Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New to the forum. First new topic.

Wow- I wish I'd found this site three months back or so (I've had PCS almost four months now).

Thanks to the mods for the stickies on resources, inspiration, etc. Mark in Idaho seems to offer good info here as well.

My PCS story makes me depressed in how stupid it is.

Most people, I suppose, have a car accident, assault, etc. Then take it easy, see a doctor, I guess- Well...

Went on a cruise ship for my first time, and sneezed while reading Forbes. Turned my head to the left, head swung down onto a tall wood chair backrest, and pow- I'm catching all the blood in my activity program as I walk down to my cabin. If only I had kept my head straight. Or sneezed on the dumb magazine.

That night I have four mixed drinks on the ship pub crawl.
Foolish! What did this do to my recovery?

Two weeks later, the headaches are so bad I go to the emergency room & get the CAT scan. I have no insurance/doctor, so I do get a bit of financial aid (thank God). But I think this was a waste of $1000. I wouldn't be able to afford anything if there was bleeding.

Since then, I foolishly run one day to make an eye appointment, and ended up w/heart pain for a few weeks. I wonder if this has slowed recovery time.

I finally went to a clinic & tried Naproxen.
I've had three injuries while on it & sleep deprived over the past month- my right knee, pinkie, and forearm, all crushed with... chairs. Now I hope to recover from these as well.

I am grateful I've had no cognitive issues, but have been limited to headaches, slight depression, and diziness (fading).

I'm 37, and 125 lbs (I've always tried to gain weight).
I took no time off work, often work 12-hour + days, 7 days a week (sometimes) at home, and 4.5 hours a day is nannying a... 2-year-old.
And there has been times of extreme relational stress (being cursed at, etc.)

I don't want to make this too long- I thank God for my life, and hope to recover from the headache soon

Thanks again for this forum.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (11-26-2010), Theta Z (11-18-2010)

advertisement
Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jeffrey,

Sorry to see you here. Your story is not bizarre like you think. I stepped off a curb and landed with my knee locked and jarred from my pelvis to my head. Every other concussion/mTBI I had suffered had recovered to an acceptable level.

The head injuries I consider problematic are those that result from being drunk or doing risky stunts like drag racing a car and crashing at the end of the drag strip.

Accidents happen. That is why they are called accidents.

You need to heed one piece of advice. Slow down and listen to you brain/body and take care of it.

Then, connect with others who can give you support at slowing down.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (11-18-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the response very much.

Hmm- I forgot to mention I hit my head ten years ago on a metal hook at work (walked into it- very lame).
I was unconsciouss for a few seconds, bled, went to the doctor, but didn't have PCS. Fortunate!

I wonder if that has an effect on the current situation.

Unfortunately, I've had a few minor bumps to the head over the past months- the endtable while reaching for something, chrome shower door top strip, the low shower head a few times, and the metal rail at the top of my bed. I wonder if the have had an effect on recovery-

I also like the Psalm quote in your sig.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 11-10-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (11-26-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Jeffrey,
I am with you....my accident happened in early August. I just got this month off on short term disability and couldn't imagine one more day on the subway commuting to Grand Central Station in NYC. Panic attacks!

Being home helps. Sleeping way more than i would and I really think sleep helps. I see a great Cranial Osteopath. The day after my first treatment with him major change happened. It was 3 months in and his treatment unlocked some bones in my skull that had locked up. From that day forward I don't see things flying in my face, my sesory overload is a little better -light is easier to handle, noise not so much, and visually things seem better. My head is much bettter hat handling speed in cars and the train though its' still there.

I have energy. I'm not more tired then normal and my memory seems ok....what is killing me is this pressure on the left side of my head which feels like my head is going to burst open. It hurts to sit, to stand...Anyone have this, where when your heals touch the bed or a surface it goes straight into your head?

I will not accept the idea of not fully recovering! I WILL HEAL AND SO WILL YOU!
steph
stepha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-18-2010, 02:00 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepha View Post
Hi Jeffrey,
I am with you....my accident happened in early August. I just got this month off on short term disability and couldn't imagine one more day on the subway commuting to Grand Central Station in NYC. Panic attacks!

Being home helps. Sleeping way more than i would and I really think sleep helps. I see a great Cranial Osteopath. The day after my first treatment with him major change happened. It was 3 months in and his treatment unlocked some bones in my skull that had locked up. From that day forward I don't see things flying in my face, my sesory overload is a little better -light is easier to handle, noise not so much, and visually things seem better. My head is much bettter hat handling speed in cars and the train though its' still there.

I have energy. I'm not more tired then normal and my memory seems ok....what is killing me is this pressure on the left side of my head which feels like my head is going to burst open. It hurts to sit, to stand...Anyone have this, where when your heals touch the bed or a surface it goes straight into your head?

I will not accept the idea of not fully recovering! I WILL HEAL AND SO WILL YOU!
steph
Hey steph. I live in NYC also, and I pretty much have stopped riding the subway because of panic attacks. I ride the express bus from the Bronx, Talking panic attacks, I can't imagine riding the 4/5 train like I used to to 125th Street where I would have to wait for the 6 train transfer. Ugh.
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:22 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

steph,

If your Cranial Osteopath is working for you, I would suggest not confusing yourself with outside information. There is a debate whether Cranial Osteopathy is useful for its physiological value or its placebo value, or both. You would only confuse the issue by mixing treatment disciplines.

Adding good rest, good nutrition, and lowering your daily stimulation/work load is about all that should be added to your DO's regimen.

Other outside influences can disrupt the placebo value which some studies put at 60%. .

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I see many new people. Just wanted to say high.

My story is posted in the pages quite aways back. I was one of the
first to benefit from this room.

I can state one of the best things we get from this room, is the support
of others.

So continue coming ask questions, but if all you really need is support
just say so.

We will be here for that .

Donna
Dmom3005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SpaceCadet (01-05-2012)