Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question Facebook question, technical:

Why is it that I cannot see the picture upload icon on the walls of friends, so I can upload a picture?

I have done it before and the icon was there.

On my laptop I looked it up and the icon exists there---same account same settings.

Does this have to do with my computer problems, from the trojans I removed 2 days ago? I have uploaded here with no problem since that fix.

I don't understand this at all... I left a question at FB but I don't know how long it takes to get answers if any over there. Seems like they are not easily found for a personal answer.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

If it is only happening on one friend's wall, then they may have their settings to not permit others to upload photos to their wall

I am seeing the icon to add photos to friends' walls

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:12 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Just checked mine - if you click on the photo tab - then the "create a photo album" button...
that's the only place I see to do it.

I don't put many photos on my FB account.

added-
I don't see any place to upload photos on my friends pages...
Old 11-20-2010, 01:25 PM #4
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I think that what mrsD is trying to do is to post a photo on someone else's wall............... at least that is how I understood it

Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:26 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

I belong to a general site. it is the social network for the town, nearest us. I put up a photo just a month ago there, no problem. You can go there and see Oreo today!
It is not a "friend" but a "like" site. Basically it is a update of daily social things, pretty landscape pics etc. Some very interesting historical trivia. Kind of FUN!

Today, those icons are not around anywhere! I asked the admin on the site about it and she said that in her experience she has lost "comment" and "like" boxes for DAYS over there. With no solution. Candis suggested closing Firefox and reloading it, but I haven't done that yet. I suspect it is this computer, having a delayed reaction to the trojan removals, etc.
Other things seem better since the "event"... even faster internet stuff and less Google stalling. Once the pic was up, I did make some comments on other posters things, and that worked for me.

My laptop shows the icons in the proper location.

Facebook is so complicated.... that is why I do very little there.
It would drive us both nuts to have a jillion friends and get all those messages! Whew!

Last edited by mrsD; 11-20-2010 at 01:56 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 01:38 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Okay, I went there again and there are no icons.
Clicking the photo tab gives me their photo albums, no choices for ME to upload anywhere????

On our backup laptop the icons show normally from the site.

So I tried our son's page... doesn't work there either.

Tried one of hubby's friends, no icons there either. Our settings are for "friends" only. The icons do show up on the laptop!

I guess I will have to log off everything and start up FF again.
I'll do that in a bit, since we are going outside after lunch. Will close everything here too.

Last edited by mrsD; 11-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (11-20-2010), Jomar (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

Nothing works. I don't expect to get this solved...their "helpless desk" is virtually nonexistant. I saw problems posted there that are still going on from Oct. regarding photo posting.

When my son gets back from Chicago, I'll run it past him. But he totally hates FB...and doesn't use it anymore, so I guess it will remain a mystery.

I had a weird thing at Yahoo... a page came up after I logged in saying that my screen reader was incompatible with their pages.
I don't know what a screen reader is, so I looked it up. Don't have it. So after several days we sent an email to them. 2 days later they wanted a screen print so we sent that on. Nothing for over a week then. So hubby sent a "reminder" email. This is going on 2 weeks, now. Then one day I get a mail...sorry we don't know what this is, and cannot fix it. Must be your computer. (never mind I have 3 other accounts this is NOT happening on, but since they cannot read, they didn't seem to understand that.)

Well, I logged into my account and bingo, the dreaded screen reader thing was gone. (it had a prompt on it to bypass it if necessary, which I was doing). So I sent them a Thank you for not doing anything, which was opposite of what really happened.

Now I thought this was pretty strange. "We cannot fix it" and it is fixed. So those 2 weeks were indicative of what is out there these days for "errors". I don't expect anything from FB, but if I do get a fix of some kind, I'll pass it on here!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:56 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

Hubby found late last night another category on their huge long help list.... called "bugs and problems".

We clicked on that and it is a direct email to them including a text box to send a screen capture image. So we did that, and I detailed our trojan removal with Malwarebytes this week.

If this is similar to Yahoo's actions, it will be a long confusing time before we receive an answer.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:59 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue This is interesting:

We received an automated response this morning, not unlike the Yahoo one we had last month. The only difference is that this one clearly states, they don't help people really at all. Yahoo does!
Even if Yahoo's was a bit garbled, the error page I had for 2 weeks did go away!

Here is the FB reply, which I cleared with Chemar to post here.
Because it is not a personal email, and is generic, it will be allowed here. I am removing links and personal info:

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you for submitting this bug report and taking time to help us improve the site. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to every bug report individually, but we are reading them.

Screen shots often help our team diagnose problems that users are seeing. If you did not send a screen shot with your report, please follow the directions listed here:

Once you have saved the screen shot, attach it in a response to this email. If your issue is unfamiliar to our team, we may contact you for more details. If we have identified and are troubleshooting your issue, we will not need to contact you for more details.

For more information about issues currently affecting the site, please visit the Facebook Known Issues Page (www.facebook.com/KnownIssues). We thank you for your patience and feedback as we work to improve your Facebook experience.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team
So it is unclear to me if they can fix my problem or not. Seems they are interested in only certain aspects of "bugs" .
Since we sent the screen capture, I will not be answering this email.

I guess it is some kind of cookie problem, that was removed by our Malwarebytes scan and quarantine?

edit to add... the link given above about other bugs... is only one page long, and will not load other pages for us. Don't know if that is part of the problems we have or it is just THEM.

edit-- we just discovered, that we cannot view more than the most current page. Hitting the "older posts" button does not work!

Last edited by mrsD; 11-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 03:33 PM #10
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Well, part of the mystery is becoming clearer....

I am putzing around online today, and thought....I am going to try IE.... IE was not connecting to the net when were in that Proxy error stage.

So I tested IE out, and it seems okay... not very familiar with it, these days, and it has no favorites etc... but I thought to try
FaceBook...and..... drum roll.....

Everything works FINE with IE on Facebook. So it must be Mozilla! Now we consider uninstalling Firefox, and reinstalling it... I'll ask hubby because this rather scares me. I have no courage at all with this type of task!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-21-2010)