advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused How long does ssi take to pay back pay

I was approved for ssd 3mths ago I applied about 17mths ago when I applied I applied for both ssd and ssi. When I recieved my award letter I thought It was for both ssd and ssi until I read the back and they said they were holding my backpay to see if I qualify for ssi WHAT!!! So about a mth later I get a letter saying I have an appointment to see if I will get ssi. I have had the appointment in the same week I noticed that my scheduled mthly payment day had been changed to the 3rd of the mth. Does this mean that I was approved because to get ssdi on the 3rd of the month you have to recieve both ssd and ssi. I recieved a letter I thought it was finally my ssi letter telling me if I was approved are not but it was a letter explaining about the lawyer fees which has been taken out of the ssd already and it said I will be getting a letter to tell me if they will have to pay the fee out of ssi. My thing is everything was in one letter when they sent the notice of awards why is it seperate now the ssd letter stated the amount of backpay, how long they went back, the lawyer fee. If I am approved why I'am I paying two fees if I may never see the ssd to pay back ssi. can anyone tell me what to expect from this point.
menme is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menme View Post
I was approved for ssd 3mths ago I applied about 17mths ago when I applied I applied for both ssd and ssi. When I recieved my award letter I thought It was for both ssd and ssi until I read the back and they said they were holding my backpay to see if I qualify for ssi WHAT!!! So about a mth later I get a letter saying I have an appointment to see if I will get ssi. I have had the appointment in the same week I noticed that my scheduled mthly payment day had been changed to the 3rd of the mth. Does this mean that I was approved because to get ssdi on the 3rd of the month you have to recieve both ssd and ssi. I recieved a letter I thought it was finally my ssi letter telling me if I was approved are not but it was a letter explaining about the lawyer fees which has been taken out of the ssd already and it said I will be getting a letter to tell me if they will have to pay the fee out of ssi. My thing is everything was in one letter when they sent the notice of awards why is it seperate now the ssd letter stated the amount of backpay, how long they went back, the lawyer fee. If I am approved why I'am I paying two fees if I may never see the ssd to pay back ssi. can anyone tell me what to expect from this point.
The ALJ makes a finding of disability and makes that for both SSI and SSDI. However, nowhere in the ALJ decision do you see any dollar amounts.

The payment center effectuates the payment of SSDI portion of the claim. The local office effectuates payment of the SSI portion of the claim. Why? Two programs. Two different sets of non-medical rules.

Fees can be due on both sets of retroactive benefits but cannot exceed the amount in the fee agreement (probably $6000). The SSDI fee is based on the actual amount of the retroactive SSDI. The SSI fee is based on the amount of the retroactive SSI that would have been due if the SSDI had been paid on time. Read that a few times.

If the SSDI retroactive benefit is $10,000, then the fee is 25% or $2500. If the SSI retroactive benefit is $8000 but would have been $2000 if the SSDI benefits had been paid on time, then the SSI fee is $500 (25% of $2000). However, the SSI is paid out to you. The SSDI can be offset by the amount of SSI that would not have been paid if the SSDI had been paid on time. The retroactive SSI can also be paid in installments, six months apart, an attempt by Congress to balance the budget on the backs of the SSI recipients (IMHO).

Read it all a few times. Try to fit it to your award letters.

It is reasonable to expect first monthly checks 30-60 days after the date of the ALJ decision and retroactive benefits 60-90 days later. If it is taking longer, there is a problem somewhere.

Ultimately, of the total retroactive benefits, you get 75% and the attorney gets 25% (capped at a max of $6000).
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi! Congrats on your approval!
I was approved at the end of May and received my backpay in August. My first monthly check was in July.
All the best to you!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Hi! Congrats on your approval!
I was approved at the end of May and received my backpay in August. My first monthly check was in July.
All the best to you!

Just recieved $2,022 in ssi backpay. Just wandering did you apply for ssi and ssd, because I totally do not understand their process. They owe me more than this but they can only send that amount every six mths. And there holding my ssd backpay to pay ssi back. TOTALLY CONFUSSING
Old 12-04-2010, 12:20 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am also struggling to understand your situation, because it seems like mine.
-I got a fully favorable decision in 11-10 for both ssi/ssdi
-then a letter from ssdi soon after stating what my backpay is/ what my lawyer got, My monthly amount, and the date it 'should' come every month. sounds right so far.
When the SSI backpay is finally calculated I know it is sent in portions, my question is; Do they not send the SSDI backpay until all the SSI portions are sent?? Because even though that seems insane, it could very well be 'par' for this course, eh?
-If you could kindly keep me posted, because my story is like your story, only one chapter behind.
lono is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Just recieved $2,022 in ssi backpay. Just wandering did you apply for ssi and ssd, because I totally do not understand their process. They owe me more than this but they can only send that amount every six mths. And there holding my ssd backpay to pay ssi back. TOTALLY CONFUSSING
I did not apply (or qualify) for SSDI.. but I did get that exact amount in SSI backpay. Then a month later I got the rest (eight hundred and some dollars). I didn't have to wait 6 months for the rest of my back pay.

But because I have not applied for SSDI, there may be very different rules and processes to go through. Hope you get it all figured out soon. It will come in time.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was approved for SSDI mid-Sept. and I am still waiting for backpay. I've had two deposits for the monthly amount, but have heard nothing on the backpay.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:32 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Janke's post was spot on and should help all of you quite a bit. It can take a couple of months to get your back pay. Keep in mind that SSI and SSDI are two different programs within Social Security. SSDI is based on the money a worker pays in Social Security when they were able to work. If someone did not work or did not pay enough into Social Security, then they will draw SSI. The Social Security Administration requires a lot more information from the applicant when they receive SSI. Usually, they interview in person and you must bring in documentation to prove your outgoing bills. If you haven't received your back pay within 90 days, you should go back to your attorney for help with the back pay.
Cerridwen35 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by lono View Post
I am also struggling to understand your situation, because it seems like mine.
-I got a fully favorable decision in 11-10 for both ssi/ssdi
-then a letter from ssdi soon after stating what my backpay is/ what my lawyer got, My monthly amount, and the date it 'should' come every month. sounds right so far.
When the SSI backpay is finally calculated I know it is sent in portions, my question is; Do they not send the SSDI backpay until all the SSI portions are sent?? Because even though that seems insane, it could very well be 'par' for this course, eh?
-If you could kindly keep me posted, because my story is like your story, only one chapter behind.
Sorry It took me so long to repley, you may have recieved some of your backpay by now but after speaking with the right person at the ss office I finally understood what happens with paying the ssi back. Example... if you recieved 7,700 from ssd and 8,500 from ssi they will sent you according to this amount about 1,800 for ssd back pay and 2,022 for ssi back pay and the ssi comes first and about two days later I was not expecting it but the ssd came after you recieve these to checks if your approved for both the portion for paying back ssi has already been taken and that would be 7,700-1,800= 5,900 already paid to ssi thats all they will get and the rest of 8,500-2,022= 6,478 or some portion of this will be sent in six months if you don,t recieve all of it in six months then after six more months they have to send all thats left no matter what amount it is. I hope I did not confuse you with this it took me a while to understand it myself.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default ssdi

Quote:
I filed for ssdi in 2004 bend back in forth to court got my first check nov 2010 they owe me 85,000 in back pay you cannot call the payment center what can i do now its bend past 90 days called ssi they dont know **** please let me know
parlayone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote