Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cogane

Hi all,

Dx in July this year, I have been reading with interest the posts on this forum- hello to all and my thanks to you for making the picture a bit clearer.

Whilst surfing the net in search of pre-medication possibilities to try, I followed up on Cogane, and came across the following

"The neurodegeneration programmes are based around a single Asian plant extract used as a traditional tonic for the elderly. Initial interest arose from a small but successful double-blind placebo-controlled study in patients with mild to moderate senile dementia treated with a single chemical purified from the plant extracts which demonstrated a significant and highly relevant improvement in cognitive function"

I couldn't post the link

I wondered if anyone had actually identified the tonic referred to ? Any ideas would be welcomed : )
krugen68 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (10-11-2010)

advertisement
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I wish!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugen68 View Post
Hi all,

Dx in July this year, I have been reading with interest the posts on this forum- hello to all and my thanks to you for making the picture a bit clearer.

Whilst surfing the net in search of pre-medication possibilities to try, I followed up on Cogane, and came across the following

"The neurodegeneration programmes are based around a single Asian plant extract used as a traditional tonic for the elderly. Initial interest arose from a small but successful double-blind placebo-controlled study in patients with mild to moderate senile dementia treated with a single chemical purified from the plant extracts which demonstrated a significant and highly relevant improvement in cognitive function"

I couldn't post the link

I wondered if anyone had actually identified the tonic referred to ? Any ideas would be welcomed : )
Only the drug company knows... having said that -Cogane will be in clinical trials in the US soon (maybe also in UK?) - only for de novo patients - newly dx'd not on pd meds yet. If I were in that group I'd join that trial for sure!!

Jean

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.

Last edited by jeanb; 10-11-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: forgot something
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:19 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default oh for a mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Only the drug company knows... having said that -Cogane will be in clinical trials in the US soon (maybe also in UK?) - only for de novo patients - newly dx'd not on pd meds yet. If I were in that group I'd join that trial for sure!!

Jean
That sounds like a good reason to keep on avoiding the medical establishment's treatment by numbers for as long as I can ! ( grins )
I've sent off for the UK trial details, supposedly starting late 2010
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (10-11-2010), just_me_77 (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

From an earlier post-

Rumor has it that Cogane started out as a rare member of the same family as Dong Quai, a common supplement used for menopausal troubles. But there are other, more common and better researched, possibilities. For example:

1: Neurosignals. 2005;14(1-2):34-45.Click here to read Links
Search for natural products related to regeneration of the neuronal network.
Tohda C, Kuboyama T, Komatsu K.

Research Center for Ethnomedicines, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani, Japan.

The reconstruction of neuronal networks in the damaged brain is necessary for the therapeutic treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. We have screened the neurite outgrowth activity of herbal drugs, and identified several active constituents. In each compound, neurite outgrowth activity was investigated under amyloid-beta-induced neuritic atrophy. Most of the compounds with neurite regenerative activity also demonstrated memory improvement activity in Alzheimer's disease-model mice. Protopanaxadiol-type saponins in Ginseng drugs and their metabolite, M1 (20-O-beta-D-glucopyranosyl-(20S)-protopanaxadiol), showed potent regeneration activity for axons and synapses, and amelioration of memory impairment. Withanolide derivatives (withanolide A, withanoside IV, and withanoside VI) isolated from the Indian herbal drug Ashwagandha, also showed neurite extension in normal and damaged cortical neurons. Trigonelline, a constituent of coffee beans, demonstrated the regeneration of dendrites and axons, in addition to memory improvement. 2005 S. Karger AG, Basel

PMID: 15956813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugen68 View Post
Hi all,

I couldn't post the link

Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (10-11-2010)
Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs Up Believe Coffee Beans help with PD

Just an observation: my mother would only boil the water for instant coffee for my dad as far back as I can remember. My dad loves fresh roasted drip coffee waiting for him in the pot when he gets up in the morning. He has been living with me for several years and his theory is for living to be 80 years old this year was partly due to the fact I have that fresh pot of brewed coffee each day. I am trying to drink at least one or two mugs (approx. 16 oz.) daily. There are more ways to help PD than one. We have to use everything possible to fight.

Last edited by just_me_77; 10-11-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: spelling
just_me_77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:11 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default speculation re myogane

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
From an earlier post-

Rumor has it that Cogane started out as a rare member of the same family as Dong Quai, a common supplement used for menopausal troubles. But there are other, more common and better researched, possibilities. For example:

1: Neurosignals. 2005;14(1-2):34-45.Click here to read Links
Search for natural products related to regeneration of the neuronal network.
Tohda C, Kuboyama T, Komatsu K.

Research Center for Ethnomedicines, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Sugitani, Japan.

The reconstruction of neuronal networks in the damaged brain is necessary for the therapeutic treatment of neurodegenerative diseases. We have screened the neurite outgrowth activity of herbal drugs, and identified several active constituents. In each compound, neurite outgrowth activity was investigated under amyloid-beta-induced neuritic atrophy. Most of the compounds with neurite regenerative activity also demonstrated memory improvement activity in Alzheimer's disease-model mice. Protopanaxadiol-type saponins in Ginseng drugs and their metabolite, M1 (20-O-beta-D-glucopyranosyl-(20S)-protopanaxadiol), showed potent regeneration activity for axons and synapses, and amelioration of memory impairment. Withanolide derivatives (withanolide A, withanoside IV, and withanoside VI) isolated from the Indian herbal drug Ashwagandha, also showed neurite extension in normal and damaged cortical neurons. Trigonelline, a constituent of coffee beans, demonstrated the regeneration of dendrites and axons, in addition to memory improvement. 2005 S. Karger AG, Basel

PMID: 15956813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

on googling "cogane chinese tonic" I found the ALS forum speculating on yet more Chinese possibles, for the sister drug Myogane which comes from the same plant source