Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 08:41 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default crohn's, pd, dystonia

Just got out of a week in the hospital after a sudden intestinal obstruction caused by -- new to me -- auto-immune crohn's disease. I was on i.v. steriods and the anti-biotic flagyl for the duration. Thankfully, the obstruction has eased,
but for the first time since I was dx'ed for pd, I've developed a nasty dystonia in my left arm. Before the hospital my main symptoms were mild tremor and a little stiffness. I've read some of the posts about anesthesia bringing on heavier symptoms, but since I was spared surgery, there was none of that. My question is two-fold: any of you fellow-travelers take a big dose of steriods/antibiotics for a week and find things getting suddenly worse? and does sinemet help with dystonia. I've only been taking occasional small doses for the past 9 months and don't know whether this is the time to increase.

Yours, in a cloud of unknowing,

Jon
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-21-2010, 08:48 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquario View Post
Just got out of a week in the hospital after a sudden intestinal obstruction caused by -- new to me -- auto-immune crohn's disease. I was on i.v. steriods and the anti-biotic flagyl for the duration. Thankfully, the obstruction has eased,
but for the first time since I was dx'ed for pd, I've developed a nasty dystonia in my left arm. Before the hospital my main symptoms were mild tremor and a little stiffness. I've read some of the posts about anesthesia bringing on heavier symptoms, but since I was spared surgery, there was none of that. My question is two-fold: any of you fellow-travelers take a big dose of steriods/antibiotics for a week and find things getting suddenly worse? and does sinemet help with dystonia. I've only been taking occasional small doses for the past 9 months and don't know whether this is the time to increase.

Yours, in a cloud of unknowing,

Jon

just went through a round of anti iotics a few weeks ago and it made my meds not work.

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:20 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default no

I was in the hospital at the end of October for two nights for a kidney infection. I had slow (12 hours each, 12 hours apart) IV drips with major antibiotics added. I don't know the name or the dose of the antibiotics. On discharge I was given a prescription for five days of Cipro, which I obtained and took. It made me dizzy and decreased my appetite. Once I got off the Cipro I felt worlds better, and it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal, but I'm doing about the same now as a month before the illness.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye View Post
I was in the hospital at the end of October for two nights for a kidney infection. I had slow (12 hours each, 12 hours apart) IV drips with major antibiotics added. I don't know the name or the dose of the antibiotics. On discharge I was given a prescription for five days of Cipro, which I obtained and took. It made me dizzy and decreased my appetite. Once I got off the Cipro I felt worlds better, and it took a couple of weeks to get back to normal, but I'm doing about the same now as a month before the illness.

Jaye
Yes, they had me on intravenous Flagyl and oral Cipro for 8 days. And am still on a wierd steroid called entocort. It took me another week to recover my voice and get over the worst of the dystonia. I hadn't felt so disoriented since the '60's -- wondered if it was time to dig out my old bell bottoms . . . Finally feel like I'm approaching normal (tho that in itself is a scary thought
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote