advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Arrow SSDI or SSI

Hi all i am Very New here and I am so happy to be in a Area that i am not alone.
In 1997 i got shot in the head the gun was a 30-06 the bullet was a hallow point,
i was denied SSI or SSDI 3 times before an attorney even took my case and a judge from califirnia came into oregon.
I was always sick,movement made me sick.even breathing or walking made me Heave,

anyway try number 4 worked then in 2000.
in 2004 they tried to take my home i bought with the moneys from the court settlement.
i was fed up i had only gotten 100,000. and i was still hurting i tried to get back to work and i tried till sept 25 2010 when i fell 20 feet onto hard rock and clay.

Jobs i had where and did not last long
road Construction flagger
Park Ranger
cashier
Black jack dealer

Road Construction was tough but i just could not mentally get it /
Park ranger had too much to remember and i was always Paranoid
Cashier was not easy it was tough
Black Jack was my fav game and i was too slow with my hands to be able to keep the job
and working at the ranch was where i fell off the ladder.
Now again i have a brain trauma and i honestly do not know if i can get back on SSI or SSDI.
i do not know how to go about it .
I was given medical for the rest of my life but they took that away from me in 2003.
i recently went to the emergency room when i had a black out only to be yelled at by the doctor who said my eyes where black and he accused me of being on drugs.
I do not use drugs or alachol.
Any advice out there ?
Westwood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Any advice out there ?
Find an attorney who only handles Social Security cases. The attorney will let you know if you have a case. The initial consultation is free. So check out a number of them & select the attorney you are comfortable with.

Read the information on the SS website. Wealth of information there. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

"To qualify for benefits, you must first have worked in jobs covered by Social Security. Then you must have a medical condition that meets Social Security's definition of disability. In general, we pay monthly cash benefits to people who are unable to work for a year or more because of a disability."

Apply for both SSI & SSDI. SS will determine if you qualify for one or the other or even both!

Good luck!
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Westwood (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Westwood, you probably have Mydriasis (due to your head trauma):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilated_pupils

and unfortunately, found an "uneducated" ER doc.

Mz Migraine is right -- you need a lawyer -- a GOOD lawyer!
Westwood (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks all wow that Mydriasis is interesting.
I never used drugs , only OD i had was at the Local Dentists Office .
I was in the hospital after that and he was so apologetic and was like Most people your age have or are doing drugs so ???

that so almost killed me .
I have drank but drugs No way im even allergic to pot knowing this i have never wanted to try anything .
I beg my docs not to give me anything that is addicting due to family history,

I think i have a good attorney..... she said that i could go on workmans comp but my ex boss is refusing to send in my W2 forms to the Irs .
No joke i have 3 witnesses that also filled them out when i did .

I just want to heel and be ok again It took so much out of me when i got shot .
i had to relearn to walk talk and spell count and basically read.
i have worked hard in the last 13 yrs to get back to me never really fully accomplishing it but well enough to work i did so .
i bought a great spell checker and Use it all the time.
It works if i am not slurring my spoken words.
today is an OK day for me i can read with the light out side being dull due to snow but my head is in alot of pain.
again thanks Tammy
Westwood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
Thanks all wow that Mydriasis is interesting.
I never used drugs , only OD i had was at the Local Dentists Office .
I was in the hospital after that and he was so apologetic and was like Most people your age have or are doing drugs so ???

that so almost killed me .
I have drank but drugs No way im even allergic to pot knowing this i have never wanted to try anything .
I beg my docs not to give me anything that is addicting due to family history,

I think i have a good attorney..... she said that i could go on workmans comp but my ex boss is refusing to send in my W2 forms to the Irs .
No joke i have 3 witnesses that also filled them out when i did .

I just want to heel and be ok again It took so much out of me when i got shot .
i had to relearn to walk talk and spell count and basically read.
i have worked hard in the last 13 yrs to get back to me never really fully accomplishing it but well enough to work i did so .
i bought a great spell checker and Use it all the time.
It works if i am not slurring my spoken words.
today is an OK day for me i can read with the light out side being dull due to snow but my head is in alot of pain.
again thanks Tammy
Call 1-800-772-1213 before the end of November for an appointment. You need to get your intent to reapply listed with SSA. File a claim within 60 days. Get someone to help you.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 PM #6
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

If I were you I would call my local office and make an appointment, to go in. They go over the paper work with you and make sure everything is filled out properly. They can give you an idea how much you are entitled to, but the only way you will find out if you're qualified is to go through the red tape. The 1-800# only knows what you have filed. If there is no paper work they will only send you a lot of paper work that I think in your condition will probably confuse you. You can start by filing online at the ssa.gov site. There are so many factors that come into play, like if you're married, or if you have full work credits, if you have children. You are really lucky to be alive.. Good luck and take care.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:40 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
If I were you I would call my local office and make an appointment, to go in. They go over the paper work with you and make sure everything is filled out properly. They can give you an idea how much you are entitled to, but the only way you will find out if you're qualified is to go through the red tape. The 1-800# only knows what you have filed. If there is no paper work they will only send you a lot of paper work that I think in your condition will probably confuse you. You can start by filing online at the ssa.gov site. There are so many factors that come into play, like if you're married, or if you have full work credits, if you have children. You are really lucky to be alive.. Good luck and take care.
Today is 11/27/10. If a claim is not filed with SSA or an intent to file a claim is not established in 11/10, it is possible that you will have lost one month's worth of benefits. If you can put everything together before Tuesday and have time to go to your local office and hope that the walk-in traffic is light enough, then going to your office on Monday or Tuesday is a viable idea. The most important thing, though, is to establish the intent to file and then file the claim within 60 days. You can accomplish that by calling the 800# and asking for an appointment or by submitting a claim online before Tuesday. I think it makes the most sense to be thorough from the beginning and not assume that SSA will fill in the missing pieces.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:49 PM #8
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Today is 11/27/10. If a claim is not filed with SSA or an intent to file a claim is not established in 11/10, it is possible that you will have lost one month's worth of benefits. If you can put everything together before Tuesday and have time to go to your local office and hope that the walk-in traffic is light enough, then going to your office on Monday or Tuesday is a viable idea. The most important thing, though, is to establish the intent to file and then file the claim within 60 days. You can accomplish that by calling the 800# and asking for an appointment or by submitting a claim online before Tuesday. I think it makes the most sense to be thorough from the beginning and not assume that SSA will fill in the missing pieces.
Thanks for the info Janke but, I was advising Westwood. I believe Westwood lives in Oregon and it could be a small town where you can walk in and be seen pretty quickly. When I lived in South Florida I would sometimes accompany some of my clients to the agency, but never without an appointment, which even with an appointment it would still be a good 2 hr wait. and found it necessary to straighten out up to three different letters from three different people, for instance one from the district manager(Dana) or regional commissioner)Paul) and sometimes there would be no name at all, all dated within a couple of days of each other. I always enjoyed the look on the agents face when they began reading all the inconsistent on the forms. For instance, one letter would have yellow markers accompanied with a post-it stating you need to fill this in, or you didn't send your birth certificate, but then another form would point out something totally different that was missed or needed. I found the local office very helpful because the agent would gather all the forms, go over them with the client, usually find that the missing forms were there rip up the unnecessary ones and reprint just one form properly filled out, which saved both my client and myself a lot of problems. Now that I live in a small town, if you wait 20 min. that's a long time. In my personal experience the 1-800# has never really helped, they seem to all have different opinions, some of them are very helpful where others act as if you are bothering them and usually have the same information I have already submitted. I have also helped fill out forms online and have had both positive and negative results with that. Sometimes they claim they never received the form , even though I have the number that is given to you. Then they try to tell me I must have not submitted it ,which I know I did because I have a number, or that the information cannot be submitted at this time, so you have to save it and then keep trying to get it through. At other times it went right through. I agree that Windwood needs to get this filed a.s.a.p. because the date of the application helps guide when the disability began. The holidays do slow things down so, I would get it done soon.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 PM #9
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Thanks for the info Janke but, I was advising Westwood. I believe Westwood lives in Oregon and it could be a small town where you can walk in and be seen pretty quickly. When I lived in South Florida I would sometimes accompany some of my clients to the agency, but never without an appointment, which even with an appointment it would still be a good 2 hr wait. and found it necessary to straighten out up to three different letters from three different people, for instance one from the district manager(Dana) or regional commissioner)Paul) and sometimes there would be no name at all, all dated within a couple of days of each other. I always enjoyed the look on the agents face when they began reading all the inconsistent on the forms. For instance, one letter would have yellow markers accompanied with a post-it stating you need to fill this in, or you didn't send your birth certificate, but then another form would point out something totally different that was missed or needed. I found the local office very helpful because the agent would gather all the forms, go over them with the client, usually find that the missing forms were there rip up the unnecessary ones and reprint just one form properly filled out, which saved both my client and myself a lot of problems. Now that I live in a small town, if you wait 20 min. that's a long time. In my personal experience the 1-800# has never really helped, they seem to all have different opinions, some of them are very helpful where others act as if you are bothering them and usually have the same information I have already submitted. I have also helped filled out forms online and have had both positive and negative results with that. Sometimes they claim they never received the form , even though I have the number that is given to you. Then they try to tell me I must have not submitted it ,which I know I did because I have a number, or that the information cannot be submitted at this time, so you have to save it and then keep trying to get it through. At other times it went right through. I agree that Windwood needs to get this filed a.s.a.p. but didn't even ask the question until 11/22 so it will probably be next year before anything happens, the date of the application helps guide when the disability began. The holidays do slow things down so, I would get it done soon.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
Thanks for the info Janke but, I was advising Westwood. I believe Westwood lives in Oregon and it could be a small town where you can walk in and be seen pretty quickly. When I lived in South Florida I would sometimes accompany some of my clients to the agency, but never without an appointment, which even with an appointment it would still be a good 2 hr wait. and found it necessary to straighten out up to three different letters from three different people, for instance one from the district manager(Dana) or regional commissioner)Paul) and sometimes there would be no name at all, all dated within a couple of days of each other. I always enjoyed the look on the agents face when they began reading all the inconsistent on the forms. For instance, one letter would have yellow markers accompanied with a post-it stating you need to fill this in, or you didn't send your birth certificate, but then another form would point out something totally different that was missed or needed. I found the local office very helpful because the agent would gather all the forms, go over them with the client, usually find that the missing forms were there rip up the unnecessary ones and reprint just one form properly filled out, which saved both my client and myself a lot of problems. Now that I live in a small town, if you wait 20 min. that's a long time. In my personal experience the 1-800# has never really helped, they seem to all have different opinions, some of them are very helpful where others act as if you are bothering them and usually have the same information I have already submitted. I have also helped filled out forms online and have had both positive and negative results with that. Sometimes they claim they never received the form , even though I have the number that is given to you. Then they try to tell me I must have not submitted it ,which I know I did because I have a number, or that the information cannot be submitted at this time, so you have to save it and then keep trying to get it through. At other times it went right through. I agree that Windwood needs to get this filed a.s.a.p. but didn't even ask the question until 11/22 so it will probably be next year before anything happens, the date of the application helps guide when the disability began. The holidays do slow things down so, I would get it done soon.
Anyone can establish a protective filing date by calling the 800# and asking for an appointment with your local office to file a claim. Another method would be to walk in the front door of any office. Another method would be to submit an online application. November is almost over. It would be a shame to miss out on a month's worth of benefits by delaying.