Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for help understanding MRI results

I just received my MRI results. I cant make heads or tails out of it. I am 43 yrs old with back issues for about 15 yrs.

I have had lower back issues for years now. More recently i find cleaning or even walking excessively causes my left or right side of my back hurts leading down to my back legs, I have told my dr it was pain in my hips cause the back of my hips seems to burn and hurt the most. But its more in the buttocks than hips.. I have problems straightening back up if i squat to tie my shoes or pick up something from the floor. I also have issues carrying parcels without fingers going number. I don't seem to have any strength in my arms to open anything at all. Even holding my arms up causes them to go numb after a short time.

I got my MRI back and i am supposed to bring it to my GP. (which i dont have right now) So its hard to get it explained to me. I went to a clinic with pain over the summer and they sent me off for a MRI.

MRI Results:

The craniocervical junction is unremarkable.

There is a cord signal abnormality along the posterior left aspect of the cord. There is one focal area posterior to the vertebral body of C3 measuring approximately 9 mm in long axis by approximately 2.5mm in cross section and there is a second similar area posterior to the C4-5 disk space. The signal changes are not associated with spinal canal stenosis or other abnormality. Therefor considering the patient's young age plaque should be considered.

Otherwise there is inversion of normal lordosis centered over C5-6. There is presence of the disk protrusion at the level C5-6 which is fairly central causing mass effect on the dural sac and flattening of the cord but no cord signal abnormality that location. This is resulting in a focal spinal canal stenosis. No significant foraminal stenosis.

There is no significant uncovertebral or facet joint degenerative disease otherwise.

The levels above and below are fairly well preserved. There is a slight uncovertebral degenerative disease at C7-T1 right and left.

There is a small hemangoma vertebral body of T3 along the inferior plateau.

No other significant degenerative disease in the thoracic segment. There is however presence of a small sirynx at the level of the vertebral body of T8 and extending to the level of T9 and measuring approximately 2.3 cm long axis by approximately 3 mm medial to lateral diameter by 2.4 mm in AP dimension. Minimal ectasia of the central canal above and below the level of the sirynx.

Otherwise in the lumbar segment there is a hemangioma vertebral body of T1. The tip of the conus is at the level of T 12 superior plateau.

There is a disk space narrowing at T12 L1. There is a disk osteophyte complex with minimal diffuse disk bulge posteriorly. No spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.

T12 - L1 there is a msall right paracentral disk protrusion causing mass effect on the dural sac. Associated small spur. No spinal canal or foraminal stenosis. Facet joint intact.

L2 - L3 L3 - L4 no abnormality is seen.

L5 - S1 no significant abnormality is seen.

Opinion

1 Presence of the larynx is thoracic segment for which i recommend a follow up MRI in 6-9 months to ascertain stability of this has been documented in the past.
2. There is presence of two areas of signal abnormality in the cord. Considering the patient's young age one should consider the presence of demyelinating disease. MRI of the brain is recommended to complete imaging.
3. Presence of the disk protrusion in the cervical segment associated with spinal canal stenosis at level of C5-C6
4. Disk protrusion as described above at L4-5
5. Disk protrusion as described above T12 - L1

Any help explaining this is appreciated.

Mary-Anne
muffin862 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I'll bold the basic important parts for you and hopefully others will be along to clarify more.

our sticky threads have important saved info & links -above the main thread list -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...662#post721662

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin862 View Post
I just received my MRI results. I cant make heads or tails out of it. I am 43 yrs old with back issues for about 15 yrs.

I have had lower back issues for years now. More recently i find cleaning or even walking excessively causes my left or right side of my back hurts leading down to my back legs, I have told my dr it was pain in my hips cause the back of my hips seems to burn and hurt the most. But its more in the buttocks than hips.. I have problems straightening back up if i squat to tie my shoes or pick up something from the floor. I also have issues carrying parcels without fingers going number. I don't seem to have any strength in my arms to open anything at all. Even holding my arms up causes them to go numb after a short time.

I got my MRI back and i am supposed to bring it to my GP. (which i dont have right now) So its hard to get it explained to me. I went to a clinic with pain over the summer and they sent me off for a MRI.

MRI Results:

The craniocervical junction is unremarkable.

There is a cord signal abnormality along the posterior left aspect of the cord. There is one focal area posterior to the vertebral body of C3 measuring approximately 9 mm in long axis by approximately 2.5mm in cross section and there is a second similar area posterior to the C4-5 disk space. The signal changes are not associated with spinal canal stenosis or other abnormality. Therefor considering the patient's young age plaque should be considered.

Otherwise there is inversion of normal lordosis centered over C5-6. There is presence of the disk protrusion at the level C5-6 which is fairly central causing mass effect on the dural sac and flattening of the cord but no cord signal abnormality that location. This is resulting in a focal spinal canal stenosis. No significant foraminal stenosis.

There is no significant uncovertebral or facet joint degenerative disease otherwise.

The levels above and below are fairly well preserved. There is a slight uncovertebral degenerative disease at C7-T1 right and left.

There is a small hemangoma vertebral body of T3 along the inferior plateau.

No other significant degenerative disease in the thoracic segment. There is however presence of a small sirynx at the level of the vertebral body of T8 and extending to the level of T9 and measuring approximately 2.3 cm long axis by approximately 3 mm medial to lateral diameter by 2.4 mm in AP dimension. Minimal ectasia of the central canal above and below the level of the sirynx.

Otherwise in the lumbar segment there is a hemangioma vertebral body of T1. The tip of the conus is at the level of T 12 superior plateau.

There is a disk space narrowing at T12 L1. There is a disk osteophyte complex with minimal diffuse disk bulge posteriorly. No spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.

T12 - L1 there is a small right paracentral disk protrusion causing mass effect on the dural sac. Associated small spur. No spinal canal or foraminal stenosis. Facet joint intact.

L2 - L3 L3 - L4 no abnormality is seen.

L5 - S1 no significant abnormality is seen.

Opinion

1 Presence of the larynx is thoracic segment for which i recommend a follow up MRI in 6-9 months to ascertain stability of this has been documented in the past.
2. There is presence of two areas of signal abnormality in the cord. Considering the patient's young age one should consider the presence of demyelinating disease. MRI of the brain is recommended to complete imaging.
3. Presence of the disk protrusion in the cervical segment associated with spinal canal stenosis at level of C5-C6
4. Disk protrusion as described above at L4-5
5. Disk protrusion as described above T12 - L1

Any help explaining this is appreciated.

Mary-Anne
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 AM #3
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default back trouble

Hi mary ann, I am sorry you are having trouble in your back. I have had two cervical fussions. When I was presented with my MRI I looked up each word that I did not understand on the MRI. For an example I know that disk osteophyte is a bony overgrowth, that is on the bone, and can intrude to narrow your spinal cord. Some are not so bad. The word Demyelinating disease is not something I am familiar with, but that would be something I would look up. Sometimes you can kinda get the idea of whats happening doing the research so that when you go to the doctor to hear what he says, you will be armed with information. There won't be anything that your doctor says to you that you will not have some knowledge on that way. I always deal better with a medical issue, when I understand what is happening. If you need help looking for medical sites, I can help with that. There are also people on this site who are far more knowledgeable than I am and they will also try to help you. I wish you the very best, and I hope the outcome means less pain for you. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need help. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:16 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi there,
I would definitely try to get in to see your Dr. to find out exactly what it all means...Not trying to scare you, just my honest opinion, but from what I know, or can discern, demyelinating means loss of the myelin sheath surrounding your nerves in your spinal column and brain. It sounds to me like they are wanting to do an MRI to possibly rule out Multiple Sclerosis? Not sure if there are other things that could cause demyelating issues... Like I said, don't freak yourself out, you really need a doctor's advice and opinion!! Good luck, please post when you find out the results!
redalert is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Severe B12 deficiency also causes cord deterioration:
Combined degeneration of the spinal cord:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subacut...of_spinal_cord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_deficiency

copper deficiency is less common.

Demyelination also occurs in some autoimmune diseases, and blood tests can reveal those.

GBS is a rapid demyelination which may occur after some viral infections or vaccines (like meningitis vaccine or Gardisal)

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote