Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 08:01 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default "Minding my Mitochondria" and e-stem

I am intrigued by Dr. Wahl's personal triumph over her MS. As was posted here, her book "Minding My Mitochondria" guides others along the same path. But this interview, see link below, states that she not only radically changed her diet (9 cups of veggies a day, 3 of which are green leafies, 3 are sulfur-rich, and 3 colorful), she also did electro therapy with her PT and then continued doing that at home with an e stim unit.

We have talked here before at e stim and which ones are best, etc. I thought it was very interesting that she combined a very healthy diet with the e stim. There is also a short discussion about the mitochondria getting premature "time to die" signals, here's the link:

http://www.uiowa.edu/be-remarkable/p...e/wahls-t.html
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (10-27-2010), paula_w (10-27-2010)

advertisement
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
I am intrigued by Dr. Wahl's personal triumph over her MS. As was posted here, her book "Minding My Mitochondria" guides others along the same path. But this interview, see link below, states that she not only radically changed her diet (9 cups of veggies a day, 3 of which are green leafies, 3 are sulfur-rich, and 3 colorful), she also did electro therapy with her PT and then continued doing that at home with an e stim unit.

We have talked here before at e stim and which ones are best, etc. I thought it was very interesting that she combined a very healthy diet with the e stim. There is also a short discussion about the mitochondria getting premature "time to die" signals, here's the link:

http://www.uiowa.edu/be-remarkable/p...e/wahls-t.html
I love this story, but I don't understand - how do they know that this isn't a prolonged remission? (Parkinson's makes me a negative thinker, I believe)
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
I love this story, but I don't understand - how do they know that this isn't a prolonged remission? (Parkinson's makes me a negative thinker, I believe)
I think because not only did her symptoms go into remission, but she actually improved. I don't think remission is the same as improvement, although I can see that argument. If it is remission, that's a heck of a lonnnnng remission!

I think any PWP would take being able to ride a bike 5 miles a day and working a full schedule at a job you like over what they deal with every day right now. I guess it's semantics, just like whether we call the collection of symptoms PD or a movement disorder or parkinsonism, the result is the same. Here, this woman was in a wheelchair facing a grim future and now she is highly mobile and living a life she never thought possible. However we characterize that, whatever we call it, remission, improvement, cure, lifestyle change, therapy, I think most would prefer that over the wheelchair, given an option.

Now, as I posted before, nine cups of fruits and veggies is a LOT! But we are going to try to incorporate more into our diet, it's tough with kids, and see if we notice any difference. The main reason I posted this link is because it was the only article I read where she mentions that she also does the e-stim. Since we have talked about that before here, as well as the vibration therapy that seems to help PD, I thought it worth a mention. If it helps one person, it's worth it!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (10-28-2010), imark3000 (10-28-2010), just_me_77 (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Eating veggies is good for you regardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post

I think any PWP would take being able to ride a bike 5 miles a day and working a full schedule at a job you like over what they deal with every day right now.
Now, as I posted before, nine cups of fruits and veggies is a LOT! But we are going to try to incorporate more into our diet, it's tough with kids, and see if we notice any difference. The main reason I posted this link is because it was the only article I read where she mentions that she also does the e-stim. Since we have talked about that before here, as well as the vibration therapy that seems to help PD, I thought it worth a mention. If it helps one person, it's worth it!
I am hoping to combine Dr. Wahl's approach with the ketogenic "lite" diet of Enig and see what happens. Heck it can't hurt! At the very least, I'll lose some weight and get a lot more nutrients than I do now.

I just can't help but be skeptical when I hear of that dramatic a change, but I suppose anything is possible! Plus, she is not attempting to dupe desperate people for profit like certain stem cell treatment centers or quack doctors offering cures through Glutathione therapy have been known to do.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (10-28-2010), just_me_77 (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, skeptical as I am, look for me at the vegetable counter tomorrow! Maybe a better diet will lighten my negativity!
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:01 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Fruits & veggies rule!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
Yes, skeptical as I am, look for me at the vegetable counter tomorrow! Maybe a better diet will lighten my negativity!
Sasha, I will tell you that all of us (with or without PD) will GREATLY improve our health and well-being as humans by eating more Natural, raw unprocessed fruits and veggies. I have found a product: "SUNBUTTER Natural Sunflower Seed Spread". They have a website too: www.sunbutter.com

My humble thought: could sunflower seeds have the missing micronutrients that a body with PD could be low on or missing from our diet entirely? We are made from the "Dust of The Earth"; so therefore I contend there is some "Whole Food" that can help if not heal and cure what ails us. God in His Infinite Wisdom said He would "supply our every need"; that is the basis of my reasoning. I will keep searching for "The CURE" because I have "The FAITH" that it is out there waiting on someone to find "IT"!!!!!!!
just_me_77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (10-28-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[I just can't help but be skeptical when I hear of that dramatic a change, but I suppose anything is possible! Plus, she is not attempting to dupe desperate people for profit like certain stem cell treatment centers or quack doctors offering cures through Glutathione therapy have been known to do.]

Yes, but....dramatic change it is. I know from personal experience the incredible changes a healthy diet can bring about...my own sister in law had very bad diabetes, and she was young. Overweight, OK she was obese, no exercise, ate like crud....then she started biking to lose the weight, and ended up loving it and even doing a bike ride for MS that is a popular race in my state. She dropped over a hundred pounds and her diabetes was GONE! I mean, gone, not even close to having a problem with her blood sugar levels. Her doctor was stunned as well.

There are lots of reports out there of amazing recoveries by the human body, most of which confound the medical experts just as much as you or me. How can we explain this other than to say that the body has an incredible ability to heal itself, given what it needs? Now all we have to do is find out what our bodies need from us in order to heal from PD. What a kicker that is turning out to be, huh?
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (10-28-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Has anyone heard of the alkaline diet. It's kind of radical but it's supposed to be very good for the body.

http://www.energiseforlife.com/list_...line_foods.php
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (10-28-2010), just_me_77 (10-28-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:42 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Alkaline is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedahlia View Post
Has anyone heard of the alkaline diet. It's kind of radical but it's supposed to be very good for the body.
Did you know that every cancer needs an "acidic" environment to thrive? There is a 'tonic' being used of pure maple syrup and pure baking soda "the alkaline" that some claim cures them. It is believed to be healthier to have your blood P.H. above 7.0 (which is neutral for those not familar with chemistry-below 7 down to 1 is acidic; above 7 to 14 is alkaline). A pinch of baking soda in a bottle of water will help reduce heartburn quickly. There could be many other benefits of this stuff from "Arm & Hammer".
just_me_77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (10-28-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me_77 View Post
Did you know that every cancer needs an "acidic" environment to thrive? There is a 'tonic' being used of pure maple syrup and pure baking soda "the alkaline" that some claim cures them. It is believed to be healthier to have your blood P.H. above 7.0 (which is neutral for those not familar with chemistry-below 7 down to 1 is acidic; above 7 to 14 is alkaline). A pinch of baking soda in a bottle of water will help reduce heartburn quickly. There could be many other benefits of this stuff from "Arm & Hammer".
Interesting. A lot of women on my breast cancer forum swear by it. I don't think I could follow it religiously. so pure maple syrup and baking soda? I think I can do that....
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote