Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Anyone have a Sleep Study?

I had a sleep study the other night and didn't fall asleep until an hour before the study was over. That is one of my complaints since the accident, that without meds, I cannot fall asleep well anymore. Waiting to hear the results.

Has anyone had a sleep study done since having PCS? Any diagnoses or helpful info from it?

Some of my sleep issues have been helped by getting hormones and nutrition balanced. I owe that to Mark, who gives excellent advice!!
eponagirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-01-2010, 02:17 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey there eponagirl,

I have had a sleep study but not since PCS. I didn’t fall asleep til mine was almost over either. I did get a lot better after the sleep study, but since PCS, I’m with you. I can’t fall asleep without meds.

Good luck with it and if you’re up to it, it would be interesting to hear what they say. Did you go to a naturopath regarding the hormone balancing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponagirl View Post
I had a sleep study the other night and didn't fall asleep until an hour before the study was over. That is one of my complaints since the accident, that without meds, I cannot fall asleep well anymore. Waiting to hear the results.

Has anyone had a sleep study done since having PCS? Any diagnoses or helpful info from it?

Some of my sleep issues have been helped by getting hormones and nutrition balanced. I owe that to Mark, who gives excellent advice!!
MarileeG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi MarileeG, I will post my sleep study if it comes back with anything. I went to a nurse midwife who specializes in women's health for balancing out hormones, etc. I have gone to a naturopath who did similiar things though. A regular Dr can order the blood tests you need too. Mark has stated here a few times about what things to check. TSH (thyroid levels), Vit B, Vit D, Progesterone levels, etc. The TSH old standard range was .3-5.0, they have since changed it to .3-3.5 (you should be at or below 3 though). The higher level, the lower functioning your thyroid is.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info on the hormone checks Epona. Mark mentioned this in a note to me along with lots of other super good information and I forgot about the hormone stuff.

Got focused on the NUCCA chiro research. I had also read about craniosacral therapy - your post on that was awesome. Thank you for sharing all of that valuable infor.

I'd like to try both of these things - i get held back b/c I'm not so good at asking people to drive me around... gotta get over that to get better. hope you're doing well today.

Quote:
Hi MarileeG, I will post my sleep study if it comes back with anything. I went to a nurse midwife who specializes in women's health for balancing out hormones, etc. I have gone to a naturopath who did similiar things though. A regular Dr can order the blood tests you need too. Mark has stated here a few times about what things to check. TSH (thyroid levels), Vit B, Vit D, Progesterone levels, etc. The TSH old standard range was .3-5.0, they have since changed it to .3-3.5 (you should be at or below 3 though). The higher level, the lower functioning your thyroid is.
MarileeG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

I had a sleep study a couple months ago, and have another one schd. for Dec 17th to have the machine fitted. It was done at Belluvue hospital, I took my laptop, watched a movie, then they let me take my medications (I take 11 meds, 7 of them at night). One of my meds was Ambien; I slept like a baby and thought I slept really well. I ended up being told I have severe apnea.

Why didn't they let you take your meds? They told me to take my meds cause it was what I do on a daily basis. Maybe they should re-do your sleep study with medication?

I had an overall enjoyable sleep study.
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:48 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm currently off any meds to sleep, the amitryptaline was making me groggy too far into the next day and was starting to not work that well anymore either. I don't take anything but a small dose of cold medicine to sleep now...starting taking it during a cold a couple of weeks ago. The neurologist wanted me to get a sleep study because I mentioned that I tried increasing my ami from 10mg to 20mg (am allowed to go up to 30mg) and was it repressed my respiratory system so much that I gasped for breath once in the night. I knew it was too much for me an hour after taking it. That has never happened to me before or since, so I know it's not sleep apnea...didn't happen during my last sleep study 2 yrs ago either. She wanted to make sure, thus the test. I had only complained to her so far that I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep...which showed up clearly in the test this week. Now I am so off this week from that experience and am getting another cold!