Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Not Complaining, just wondering

Good day, everyone...I thought I would like to share some thoughts with you hoping to feel a little better about myself. I will try to make this brief. I have had PD since 1999 and really have been one of the fortunate ones...only a tremor and some slight imbalance. I am, and have been for a very long time, taking Sinemet, Mirapex and Amantadine. My problems really started two years ago when I retired. While taking a walk, I tripped over a raised sidewalk and fell. The outcome of this was two knee surgeries. I went to Physical Therapy and am still there. I cannot get back full mobility in one of my legs which leads to imbalance. In the process of trying to find the cause of this problem, the doctors performed MRI's, X-rays, and blood tests. The blood work-up showed a slight imbalance of a protein made in the bone marrow...thus, off to a hematologist who did a bone marrow biopsy. Fortunately, it was not Myeloma (which had been slightly suspect), but rather, a rare blood disorder, MGUS, which for most people, needs no treatment. However, one of five could develop Myeloma so that I will have to be monitored every 6 months...probably for the remainder of my life. Let me not forget to tell you that, within this time frame, I have had to have my blood monitored for sugar. I also have some double vision which I have yet to have checked...attributing this to weak muscles from the PD. The rest of me is "ok"
right now. Now, for the purpose of this thread, I would like to ask you wonderfful people out there if you have had similar problems? I know that medication can "do a job"on the body with its side effects. I am just so tired of going to doctors...going for tests, etc. I read the forum every day, and I know that there are so many astute people here. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you...
Doreen
Geoann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tulip girl (11-07-2010)

advertisement
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default eyes but not knees.....

double vision yes, and baffled optometrist who couldn't understand why, except for slowness within the structure of the eye. responsiveness to light change in focus etc.... eye muscles respond but v slowly, especially when low on dopamine, when fully on no problem..... she said this is not a functional eye weakness.....

really not much about this anywhere though there have been threads over the years about double vision

related to low dopa in eyes? I think so, neuro observed limited movement in eyes and poor responses, but said in practicality he knows of nothing other than consistent blood dopa......
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:24 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Doreen, You have been thru a lot and I am so sorry you have to worry about myeloma.
Are you asking if there is any connection with all of this -knees, blood work , myeloma with PD? Without researching it, I would say not but if there is a connection, I am sure that someone will come up with it. What does your MDS say? Take care.

TG
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just for the record...

Important Safety Information

The most common side effects of Stalevo therapy are dopaminergic in nature (e.g. dyskinesia, nausea). These side effects may be manageable with alteration in the drug dosing schedule. Other common side effects include diarrhea, hyperkinesias, urine discoloration, hypokinesia, abdominal pain, dizziness, constipation, fatigue, pain and hallucinations. Stalevo is contraindicated for use concomitantly for nonselective monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, with selegiline at doses >10 mg/day, in patients with narrow-angle glaucoma, and in patients with suspicious, undiagnosed skin lesions or a history of melanoma. For full prescribing information, visit http://www.stalevo.com.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/78954.php
tulip girl (11-08-2010)