits but I still cannot get a straight answer.
What do you mean? You are saying that you have called your local disability office (SSA, or whatever) and have asked, and they do not tell you why you were awarded SSDI? Try asking again. It could be a combination of things.

I am on SSI now, but I believe SSDI is given when you have worked enough to build up credits, but can no longer work. So what is it that has stopped you from working? Which of your conditions affects you the most? I have migraines, but could work with them. I have over 10 medical problems, but only 2 or 3 of them keep me from working and make me "disabled".

If you don't know what condition(s) you were awarded this for, you need to find out. If you go off all medications for depression, for example, and that is why you cannot work, it will show them that you indeed can work if you are not working with a doctor to keep it under control.

It should say in all of the paperwork which conditions you have that they consider disabling.

I have limited knowledge about all of this since I am new to it, but have even less about SSDI, since that is not what I am receiving. I will be interested to see what someone else says that comes along... I am just telling you what I have read from others on this site, but I am not an expert.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
What do you mean? You are saying that you have called your local disability office (SSA, or whatever) and have asked, and they do not tell you why you were awarded SSDI? Try asking again. It could be a combination of things.

I am on SSI now, but I believe SSDI is given when you have worked enough to build up credits, but can no longer work. So what is it that has stopped you from working? Which of your conditions affects you the most? I have migraines, but could work with them. I have over 10 medical problems, but only 2 or 3 of them keep me from working and make me "disabled".

If you don't know what condition(s) you were awarded this for, you need to find out. If you go off all medications for depression, for example, and that is why you cannot work, it will show them that you indeed can work if you are not working with a doctor to keep it under control.

It should say in all of the paperwork which conditions you have that they consider disabling.

I have limited knowledge about all of this since I am new to it, but have even less about SSDI, since that is not what I am receiving. I will be interested to see what someone else says that comes along... I am just telling you what I have read from others on this site, but I am not an expert.
Severe depression, anxiety and panic disorder made it impossible for me to hold down a job. I have had several work attempts since my last steady job and I ended up having to leave each of those jobs because of the above mentioned conditions. I had enough work credits to quailfy for SSDI but was turned down for SSI due to my wife's income.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Severe depression, anxiety and panic disorder made it impossible for me to hold down a job. I have had several work attempts since my last steady job and I ended up having to leave each of those jobs because of the above mentioned conditions. I had enough work credits to quailfy for SSDI but was turned down for SSI due to my wife's income.
According to the SSA website:

"Benefits usually continue until you are able to work again on a regular basis."

So whatever it is that is keeping you from working--depression, anxiety, and panic--needs to be treated. So if they evaluate your case in a few years and you are off all medications for those conditions and not seeing a doctor regularly, they will think that you are "better" or have it under control, and will stop your SSDI benefits. So, while you can switch medications and go off some, you should remain on some medications for those specific conditions OR be getting some sort of therapy/doctor's care.

There is a recent post by someone who has a mental disorder (bipolar, I believe) and they haven't seen a doctor lately and are not taking medicine for their condition, and it was decided that they no longer needed benefits. So, if you need them and you are unable to work, you must continue treatment, whether that is therapy, medications, or something else.

If you stop treatment or start working full time, they will take your benefits away. The recent poster I was talking about was not getting doctor's care or taking medicine, and was only working part time, and still had them taken away. The minute you prove to them that you are capable of working or functioning "normally", they will remove your benefits.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Shellback (09-22-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
The minute you prove to them that you are capable of working or functioning "normally", they will remove your benefits.
The alternative would be to continue the benefits to someone capable of working and functioning normally?

Actually, SSDI continues through the trial work period (9 months) and benefits can be reinstated during the extended period of eligibility (36 months) and expedited reinstatement can occur within another period (60 months?) so it is not true that the minute you start working that benefits stop.

SSI is reduced by any income so going to work will reduce SSI benefits, but there are more earned income exclusions than unearned income exclusions so SSI can continue checks for a long time and Medicaid can continue indefinitely under section 1619b of SSI even when the income is too high for payment as long as the person doesn't have medical recovery, like a paraplegic and needs and uses Medicaid.

And to prove that you are functioning normally generally takes several month of obtaining allegations of current functioning, gathering existing medical evidence, or obtaining independent medical exams, again much more than a minute of review.

Neither SSI nor SSDI were designed as a lifetime check for a person who had a medical problem at one time that no longer stops them from functioning normally. 20, 30 years ago, a heart attack meant stopping work and staying home waiting to die. Now it means triple bypass, change in lifestyle and the right medication and return to work.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote