Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 04:55 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Laugh L5 S1 Bi Lateral (right & Left) discectomy success!

Hi,

Just wanted to give some hope to those of you living with constant discomfort of back and leg pain.

I suffered a double disc prolapse of L5 S1 that started in Jan 2009 after a 1/2 Iron Man event, what I thought was a pulled hamstring developed over 3 months into full on leg weakness and numbness on the left and severe sciatica on the right. (no back pain)

I tried every conservative treatment I could find, accupuncture, PT, Osteo, massage etc etc and it did get better to the stage were I could walk over 10km and swim up to 3km but never again rode my bike/s. Then in April 2010 I had a major replapse after a short run which put me on my back and unable to stand for 9 days, tried a cortisone injection which got me walking again, but with a considerable limp.

At 39 I was pretty down about all this, especially since a major past time of mine is sport and fitness!

I lost count of the amount of people telling me surgery horror stories and to never go under the knife!

So I was between a rock and a hard place, no quality of life, but no solution and in consatant pain.

Last week I bit the bullet and had the operation, a discectomy.

Pain gone when I woke and general numbness and tingling in legs decreasing daily.

If the recovery ends here I am way better off and happier than I was a week ago and 90% quality of life is back!

Early days, but so far I am estatic about the result!

I'd do it again!

Just thought I'd post this as everywere I turned it was doom and gloom, especially on the web!

Just one cavet, if anyone feels the need to add a negative comment to my post, please dont! : )

Keep positive people!

Cheers
kiwee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm really happy for you! That kind of pain is miserable - just ask me.

Here's to continuing healing & comfort! god bless. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default One year down the track L5S1 bi-lateral disectomy

Things have been "OK"...slowley got back into mild training, I do a spin class 3 times a week at GYM and a 50 - 60km cycle once a week. No running, but walking..

Sit all day at work.

Main issue I have now is tightness in my glutes and left side pain from top of glute to HIP.

Recent MRI show's great result for operation, obviously the disc is not longer like new, but all nerves are free.

DOc now suspects my left hip may be the issue?

Physio and Massage guys reckon my whole lower back muscles are a series of knots, and I my pelvis is out of alignement due to the tightness?

Any ideas?
kiwee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:23 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A 7year after surgery too

I had L5 S1 lumbar laminectomy a year ago. I also have tightness in my glutes and some times in the right lower back. I have a very knowledgeable Phys Therapist. He recommends all kinds of exercises to me. I had knots in my hips and now they are gone thanks to a foam tube. I still go to see him once a week.
NewToBlog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM #5
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

I am soooo happy 2 hear your story and hope u all the wonders of life
take it easy
do not over do things
listen 2 your body
and love it
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Congrats! I have had 2 microdiskectomies and am pain free now also!

I also had tightness in my glutes and my hamstrings and hips, those tight hammies pull your back out of alignment and your hip flexors too. Did you do PT after the surgery? My PT gave me a lot of stretches to help get rid of that. It was because of the nerve compression and my altered posture (for so long with the bad disks) that caused my hammies to tighten up so badly.

Call up your PT and ask for exercises and stretches to do to eliminate that and your hip should feel better. They are usually still pretty receptive even post therapy, at least, mine were
njmama09 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote