Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I have a question about Verizon Fios

Here in good old Brooklyn, NY we still have Verizon DSL and that's just fine. We are not wired up yet for Fios.

My friend who lives in NJ, well her son got it the other day and she went there and she called me all excited saying "I have youtube on the tv". I said to her "you also have Facebook".

She said the picture is amazing. I said "he has a HD tv, of course the picture is amazing".

She was extremely excited about this Verizon Fios.

I have a few questions. I just went online and read a guy's blog about how he wants to know all about Verizon Fios before he ordered it. And after he ordered it, he took pictures of all the installation on the side of the house, and where they drill cables, etc. etc, and I just stared and said "oh my god, they are taking over"

I mean, holy cow, all this technology, where the heck did it come from?

They are replacing the copper wires with fiber optics (I undersand this part).

Now here is where it gets confusing for me. We still use VCR's in this house. I went online to learn about Fios and they have DVR's and multi use DVR's.

What is multi use? Alan watches tv in the living room, I watch in the bedroom, We presently have 3 tv's and 3 vcrs so I tape everything and we swap tapes.

How does this work with Verizon Fios?

And we do not have HD television. We have ordinary television.

I just want to be prepared for the day when they come in and wire Brooklyn, and they start offering the $89.99 a month bundle.

What is the internet speed for the $89.99 bundle. Is it fast? I am just fine with the DSL I have now. I have the second level of DSL. When I first signed up it was $17.99 and it was the first level DSL. Then we upgraded and we have a bundle and I think I have something like 3 something or other and it's just fine.

When one orders the Verizon Fios triple thing for $89.99 is the internet part of it as fast or faster than what I have now?

And how on earth do you access youtube and facebook on the television. I do not understand this part.

Technology is running over me like crazy and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

Alan can't even program the VCR and if there's a message from the Directv on the tv, he calles me saying "Why is there a message saying "Your receiver id number is blah blah....." He knows absolutely nothing about these things an I simply take the remote, hit the exit button and the message goes away.

So what will happen if I ever get this Verizon Fios? Do we have to learn dvr's and multi room, or multi use????? I have no clue.

If someone can tell me "Melody, this is how they install Verizon Fios", they will have to drill cables into your house"...Now let's talk about this....

I do not own, I rent. So if I ever get Verizon Fios, can't they simply unplug the Directv cables, pull them out through the holes they already made, and just take the Fios cables and slide them through the existing holes? Or do they have to drill into my apartment?

No one around me has Verizon Fios because my neighborhood is not wired for it yet. And I have no idea when it will be available.

I just like to have my ducks all in a row before I ever have to order this thing.

And I still think the aliens in Roswell New Mexico, gave us ALL of this technology.

I saw the connections that they use for Fios.

No way we invented this stuff.

Obviously, this post is meant for ANYONE WHO HAS VERIZON FIOS.

lol
Thanks much
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-29-2010, 12:29 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

We have Verizon Fios and love it. We originally had Comcast and when we moved to our current house 3 years ago fios was not quite ready. I didn't like Comcast so went with Direct TV and had a 2 yr contract. Then fios came in and as soon as 2 years were up we switched and are not sorry. The quality is excellent. We have all HD TV's but our neighbors who don't have are just as happy with it, especially the DVR. You order a multi room DVR and they install a box under your TV. You can record as many shows as you want and then in our case, when hubby is watching football, I go to my office and watch other TV or something I recorded. It's great. You can watch a recorded show on any TV.

We have not yet utilized facebook or youtube on the TV but they do give you instructions how to do it and there is online help. Fios is much, much faster than DSL. You will be amazed.

I can't speak to the prices offered you as there are special deals for where ever you live.

They were able to reuse the holes from the Direct TV. Not a problem. Have them come to your house and walk through it to show you what they will do and where. It is not obtrusive. And yes, the internet is included with the 3 in one packages.

Hope this helps.

Thelrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Here in good old Brooklyn, NY we still have Verizon DSL and that's just fine. We are not wired up yet for Fios.

My friend who lives in NJ, well her son got it the other day and she went there and she called me all excited saying "I have youtube on the tv". I said to her "you also have Facebook".

She said the picture is amazing. I said "he has a HD tv, of course the picture is amazing".

She was extremely excited about this Verizon Fios.

I have a few questions. I just went online and read a guy's blog about how he wants to know all about Verizon Fios before he ordered it. And after he ordered it, he took pictures of all the installation on the side of the house, and where they drill cables, etc. etc, and I just stared and said "oh my god, they are taking over"

I mean, holy cow, all this technology, where the heck did it come from?

They are replacing the copper wires with fiber optics (I undersand this part).

Now here is where it gets confusing for me. We still use VCR's in this house. I went online to learn about Fios and they have DVR's and multi use DVR's.

What is multi use? Alan watches tv in the living room, I watch in the bedroom, We presently have 3 tv's and 3 vcrs so I tape everything and we swap tapes.

How does this work with Verizon Fios?

And we do not have HD television. We have ordinary television.

I just want to be prepared for the day when they come in and wire Brooklyn, and they start offering the $89.99 a month bundle.

What is the internet speed for the $89.99 bundle. Is it fast? I am just fine with the DSL I have now. I have the second level of DSL. When I first signed up it was $17.99 and it was the first level DSL. Then we upgraded and we have a bundle and I think I have something like 3 something or other and it's just fine.

When one orders the Verizon Fios triple thing for $89.99 is the internet part of it as fast or faster than what I have now?

And how on earth do you access youtube and facebook on the television. I do not understand this part.

Technology is running over me like crazy and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

Alan can't even program the VCR and if there's a message from the Directv on the tv, he calles me saying "Why is there a message saying "Your receiver id number is blah blah....." He knows absolutely nothing about these things an I simply take the remote, hit the exit button and the message goes away.

So what will happen if I ever get this Verizon Fios? Do we have to learn dvr's and multi room, or multi use????? I have no clue.

If someone can tell me "Melody, this is how they install Verizon Fios", they will have to drill cables into your house"...Now let's talk about this....

I do not own, I rent. So if I ever get Verizon Fios, can't they simply unplug the Directv cables, pull them out through the holes they already made, and just take the Fios cables and slide them through the existing holes? Or do they have to drill into my apartment?

No one around me has Verizon Fios because my neighborhood is not wired for it yet. And I have no idea when it will be available.

I just like to have my ducks all in a row before I ever have to order this thing.

And I still think the aliens in Roswell New Mexico, gave us ALL of this technology.

I saw the connections that they use for Fios.

No way we invented this stuff.

Obviously, this post is meant for ANYONE WHO HAS VERIZON FIOS.

lol
Thanks much
Melody
Thelrose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-29-2010)