Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MRI translation/Do I need surgery

Basically I need to help translate a few lines from my MRI report.

Have searched around but havent found what I was looking for, so any help will be great.

At c5/c6 disc bulge with posterior osteophytic ridging eccentric to the right partially obliterates the anterior csf space. In conjunction with uncovertebral hypertrophy, there is mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing. Disc osteohphyte complex at c5/c6 may contact the right ventral ramus at this level.
justin3680 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Lets see if I can help a little:

At C5-6 you have a disc bulge with a rear bone spur which partially hides the front CSF space. Because of bony overgrowth, there is foraminal narrowing on the right. The foramen is the hole that the nerves pass thru to get to the spinal cord (and vice versa).

The disc bone spurs at C5-6 may contact the right front branch of nerves.

This is just MY OPINION ~ but I seriously doubt you need surgery. You should still be referred to a neurosurgeon for an opinion. I would HOPE that you do NOT need surgery as I would seriously doubt that your pain would be relieved. Surgery does NOT relieve pain. It only corrects mechanical problems. If you happen to get relief from surgery, you got lucky. Also, after surgery ~ some time later you'll find that you''ll need more surgery as the levels above or below the surgical level will fail and you'll have to undergo more surgery. It just seems to never fail. It's a merry-go-round. You're better off staying conservative and going into pain management. Best of luck and God bless! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well I didnt expect such a quick reply, but thank you...My first post I was in a rush and left out a lot.

This has been an ongoing issue for about 5 years ever since I got out of the Army. It first started as muscle spasms which hit the neck shoulder and chest. the spasms would get so bad my neck would lock up and I couldn't move it for days. Currently there is minimal spasms but the back of my neck and upper back always throbs with a never ending headache and the pain radiates into my shoulder and tricep. Numbness in tricep, forearm and fingers but this is intermittent, and new withing the last few months. If I roll my head back or to the right to far its like I'm sitting on the nerve and my arm starts to go numb with added pain. I have noticed strength loss as well. I work out a lot and take logs of my weight reps and this is where Ive noticed it. (But everyday use I don't notice, yet).

I have been to physical therapy for 2 rounds. 3 years ago for 4 months 1x week and currently for a past 6 months 2x a week with traction. I have taken muscle relaxers, NSAID, narcotic pain meds (used on off days from work for a bit...but cant use really as I'm a nuclear security officer), prednisone pack, and had two epidural injections.

The injections did nothing for me, really nothing has and it continues to get worse.

My main concern is that is that the short-long term it will just get worse + all the med trials I have been on I imagine are killing my guts. I am only 30 so I have plenty of time for it to progress more. Also as far a I know I have exhausted all options...Am I missing something. Many thanks yet again
justin3680 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Have you been to a pain management clinic? Or has your doc been the one giving you these injections? If you haven't been to pain management, I would suggest getting a referral to one. There, they can give you more options for pain & relief.

If you HAVE been to pain management, then ask your doc for a referral to a Neurosurgeon ~ you need one who SPECIALIZES in CERVICAL SPINES. You do NOT want a NEUROLOGIST but a NEUROSURGEON. You at least need an opinion.

I do not advocate surgery, as surgery just begets more surgery. Surgery should be a LAST RESORT, when all other options have failed. And surgery should not be performed with the hopes of relieving pain. Most of the time you have the same pain or worse after surgery. Surgery only corrects mechanical problems. It does NOT relieve pain. If you happen to get relief, you got a bonus.

Also, when you have surgery, the levels above and below the surgical site tend to fail because they have to take on an additional load. So a year or more after surgery, you're back in the operating room. This happens all the time. That's why I say surgery begets surgery. Also, with fusions you have the added problem of instrumentation failure - some loosen and/or break and you end up having to have more surgery to repair the instrumentation. There is always the chance of failure to fuse ~ this is common.

I've had 2 open surgeries - this was before the microsurgery that they do now. I'm worse now than I was before surgery. In fact I'm disabled now due to the surgeries, and I've had severe sciatica for 25 years. It's been hell. So I would seriously think about surgery before jumping into it. I'm not a rare case - I'm one of millions of Americans who have had surgery who probably shouldn't have. God bless, and take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote