Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Had a jumping screen problem today!!!

I have NEVER had this happen to me. Alan and I just stood there looking at the computer screen which NEVER stopped jumping.

Did a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXJD61HA_Q

Now if any of you can tell me WHY this was happening, you go to the head of the class.

I finally figured it out, and it was fixed.

But oh my goodness, 30 minutes of jumping screen. Alan went nuts, looked at me and I said "Don't look at me," And our hands were no where near the computer.

So who wants to go to the had of the class.

When you all have tried to figure out what happened, I'll post the answer.

You'll all laugh.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I'll give it a shot. or a couple of shots...

dirty mouse/scroll wheel/ bad connections??

an update is needed for the computer or that program?

I couldn't tell what program/window it was happening with -or if it was all programs or all browsers. {computer wide or a program specific problem}
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
I'll give it a shot. or a couple of shots...

dirty mouse/scroll wheel/ bad connections??

an update is needed for the computer or that program?

I couldn't tell what program/window it was happening with -or if it was all programs or all browsers. {computer wide or a program specific problem}
BINGO, Jo goes to the head of the class.

Earlier in the day I knocked over a cup of water (right on the mouse, it's an optical mouse). So I dried everything off. The liquid never hit the keyboard, only the mouse and mouse pad.

So I dried it all off, went to do something, time passed, (never told Alan about the spill by the way), so he sits down and yells "Something is wrong with the computer".

I sigh and go "okay, hold on".

I walk over and the screen is jumping ALL over the place. No matter how I held the mouse, the screen jumped.

So we were sitting and going 'What the???" and I did the video.

Then, I said "What if the mouse is wet INSIDE"? I unplugged the mouse from the computer and it stopped jumping. I re-plugged it and it started jumping. I took it out and it stopped.

That did it for me.

I immediately went to see Ivan and as I'm walking in I'm yelling 'No, it's not the decoding problem anymore, my computer screen is jumping".

I had the mouse with me. He simply unscrews the mouse and he and his partner said (with a solemn expression).

THIS MOUSE IS DEAD.

I said "it's dead, why?" He goes "look at all the water".

Got a new mouse. $10.00

Came home, Alan was very happy.

And no, I am NOT telling this man that I spilled water on a mouse.

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 10-28-2010, 10:24 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

LOL, cat jumped up on my desk last week and spilled coffee w/ cream & sugar all over my mouse and side of desk, mouse pad etc...

rinsed, cleaned & dried it but still wasn't working right , so got spare one from laptop and it worked fine.

then tried the old one a few days later on the laptop and it is fine now..

so yours might be OK again after it gets all the way dried out, or did Ivan keep it?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Tiny little fibers can get caught in the little hole that the optical light shines from ...they are very hard to see, and you need a magnifier sometimes. My mouse gets these because of my cats, and the screen will jump when there are fibers caught in there.

I just use a tweezers to pluck them out.

I've never had a spill at the computer yet... I don't put liquids near it ever, with the cats walking around like they do!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-29-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Ivan didn't keep it. I brought it home. Now I can't find it. I probably threw it away thinking "this thing is dead"

I wonder how one of those cordless, wireless mice are? Everyone seems to have one.

So all of you keep my secret. Melody NEVER spilled any water.

lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-29-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mel, you are a stinker, lol!!!

Every so often my screen goes black for about 2 seconds and I can't figure it out. I guess one day it will stay that way and I'll go shopping.

My DH was at the computer desk a few weeks ago and I heard a loud noise, (like something dropped) and then another noise. He didn't say a word. When I used the keyboard later, it only typed about half the letters. Mouse worked fine. The next day it was still misbehaving, so I called DH and he said something "might" have fallen on it.

I wasn't able to get to Radio Shack right away. Want to know something amazing? IT'S ALL BETTER NOW!!! I can't figure it out, cuz I didn't do anything special. Well, I DID replace the batteries (cordless), but that didn't fix it at the time. *cue spooky music*

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:02 PM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Mel, you are a stinker, lol!!!

Every so often my screen goes black for about 2 seconds and I can't figure it out. I guess one day it will stay that way and I'll go shopping.

My DH was at the computer desk a few weeks ago and I heard a loud noise, (like something dropped) and then another noise. He didn't say a word. When I used the keyboard later, it only typed about half the letters. Mouse worked fine. The next day it was still misbehaving, so I called DH and he said something "might" have fallen on it.

I wasn't able to get to Radio Shack right away. Want to know something amazing? IT'S ALL BETTER NOW!!! I can't figure it out, cuz I didn't do anything special. Well, I DID replace the batteries (cordless), but that didn't fix it at the time. *cue spooky music*

Speaking about spooky music, boy have I got a funny story to tell you.

Don't know if you are a sci fi fan, BUT I AM. So I am always hunting for the old 1950's sci fi movies about people coming from the future and terrorizing the earth. So I found a gem. It's called Terror from the Year 5000.

It's up in like 10 parts on youtube. The odd thing about youtube is that even if you x out of it, it will still have the audio from the film you are watching.

So a few days ago, I finished watching the movie, I exited out of it, got off the computer, went about my business and I was in the kitchen.

Alan sits down the computer . There is nothing showing on the bottom of the screen that the internet was still up and running.

All of a sudden he starts yelling 'We have time travelers, we have time travelers"!!!!!

I said 'what on earth are you yelling about now"

He says "There is a time traveler from the year 5000 and he's speaking to me" "I tell you, there is a time traveler trying to communicate with us through the computer"

I thought the man lost his mind. I said 'you are crazy?" I look at the computer screen and we are not online!!!

He says "Oh really?? put on the headphones) we use headphones so as to not disturb the people downstairs.

I put on the headphones and I'm hearing the following:

"From the future, 5400 AD, from the future, Terror, from the future".

I still didn't get it. I'm listening and I'm going "What the h???"

He looks at me and says "I always knew there was time traveling and now they have contacted us"

I started to laugh, I bring up mozilla, and there on the screen is the film I was watching. TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000.

I said" 'not only are you NOT communicating with a time traveler, you are listening to some trailer from this movie"

The look on his face was priceless.

Remind me to tell you what I put him through the day in 1995 when the film Independence Day came out.

I had him running into the street.

I'm that good!!
lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (10-29-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I had this the other week where the screen would jump, but also the mouse arrow would not move fluidly across the screen. I thought it was the mouse until I notice that it worked fine on other areas of the desk.

I appears that the bluetooth mouse was getting aggravated by my WiFi router for some reason. Moved the router back 2 inches and it is fine now.

RobinM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 PM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinM View Post
I had this the other week where the screen would jump, but also the mouse arrow would not move fluidly across the screen. I thought it was the mouse until I notice that it worked fine on other areas of the desk.

I appears that the bluetooth mouse was getting aggravated by my WiFi router for some reason. Moved the router back 2 inches and it is fine now.
And if you think I know what a bluetooth mouse is......

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY