Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default I miss Sheba:

Well, Sheba, our 24 yr old cat, went into acute renal failure and had to be put to sleep on 10-15.

This was devastating to us, but not a surprise as we knew in June she was beginning to fail.

So I've been on the net looking at cat sites, just for the information etc. and found this:

Now I don't know if this is really true or accurate, but that chart only goes up to 22=104 human years!

This puts Tippy at 80
and Oreo at about 52

I have some interesting pictures of Sheba over the recent years in my albums here. She was a very devoted and loving cat, and always well behaved even til the "end".

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-27-2010), Doody (11-08-2010), Jomar (10-27-2010), Kitty (10-27-2010), Twinkletoes (10-28-2010)

advertisement
Old 10-27-2010, 10:37 AM #2
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry Mrs.D.
It's so hard to lose them..I know she had a wonderful long life.

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Heart

24 years is a long time to have a companion, and then not have them there anymore

an extra
for you

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

You gave her such a long and happy life. I know it must be terribly painful to try and adjust to being without her there now.

I looked at the pictures you posted on your profile. She was such a beautiful cat. She was obviously happy and knew she was loved.

I hope the happy memories quickly replace the pain.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-27-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 AM #5
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Heart

just wanted to leave you another
mrsD

Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Unhappy

Thank you all.

I have good times and bad times. Some is the stress of having to put Sheba down. I was hoping she'd die in her sleep. But that was not the case. It is always difficult --the euthanasia.

Then the companionship issue. Sheba used to keep me company, since her cat life was limited the last 5 yrs or so...she couldn't run around like the other two.

She did enjoy the last summer upNorth, but it must have stressed her, and I just didn't see the warning signs? But she did enjoy taking sun baths on the shore and dock, like always.

On the other side of the coin, I feel a bit liberated because she consumed alot of my caring and time and energy. And I don't have to worry about her any more, and watch for illness signs etc.

The other two cats, are taking up some sleeping spots, Sheba kept for herself. But no one is daring to broach my bed. They may "never" at this rate.

Sheba was very bonded to me because of how we met. She was at the vet...dropped off for adoption. Her littermate was with her until the day before I showed up. I was looking for a kitten, and there was a new litter there and they asked me to come and choose one. Well, they were so tiny--no personalities yet-- how to choose? Sheba was above them in another cage piteously crying. She was small and had a rather ratty tail, and had rubbed the fur off the side of her face off begging to be let out. So I asked about HER instead, and the tech said she would probably NOT be adopted now, and because she was black besides would be euthanased. I asked to hold her, and she seemed people friendly, so I adopted her on the spot. Because our old cat who died was black too, the vet knew us and trusted us (they screen people carefully when black cats are involved).

It is rather ironic that her tumor was on that side of her face too. And then she was put to sleep where I adopted her. From the moment I held her, she was linked/bonded to me then! Hubby used to call her my "familiar". So her whole story is rather poignant to me. She was protective of me too, and if I raised my voice, she'd be there ready to fight! But basically she was terrified of dogs, and any stranger who came into the house. As she got much older, she realized she couldn't climb trees anymore, etc, so she became more fearful. I just hated taking her to the vet that last day...but it had to be done!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (10-28-2010), Twinkletoes (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 08:25 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mrs D...know that when any of God's creatures choose US?

We are essentially 'God's' minions. [And I'm not 'religious' per se]
They are super, semi-domesticated creatures that can choose US to be those that they trust, respect and thus maybe love. And they get all that in return!
My beasts were very similar to Sheba in different ways tho? But each holds a special place in my heart, distinct from one another for their trials tribulations and gratitude for having a HOME that accepted them as they ARE.
Sounds like Sheba was as special as my own past beasts, and definitely an age record setter! But to you she has been even MORE!
The other cats will 'wait' a respectable cat mourning time and then? Likely move into those super heater cat spots that you might need. Nothing like a cat to keep your feet warm and 'anchored'?
She is in cat heaven now....where her every wish desired will be fulfilled...don't be surprised to hear echoes tho? I've got them of my beasts still after 5+ years! OH! How I MISS that purr box!
Hugs and more - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-29-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 09:21 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

A
that's such a nice story about how you two met. You were just meant to be.

You know, I wasn't aware that potential owners black cat were screened extra carefully! Whoda thunk?

Funny that your other kitties don't dare hop up on the Queen of Sheba's bed! Maybe she's still there protecting it and they can sense it.

So sorry for the loss of your dear Sheba. Maybe you'll adopt another special kitty sometime in the future that will take hold of your heart in the same way.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (10-29-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

((Mrs D)) I'm just so very sorry to hear about Sheba, bless her heart. Thank you so much for sharing that story. My Tinker is 22 years old, adopted her from a country vet when some little old lady found her on her farm. She keeps hanging on but is noticeably much weaker, more tenable.

Again, my deepest condolences. What a difficult experience it is to lose a pet.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-08-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When I was at the animal shelter to adopt my two cats - the "Cat Lady" (in charge of cat care) tried to convince me to take black ones .... she said that they were very careful about who adopted black and why .... She said I qualified.
But I told her I wanted two who no one else would adopt and she led me to cages in the back. Poor little kittens in a real mess ........ today I have two big, pushy, confident cats.
Badcat's ear mites were so bad he's had nerve damage on the right side of his face. He's still the prettiest cat in the world.
mrsD (11-10-2010)