Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Graphics Tablets...How well do they work?

I am just wondering how well the graphics pads work for drawing illustrations. Do they allow you to draw in detail? And does it come out looking precise???

Thanks to anyone who knows about these?

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I haven't tried any of them, have you checked out reviews & videos online for it?

some vids about various brands -
http://www.google.com/search?q=Graph...e602266151d141
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I've had one for many years.

The tablet is not what gives you detail...it is the software you choose to work it, IMO.

Mine is a Wacom. Not a very large one.

Here is a portrait I did of Sheba long ago.

And I did this nest with another program I had back in the 3.1 days:

And the third one was a design I made on my current program for the other forum I used to volunteer at. Sorry if it looks like an "ad" for there, but be assured my efforts were not appreciated either.

The program I have now is pretty old, but it is called Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9. The graphics programs allow freehand or point to point drawing. Freehand always creates some pixels...but if you use the proper layers that can be avoided. Point to point drawing is alway clean.

I prefer using real hand and paper, so I never really took to the graphics style. But it can be very fast if you do design work, etc.
You can scan in things and add to them, all sorts of fun. But it is your software that determines what you do with the tablet.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:29 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Ladies!

Jomar, I am learning a lot from some of the You Tube how to video I am finding. I had not thought to do that, so I appreciate your idea for very much!

Mrs. D, Wow! I love your illustrations...you are very talented! I have found some information on the Wacom and am seriously thinking about ordering it and just diving in and giving it a try. I see there are some free software programs on the web. Maybe I can just try one of those to get my feet wet before I purchase one. I might need to give you a hollar later if that's okay!?

I watched a you tube about the animated vector art...it looks so interesting. I have some children's stories that I have written and am trying to improve on my illustrations. It would be really neat to animate them. If nothing else for my grandchildren! Anyway, that may be an unattainable dream, but at least I can for sure work on my book illustrations.

Thank you both so much for all the info!!!

PS: If I were the Braintalk people I would have REALLY appreciated your ad...it is GREAT!!!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006

Last edited by Friend2U; 12-04-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Added PS.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (12-04-2010), mrsD (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Good! If you can afford it, I'd say do it!

It can be alot of fun. Artists work many ways, and if you don't try it you won't be able to evaluate it.

I really like intimacy and hands on...so the interface that the computer creates is a bit frustrating for me. So I always go back to my paper and pencils! My training is in fine art as well.

I really am computer limited, even tho I appear not so. I can help you if I can, but things like animations I never progressed to. I have alot of time so helping is no problem for me. I am just limited as to the more complex functions with some of the programs. If there were a way for me to download Jo's brain and mix with my skills, I'd be totally a whiz!

The computer is great for photos, retouching, ad design, making templates for needlework, doing things for online sharing. But I miss the tactile quality that computers seem to lack. The new ads for Nat Geo Migrations are stunning, but I bet I could never achieve that goal!

Some graphics programs are free now on the net. Some of the older Adobe's might be available.

Also this one is free:
http://www.getpaint.net/

or this one:
http://www.toggle.com/lv/group/view/...toshop_CS2.htm

http://www.toggle.com/lv/group/view/...t_Shop_Pro.htm
(stay away from any free Xpro types, they bombed)

Some of these are "trialware" only.
If you know how to do it, you can extend that, it is a hacking trick, tho.

Most graphics programs are expensive. I got my Paint Shop Pro 9 at a huge discount because I had an old 3.1 Corel program they credited me for. In many cases the software will cost much more than the Wacom.

The Paint.net is free free as far as I know. It was designed by MS students as a project and then released into the market for free to use with windows.

You can potentially have alot of fun. But also be aware, that sometimes it can be very frustrating too! The latter depends on your flexibility and understanding of computers in general (which is my big snag).

You need a good amount of RAM to do this...I have 1 gig on this computer and it works fine. With too many windows open, however, it can slow up. Most computers today have enough RAM, in the old days when I did Sheba and the nest I had a thimble full of RAM. LOL

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fixing spelling
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I will most likely check out some of the free programs before I decide to order the graphics tablet. I'm sure it will never completely replace my paper and chalks. I do not have an art background, I am self taught. But I LOVE to draw and now that I am retired, my legs are giving out, but with my upper body still strong I have lots of time to draw and work at my computer. So when I feel good, that is what I spend a lot of time doing. I have really been enjoying drawing lately. Nothing as beautiful as yours...

Thanks!

HANG IN THERE!

MS/dx2006
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Alot of people discover their talents when they have a stressor in their lives. I learned my artistic stuff mostly as a child, starting at age 5 or so, (I don't remember earlier), because of my turbulent parents and being alone alot.

I went to art school after I received my professional training and license when my husband was drafted and went to Vietnam.

I did some college level post degree training in my 20's and early 30's. It has been a great outlet for me and mentally liberating. All my training is in fine art and design. (no real commercial layout training at all).
So I always encourage people to let their children bloom if they have a talent (mine discouraged it), and to try their hands at something in adulthood as well. Art work and personal expression I think are valuable and help with illness and stress, besides being valid on their own.

The use of the mouse on any graphics program can be frustrating. You can crop and do some pixel photo retouch with a mouse, but mostly with everything else the pen/tablet are better. The newer tablets allow erasure with the pen, even, making it easier yet to delete or change.

I'd get the tablet and the new Paint free program, and that way you can use it right away. You might find the pen easier on your hands than a mouse for everyday work as well!

I am always here, and you can PM me anytime too.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Printmaster:

When I started with my graphics I used a simple program, called Printmaster.

Now there are many versions newer than my old one, which still works! And they are inexpensive:

Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRINTMASTER-18-P...item5ad50abb61

http://www.broderbund.com/p-171-prin...FQNrKgodChMdlg
(gives more detail, than Ebay-- but you see the cost is much higher).

Printmaster has alot of free clip art. and it lets you use your pen Wacom tablet and would give you some practice before you decide to go further. You may find the drawing part, and just printing it out enough for you! I've done that myself!

Some outlet discount places have Printmaster on the table locally, I got mine at Costco years ago for like 7 bucks.

The beauty of Printmaster is that it is easy and fast and lets you make cards, and fun stuff. This new one has scrapbook thing even! So think about that.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (12-04-2010)