advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 09:25 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI for Neuropathy ???? for you all

First let me explain my situation, In Nov of 2008 I had chemo and radiation as well as brachytherapy for Stage 2b Cervical Cancer. I was on Cisplatin which is known to cause neuropathy. Honestly I felt great for the first 5 or 6 months after all my treatments. One day I put on sneakers and my foot honestly felt as though it was on fire, I dismissed it until a week later it started traveling up my leg , then to my other foot and leg!! Called my oncologist and went in she acted as though she didnt know much about neuropathy after treatment, I basicly lived like this for a few months till I started waking up with my legs kicking in the air and dying in pain. Pain that tylenol and motrin wouldnt touch. My oncologist sent me to a neurologist 2 weeks later EMG and found that I have neuropathy from either the chemo or radiation. Im going to assume it was the chemo because I had two severe allergic reactions to it.
Before Cancer, I was a VERY active person, I worked all day , and shuffled around my daughter every night with cheerleading , shopping , sleep overs , the gym. Being a single mom I did all the house chores , food shopping etc.
Well I honestly LOVED my life, I was so busy , worked a GREAT job in personal lines insurance and was quite proud of myself.
Neuropathy kicked in and all I can say is WOW. I can no longer go to the mall, I have gained 50 pounds because I am not to mobile.
I am on 200 percocet a month, 100 mgs of topamax, ( I was allergic to neurotin and cymbalta) wellbutrin 300 mgs and klonipin, and 2 30mg adderol. I dont think any of them really help they just make me so " retarded" that I think I am okay. I sleep much of the day because I am so medicated, I am VERY confused and I do not have good memory skills. My Dr calls this " chemo fog" I feel more like I have early on set althimers. I forget EVERYTHING even simple things like where I put my keys even if it has only been 5 minutes since I put them down. I forget what I am saying mid sentence.
Good news is , I am cancer free Bad news is I had to apply for SSDI.
I applied on April 5th of this year, just last week they sent me to see a psychiatrist who gave me some sort of memory test. IE , draw this picture, he told me 2 words and about 15 minutes later after more conversation asked me to remember them ( I could not) , we discussed my daily life, I had told him my daughter moved back in she is 26 to help me in the house.
I see and continue to see my oncologist, gynocologist oncologist, primary, neurologist and a LPN who is a therapist. All these drs have sent over medical forms requested.
Anyways, I am way over the 120 day mark that SSDI said they would have a determination for , just a couple weeks ago they set up the appt for thier dr to see me? I called TODAY and they STILL DID NOT HAVE AN ANSWER?
DOES THIS MEAN I AM LIKELY DENIED?? Im A WRECK!!
PLEASE FORGIVE MY SPELLING I KNOW THERE ARE ERRORS HOWEVER MY BRAIN NO LONGER FUNCTIONS PROPERLY!
THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE OR INPUT.
Jeanm1963 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

No, it doesn't automatically mean that you were denied.

You have to understand that this is the government, and they are slow. They get SO many applications and some are from people who are not disabled but just want a free handout, so they have to weed through a LOT of these each day.

Sometimes people apply for disability (both SSI and SSDI) and it takes YEARS to get. Just in the posts today, I've read that it has taken anywhere from as little as 10 weeks to as much as 5 1/2 years.

Don't assume there will be a denial... just wait to hear for sure. Working yourself up about it and stressing is NOT going to do you any good.

If you truly are disabled and are unable to work, you will most likely get it--it just takes times. Sometimes people get denied once, twice, or even up to 6 times. Just keep trying and pushing on... don't give up.

I am not on SSDI, but I applied for SSI and was accepted yesterday... the process only took 3 months total. I also have neuropathy, and it was a combination of the neuropathy plus POTS (which is the reason I am bedridden) that got me awarded for SSI.

That is unusual--usually it takes a lot longer. Be prepared to sit and wait... and wait... and wait... and then wait some more.

It hasn't even been 6 months since you have applied... so try to calm down and just continue to follow their instructions on what to do. It will all help you to get approved.

Good luck.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jeanm1963 (09-22-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Sara, I also suffer from depression and severe anxiety. I think that is why they sent me to the IME. I had quite a bit of money in savings which is now gone. Last month I had to pack up my townhouse and move in with my mother. My drs did put on my application no sitting or standing for more then 2 hours. If I do not elevate my feet they swell and turn blue.
I have read and re-read the SSI qualifications in which they determine that you can do other work if your not able to do your current job, I cant think of any job where you cant sit nor stand for 2 hours. And certainly 2 hours of work even 7 days a week can not support my family. URGH..
Jeanm1963 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jeanm1963
I applied 1/09 but was disbled since 8/08. I am a diabetic with severe neuropathy, ckd, and frozen shoulder. I take Gabapentin (generic Neurontin) and Loratab for the neuropathy so I completely understand.
I was initially denied twice when I applied myself, then I hired Allsup for the appeal and was awarded (5/10) without having to see a judge.
I was a manager for a cellular store and that position required me to be on my feet all day and able to lift 50lbs or more either of which I can do. Depending on your documentation and how thorough and detailed the doctors make it to be you can be approved on the first time around. I had a denial the first time around within the 120 days
COLBEYMOORE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

We have a gentleman on PN who helps people get disability approval rather quickly. He offers his advice/experience for free, and specializes in PN.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread7278.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
babytoes (06-13-2012)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

For a standing job-you are suppose to be able to stand for 6 out of 8 hrs.
Babyboomer15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

social security is chronically understaffed and they are behind on applications for ssdi. You can get ssdi for peripheral neuropathy. If you get denied at the initial stage depending on what state you are in you may have a reconsideration stage before the alj level. Not all states do. If you do get denied on the initial application follow Mrs. D's recommendation and contact the person she put up the link for.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:03 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=mrsD;697981]We have a gentleman on PN who helps people get disability approval rather quickly. He offers his advice/experience for free, and specializes in PN.

Mrs. D, I would really appreciate getting in touch with Mike F but dont know how to go about it. His email address is not available any more. Do you have any sugestions? Thanks, Chipper
Chipper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 AM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Chipper, contact DanP for that contact info on the thread mrsD linked,
or see this post -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post690127-26.html

We prefer personal contact info not be posted on the public forum.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hi

Congrats. in beating the cancer. So sorry you are dealing with the fog and neuropathy. I am a chronic painie with a hefty side order of neuropathy due to failed back surgery. The fog is from Fibormyalgia that was dxed back in 1976. Neuropathy can be disabling. If that was all I had, I would still be disabled because mine is severe. You have been given good advice. Any info. I would give you would be outdated as I was approved in 95. I can safely say, don't give up regardless of how long it takes. You will most likely need that safety net as time goes by, if not already. There are knowledgable and caring folks here to support and wisely advise you. Hang in there.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote