Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Out of Control Symptoms

Hi all. This is my first post on this forum, but I also need to ask for a little help. I was dx'd YOPD early this year, but, after a bout of severe bronchitis to mild pnemonia, my symptoms have gone through the roof. I have rest tremor not only in my right hand, but also now in my right foot. The foot tremor seemed to make my leg stiffer, producing a pronounced drag, not just the heel hitting the ground as before. It's so out of control, I only lasted half my shift at work before being sent home. Thus far, I'm on 2mg Artane tid, .125 Mirapex tid, and 1mg Azilect qd. I've called my neuro and they fit me in for tomorrow in a cancellation spot. Does anyone have any advice on how to get my neuro to take a more agressive tact in controlling my symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.
shakyjon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I am not a regular poster on PD, but I do read here. I do post mostly on the Peripheral Neuropathy forum.

I have a question for you...

Did you take Cipro or Levaquin for your antibiotics with your infections?

This family of drugs causes nerve damage in some people:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post661103-2.html

This family of drugs affects elderly patients more, in the Central Nervous System, than younger patients. The jury is still out with PD causation, but I think it should be considered a potential cause of your worsening issues, if you received one of these drugs.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was prescribed levaquin, but as the PA thought it was viral and drugs with no generic are $60 in copay, I just stuck with the albuterol inhaler he gave me. But thanks for the info. I'm glad I didn't take it.
shakyjon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-16-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Infections can cause exhacerbation of PD symptoms. Since you didn't take a course of antibiotics you may still have a low grade infectiion going on. Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. My son paid $180 for a 7 day course of Levaquin - after 2nd dose, his face swelled up and now we have 6 days worth of expensive antibiotics on hand. Did they do any viral cultures on you to determine if you indeed did have a virus. Just throwing out ideas. Have your urine tested for urinary tract infection. I agree with Mrs D that this antibiotic is very potent and not without risk. My ot her bit of advixe is to insist on seeing your PCP instead of their PA who may be great but you have a chronic disease that requires more diligence for your generall health. Are you sleeping? Lack of sleep may also make your symptoms worse. or stress. Gotta go
Write back and tell us what your neuro comes up with.
Take Care

tulip girl
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
krugen68 (11-16-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default stress makes PD much worse

There are several posts/threads here about infections, illness (even a cold), and stress. All make PD much worse. A lot. The best thing you can do personally, other than meet with your neuro for advice, is de stress your life. Do a search here to learn more. You can often get back to where you were before you got sick, but you have to relax and destress as much as possible. Worrying about possibly worsening symptoms is one of the most stressful things, unfortunately. I hope you can get back to where you were before you got sick.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
krugen68 (11-16-2010)