Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 09:01 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Integrative Medicine, anyone?

I admit that I have not researched this topic thoroughly for the management of Parkinson's, and my neurologists would poo-poo this totally, but it sounds so good . . . and even moreso, it sounds so right.

Excerpt:
What makes integrative medicine appealing? Advocates point to deep dissatisfaction with a health care system that often leaves doctors feeling rushed and overwhelmed and patients feeling as if they're nothing more than diseased livers or damaged joints. Integrative medicine seems to promise more time, more attention, and a broader approach to healing -- one that is not based solely on the Western biomedical model, but also draws from other cultures.

source: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/f...emed.webmd.com

And on top of it sounding good, it seems to be acceptable in some rather scientific-based circles: (same source as above)

The Duke Center for Integrative Medicine is a classic model of integrative care. It combines conventional Western medicine with alternative or complementary treatments, such as herbal medicine, acupuncture, massage, biofeedback, yoga, and stress reduction techniques -- all in the effort to treat the whole person. Proponents prefer the term "complementary" to emphasize that such treatments are used with mainstream medicine, not as replacements or alternatives.

Has anyone done much research on this? It sems that one would have to "research" each therapy individually, i.e. acupuncture as one complementary therapy added to a medication regime, and yoga another. And how do you get Western-medicine minded doctors to consider integrative medicine in their research?

Who is funding this type healthcare? Could this be an answer to our healthcare reform woes? And if so, shouldn't we be doing something to bring about change?

Peggy

Addendum: (I didn't read far enoughh - adding this)
To promote integrative medicine at the national level, the Osher Center and Duke have joined with 42 other academic medical centers -- including those at Harvard, Columbia, Georgetown, and the University of Pennsylvania -- to form the Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine.
Even medical schools have added courses on nontraditional therapies, although doing so can sometimes be a point of contention among faculty.
At the University of California, San Francisco, medical students can augment their coursework in infectious disease and immunology with electives, such as "Herbs and Dietary Supplements" or "Massage and Meditation." They can even opt to study as exchange students at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. In the world of integrative medicine, it's not unusual to see a Western-trained MD who also has credentials in acupuncture or hypnosis, or a registered nurse who is also a yoga teacher and massage therapist.

Last edited by pegleg; 11-22-2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Addendum
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (11-24-2010), krugen68 (11-23-2010), tulip girl (11-23-2010)

advertisement
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Integrative medicine

Hi Peg, I am a proponent and consumer of Integrative medicine though must admit the cost is a major factor in how much I consume. Most of the therapies and testing are not covered by insurance, thus it is all out of pocket. It does seem to me that many we know are availing themselves of alternative therapies today, though may be that "new baby effect"--the one in which once you have a baby seems everyone on the planet has, also. perhaps we seek out those who are like minded.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (11-24-2010), tulip girl (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I may be wrong on this but I believe, insurance is more open to reimbursment if Rx is hospital based. 1995 I had bio feedback, hospital based, paid for, 2003 I had accupuncter sessions(hospital based) - paid for. It's a money maker for hospital based programmes. Neither therapies worked....sigh

Duke offers it's integrative medicine at a discounted rate for its employees in an effort to keep everyone healthy by preventative medicine ie immunizations, nutrition counseling, exercise programmes, etc. In the long run, it saves them on health care costs. A win-win situation.

TG
tulip girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:25 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default You are both right

Olsen - thanks. There are some complementary therapies that I feel insurances are beginning to allow - Occupational therapy, Physical therapy is expanding its allowed visits, even Yoga in some cases.

TG - I believe it is done on an outpatient basis at hospitals - right? The key is that the doctor must write the Rx through the hospitals in your area.

Maybe there is hope!
Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote