Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 04:26 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mark, thankyou

I just wanted to say thankyou Mark, you are so helpful and supportive for everybody who comes to this site!

At the moment I am finding it very difficult to cope with myself let alone help others.

Since my 9 year anniversary of my most effective injury, I have had bronchitis - that I can deal with, but since then I have ached all over and have found it painful to move - Doctor is telling me it is either reactive athritis or lupus - my ANA is high. I have been prescribed Arcoxia which is easing things a little.

It just feels like this is just one thing too many.

I am also sorry "Imnotcrazy" that I haven't been in touch - hopefully by October I will be back to my old slow brain normal self - which I admit I would appreciate!

It is spring time here - which has brought us earthquakes, snow 140 kph winds, and torrential rain - things can only improve can't they!

Lynlee
Lucy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieDayNow (09-25-2010), Fogbrain (09-25-2010)

advertisement
Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I just wanted to say thankyou Mark, you are so helpful and supportive for everybody who comes to this site!

At the moment I am finding it very difficult to cope with myself let alone help others.
I'd like to second this; I don't know how Mark in Idaho manages to reply so promptly yet pertinently to the posts including my first post. He and vini made me feel very welcome
I do hope that I will be able to respond to others, but at the moment, and I feel terribly selfish , I too am still coming to terms with me.

Last edited by mybrainhurts; 09-25-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: pedantic!
mybrainhurts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking

I'll third (?) that motion! I've been here for all of two days, and Mark has definately been a spot of sun in a rainstorm. Thank you for your insights and experience, and I wish you well in anything you do.
AnnieDayNow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks for the compliments.

I had two rough days, Wednesday and Thursday. I worked my brain too hard trying to understand the instructions in a automatic transmission repair manual. Slept most of Wednesday and half of Thursday.

I follow this forum as an exercise for my brain. With the many years I have lived with PCS, I wish I had understood 30 years ago what I understand today. At least I had some sense to not push too hard with my life and various businesses. The ups and downs can be miserable. By slowing down, I can keep them to a minimum.

Now, I am trying to survive on Social Security Disability Income. It's tough. My wife finally had to find a job. She had not worked since before we got married 30 years ago last July. When I look back and begin to understand the strain my PCS put on my wife and 3 kids, I hope to help others avoid the struggles I had.

BTW, Between my academic records, the observations of my mother and my wife, we can directly chart the continued deterioration after each minor head bump since my serious concussion when I was 10 (1965). Hopefully, I have been able to explain the importance of avoiding the risks of those Post Concussion minor bumps.

I encourage all of you to find and join/participate in a TBI/mTBI support group. We can learn so much from each other. Plus, we seriously need each others support. Our family and caregivers also need the support of a mTBI/TBI support group. My wife looks forward to attending our local support group.

Hopefully, today I can get some brain cells lined up to continue my automatic transmission repair efforts. I think I can do it if I take it slower.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:45 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Mark, thank you

I also want to say thank you!

Mark, you have provided so many helpful answers, thoughts and suggestions for so many people. Its horrible that you have gone through so many head injuries to become this "bearer of information" but your advice has been a comfort to many.

This forum has really helped me personally to realize that I am not alone in this recovery and that I am not losing my mind. Thanks to Mark's advice, I am working on accepting my new brain and how I need to operate in the world and how I need to accept my limits.

Thank you to all of the other people who have posted about their struggles, and for sharing what they have done or tried to help gather their lives back together. It is truly inspiring.
Tengboche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:39 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,

Your guidance, knowledge, and sincere empathetic heart has given me the insight to walk slowly on this new path, not judging myself but acknowledging the steps forward however small they are.

Learning to read the signs that lead to fatigue and headaches has been most beneficial - a suggestion given by you.

And to accept this condition with patience.

Because I can not see my injury, I often think when I wake up in the morning maybe it has gone away and lo and behold those lovely symptoms say hello and remind of their presence and once again I am reminded of my new state of mind.

Mark, because of your candor and honesty with your life, I have begun to look at my life differently. Yes it has changed and maybe will never be the same but through the time you give to all of us this site, I see a life, your life, "Making a difference" in all of our lives leading and guiding us to know there is light in this tunnel.

For this I give thanks....

Peace
Grady Lady
Grady Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank You

I have been on this site less than a day and already you have offered support and suggestions. As I check out other threads I see how you have done so for so many other people. Thank you for your support and your wisdom on the subject, although I am sorry that your wisdom on PCS and TBI comes from personal experience.
Aims is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote