Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 04:29 PM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Internet Explorer and Ebay???

Anybody else having problems? I can't access "My eBay", or most other parts of eBay except the home page. It almost opens, then the browser window abruptly closes. Sometimes I get the "report error" message, and sometimes just BING! it's gone.

This just started today. I thought it was just eBay, but it randomly happened with a couple of other sites, such as Google shopping. I can't find anything on the news or Google search except on the eBay discussion boards.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I just had my Avast block two malwares.

Yesterday I tried viewing a poetry site and some auto download started, and I closed and rebooted---nothing triggered there.

But today I had two events where I clicked on something here, and another website popped up.

I am running malwarebytes now, and it is almost done. So far it is showing one infection!

I think this time of year there are going to be many attacks by spammers!

I use Firefox... but you may want to download free the Malwarebytes and run it. We like it, and it catches alot.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Malwarebytes just found 8 things, and removed them.

Now I cannot get on the internet at all. I called my son and he said his coworker at the software place he works at had this happen and it was a nightmare to fix.

Be careful...whatever this is is nasty!

I am using a backup laptop to type this to you.

I am running Avast to see what it finds, and then will rerun the Malware program again. But it looks like a nasty thing....and I don't even go many places to get them.

My avast blocked two things today also, one was a forum!

I am so angry....I hate stuff like this.

Jo, if you have any suggestions, we are both waiting for you
here!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I figured it out!

I really don't know how I did it... as I am not a computer person, so I am thinking this is a miracle for us!

I reran both scans, Malware and Avast and they came up zero.
I rebooted again... and then got the Proxy Server error message.

So I went on our backup laptop, and looked up the exact wording of the error message..

There were many sites with suggestions. I had to go thru several to find the real fix.

1) first try, internet options at the top of the page of your brower,
For Mozilla it was Tools>options>advanced>network>settings
uncheck the proxy box. Well this was already blank for us.
so that didn't work

2) second try:
Control panel>internet options>connections>LAN settings.
all boxes should be unchecked and empty.... and there IT was
checked--the proxy permission box
The helper on the site said with certain types of infection the malware checks that box so you cannot get back on the net!

Boy they are malicious!

This all just happened in the past 24 hrs here. There must be a ton of new stuff for Xmas going around!

I hope this helps someone!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-18-2010)
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Oh dear, I'll have to read this again tomorrow when my brain is semi-functional. I downloaded and ran the Malwarebytes, it found two infected something and got rid of them. I still can't get into My eBay, but maybe I can figure it out tomorrow.

I asked my techie son if he thought it originated from ebay, and he said that his guess was that it manifested itself there, but didn't know where it originated. I thought my Norton was supposed to fend off those bad dudes.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, Malware had 8 things on it. And I only had 2 hits on Avast today.

What was happening is that one of the infections was hijacking my clicking on things. I got hijacked from here even twice!

We run 4 things every weekend. Adaware, Malwarebytes, spybot and Avast. And we never find anything! This weekend we were clean, and during the last 24 hrs I picked up a boatload!

I have noticed that Ebay does stall out sometimes, but I have never had what you are describing.

Anyway bookmark this fix... it seems very important to me...that you could fix an intrusion, and be left with something that blocks your ability to get back on the internet!

When I log off tonight we are doing the Maleware scan of the backup.
Just to make sure.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

we use Firefox and hubby was just on Ebay today- so far so good.

We use Zone Alarm Extreme Security full time & the WOT browser add on for extra internet security & also run other anti virus scanner programs occasionally if the computer starts acting odd or slow.

It's good to have a second AV program installed and set up -but only run it manually as needed.
Don't depend 100% on a single product to catch all the bad things.

some other info -
Virus Removal Tools
[If your PC is infected with one of the viruses listed below, you can use McAfee's FREE tools to remove it from your system and help repair the damage done.]
http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusRemovalTools.aspx

[Malicious Code has become increasingly complex and infections involve more system elements than ever before. Symantec Security Response has developed tools to automatically conduct what would often amount to extensive and tedious manual removal tasks. If your system has become infected, the tools listed below should aid you in repairing the damage. ]
http://us.norton.com/security_response/removaltools.jsp
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face

The overnight scans...

1) E drive for Malware found nothing. (so they didn't back up yet)

2) Avast scan of the Edrive found 2, of serious nature! Those are now gone.

I wonder if the searching I did for cat statues started all this?

I don't go many places, but in the last week I was looking up things for posters here, and doing that statue for Sheba's grave search.

I occasionally will get a hit from Avast from Yahoo even, but I didn't have that this time.

I am so conservative normally on the net. This was a real wake up call, and the first time ever that we got blocked from our browser from a simple virus/trojan scan and removal.

I guess we have been just lucky so far!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I understand about 5% of all this. I think I need to have my son come over and go through everything, see what I need and what I don't need. Or take a "crash" course in computer security.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-19-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM #10
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question

Don't feel badly about it, Blessings...

Neither of us are computer gifted either. We had alot of problems with Zone Alarm, when we got our first laptop.

For someone who is not good with all the messages and understanding them, Zone Alarm is a pain in the butt IMO. It actually froze our new laptop. So we switched to Avast free version, and for 3 yrs or so now, it has worked well.

I don't think anything catches everything...stuff is going to sneak thru. That is why we do 4 programs weekly, each one catches different malwares.

I am going to cut back on helping people here, like I always used to. I am not going to expose myself to everything out there!

There is a good program at Trend Micro, called HouseCall which is free. I use it every year or so, and last time it caught one thing none of the others did. It is a LONG scan... hours for us.

My son put the Microsoft Windows firewall on the fixed laptop. And it seems to be doing the job. But I don't use it that much either. It is also on the new one my hubby uses, that is Windows 7.

I am still using XP on here and my old back up laptop.

Did your removal of 2 entries fix your Ebay problem? Does that work better now?

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-19-2010)