Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-16-2010, 09:42 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy MRI Results Do I need surgery? What are my Options?

I got rear ended a month ago and I am kinda worried about this results, the insurance company advised me that some injuries are not covered like scoliosis, not sure if this problems should be covered and how serious they are, I would appreciate if someone could help me here, and also if this is fixable and what are the treatments options. If surgey is needed how much $ and time we are talking about. Thanks in advance.

MRI Results

C4-5
The disc height and signal are maintained. There is 2-3mm central posterior disc extrusion with 2mm caudad extension of the extruding disc. There is no frank sequestration. Posteriorly, there is a high intensity zone/HIZ. This is consistent with annular tear/fissure which, in and of itself, may be a source of pain. There is 2mm rostrad and 2-3mm caudad extension of the extruding disc. There is no frank sequestration. There is encroachment on the subarachnoid space. There is no compromise on the cord or nerve roots in their neural foramina. The facet joints are unremarkable. There is 2mm anterior disc protrusion with encroachment on the anterior longitudinal ligament.

C5-6
The disc height is maintained. There is partial dehydration of the disc. There is 3mm posterior disc extrusion with associated high intensity zone/HIZ identified posteriorly. There is 2mm rostrad and 2mm caudad extension of the extruding disc. There is no frank sequestration. There is encroachment on the subarachnoid space, but not on the foramina. There is no compromise on the cord or exiting nerve roots. The facet joints are satisfactory. There is 2mm anterior disc protrusion with encroachment on the anterior longitudinal ligament.

C6-7
The disc height and signal are maintained. There is 1-2mm posterior disc protrusion with encroachment on the subarachnoid space. There is no compromise on the cord or on the nerve roots in their neural foramina. The facet joints are unremarkable.

L5-S1
There is decrease in the height of the disc. It is partly dehydrated. There s 4-5mm posterior disc protrusion/extrusion, most marked centrally and in a left paracentral direction. There is associated high intensity zone/HIZ identified in relation to the posterior aspect of the disc. This is consistent with annular tear/fissure which, in and of itself, may be a source of pain. There is encroachment on the epidural fat and left lateral recess where there is compromise on the traversing left S1 nerve root. There is also encroachment on the left foramen with compromise on the traversing left S1 nerve root. There is also encroachment on the left foramen with compromise on the exiting left nerve root. There is no compromise on the traversing or exiting right nerve roots. The facet joints are satisfactory.
jcxperts is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-16-2010, 02:10 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ You do have disc problems ~ some herniations. They are NOT posing any problems for your spinal cord, In the cervical spine, there is no compromise in the nerve roots, but on L5-S1, the exiting left nerve root is compromised. On L5-S1 you also have a herniation and disc dehydration.

I would ask my doctor to send me to a Neurosurgeon ONLY for an opinion - not necessarily for surgery. You should have AT LEAST 3 opinions before making ANY decision about surgery.

Personally, I would NOT opt for surgery, but would stay conservative. Since your spinal cord is NOT being compromised, I would opt for physical therapy and pain management. Surgery does NOT help pain but only corrects mechanical problems. You would probably still have the pain after surgery that you have now, and possibly worse. Also, surgery begets surgery. Somewhere down the line, you would need more surgery. Whenever one has spinal surgery it almost always causes you to have more surgery later. The levels that were operated on cause the levels above or below to take on more of the load, and then THEY fail and you're back in the opoerating room.

So if you can, stay conservative - but you should see a neurosurgeon to be safe. God bless and best of luck. Take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote