Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default PCS : Is a pain on the brain possible?

I had a concussion snowboarding a few months ago. Most of the PCS symtoms cleared up as in a normal "uncomplicated" concussion.
However for a few weeks after i became aware of a pain on the base of my brain(i assumed it was due to swelling in that part of the brain). Now i dont think the brain has nerve endings on itself directly so im not sure how i can be feeling this. When riding in a car and going over a rough surface /speed bumps id feel the pain at the base of the brain. I was able to prevent this pain by tilting my head at a angle when going to over bumps. I guess this prevented my brain from bouncing directly up and down which kept the pressure of its base and therefore i didnt feel the pain. I have amnesia both prior to and after my fall so i cant tell how bad it was. Does this seem to make any sense?
hmmm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't know what this sensation is but it seems fairly common. We called it "brain bumps" for my daughter. The neurologist didn't know, vision therapist didn't know, general practitioner didn't know, etc.

The neuro explained to us that the brain doesn't feel pain. There is a protective covering surrounding the brain that is full of nerve endings. She felt that these sensations were perhaps "sore spots" in this protective covering. Sort of like a cramp to a previously injured muscle???

All I can tell you is that a few of her brain bumps caused migraines that would last a couple days. We worked on ways to stabilize her head when she anticipated a bump coming, such as you're doing. Even now (14 months) we find ourselves yelling out "bump" if we're driving or walking on uneven ground to help her prepare. Crazy...we'll probably be doing that ten years from now

The good news is that she hasn't had that sensation for quite a few months now. I would guess that stopped around 10 months from her injury.

Keep up your avoidance techniques and give yourself some time. All the best to you-
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

These bumps are due to a neck/head sensitivity that results from a whiplash type of injury to the head/neck. I have suffered from this for more than decades.

I find the best way to prevent this is to use the energy absorbing capabilities that the back has. This is best when the head and shoulders are bent forward slightly. If you are in a car, you need to have your upper back not against the seat back. Contact with the seat back with your upper back will transmit these vertical forces.

I learned this technique due to my love of roller coasters. Wooden coasters tend to have lots of vibrations. By sitting with my back away from the seat back, I can continue to enjoy the rougher rides.

I do this when riding in the car and encountering a speed bump. If I notice it in time, I need to do this when driving over depressed manhole covers.

YES, speed bumps are a pain in the neck and otherwise.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote