Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default system ph

Anyone up on the system acidity thing? Does it affect PD?

As I waited for a pill today I got to thinking about this. One of the main ways we regulate ph is through our breathing. Shallow breathing lets CO2 build up and makes us acidic. Deep breathing does the opposite.

Exercise, deep breaths. Yoga, ditto. Both good for PD.
PD? I come up for air on Tuesdays.

Anyone know more?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)

advertisement
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Young_%28author%29

I befriended him on facebook and asked him if his diet would help me. His reply..............."Yes".
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I'm going to take this a step at a time and not get into the diet yet. My wife will divorce me if I upend her pantry one more time. She told me so herself.

But even postponing the diet angle, how many of us really empty our lungs as we breathe? Particularly once we have PD?

If we are shallow breathers, that alone is enough to shift our pH down into acidosis and that seems to be able to lessen the power of dopamine if I understand it correctly.

The folks who huff and puff on their bikes do best and we assume it is due to the general benefits of exercise. But it could be the breathing.

Old folks in general breathe shallow.

I have heard that the positive air venilation machines that they use for sleep apnea are effective and give you a good night's sleep which seems to help PD. What if it isn't the sleep but the breathing?

Somewhere I saw and lost a reference indicating that hypothemia shifted a cold water victim away from an acid state and into alkaline. Am I remembering right that hypothermia has some success as treatment for PD?

What does fasting do to pH? If it raises it into alkaline territory and exercise does too, then I'm going to get excited.

But right now I'm going to practice emptying my lungs when I'm off or waiting for a med and see what happens.

Come on bluedahlia, let's breathe heavy together.

I'll bet that I pass out....
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default alkalinity

I read The ph Miracle by Robert and Shelley Young
Of course, trying to do the best I can with food and supplements.
I found the best solution for me is the alkaline water machine- so easy and
I bought it on ebay a couple of years ago.
Like so many things, I really don't know how much it has helped- it is just part of my arsenal along with exercise and an infra red sauna.
I like to believe it is all helping me to maintain my level of functionality.
I think believing/ feeling like I have some control helps- maybe just as much as anything I'm actually doing.
Also doing the vitamin D (now up to 10,000 IU daily)- lots of energy and lots of VERY loud and expressive dreaming at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
I'm going to take this a step at a time and not get into the diet yet. My wife will divorce me if I upend her pantry one more time. She told me so herself.

But even postponing the diet angle, how many of us really empty our lungs as we breathe? Particularly once we have PD?

If we are shallow breathers, that alone is enough to shift our pH down into acidosis and that seems to be able to lessen the power of dopamine if I understand it correctly.

The folks who huff and puff on their bikes do best and we assume it is due to the general benefits of exercise. But it could be the breathing.

Old folks in general breathe shallow.

I have heard that the positive air venilation machines that they use for sleep apnea are effective and give you a good night's sleep which seems to help PD. What if it isn't the sleep but the breathing?

Somewhere I saw and lost a reference indicating that hypothemia shifted a cold water victim away from an acid state and into alkaline. Am I remembering right that hypothermia has some success as treatment for PD?

What does fasting do to pH? If it raises it into alkaline territory and exercise does too, then I'm going to get excited.

But right now I'm going to practice emptying my lungs when I'm off or waiting for a med and see what happens.

Come on bluedahlia, let's breathe heavy together.

I'll bet that I pass out....
VICTORIALOU is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (12-05-2010), imark3000 (12-05-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:08 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Rick...I'm ready when you are!
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default function follows form

Quote:

As I waited for a pill today I got to thinking about this. One of the main ways we regulate ph is through our breathing. Shallow breathing lets CO2 build up and makes us acidic. Deep breathing does the opposite.

Anyone know more?
I've recently become aware of my jaw hinge - consciously relaxing that area REALLY helps the breathing;am considering seeing an osteopath for adjustments to musculature inside my mouth. my massage therapist is also trained in this modality and will be working with her on this next week. my neighbor received rolfing treatment and her face and jaw appeaar very soft and relaxed. This bone is shaped like the atlas and is pivotal to breathing function. went to a neuro muscular dentist to consider an orthotic - am hesitant to proceed because it could alter the sound of my voice negatively (adding a sort of lisp)aandtthis dentist suggests i would have to wear it permanently (altho he did mention some people wear theirss only at night and this I may consider)

the dentist demonstrated the potential of thiss treatment to me by having me do the tree stand yoga pose beforee and after putting a pen horizontally across my mouth placing mylower jaw aa bit forward. my balance improved immediately - also range of motion improved. also, cost would be $5,000. am ambivalent.

i think yoour intuittion is rightt on track Rick. I've heard that breathing 6 X/minute is optimal -just got a yoga DVD yesterday.
md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 AM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Well......

....I was right, I did pass out.

But before I did, I experimented enough to become more intrigued. Again,skipping the dietary angle for now, we know:

1- Breathing patterns affect serum pH. Breathing into a paper bag, for example, increases CO2 which increases acidity (lowers pH). Breathing to expel CO2 increases alkalinity (raises pH).
2- Changing system pH changes brain chemistry.
3- Changing system pH affects our kidneys and bladder action.
4- The elderly (and PWP) tend to be "lazy" breathers.

There is a connection between all of the above, but what is it? Has it been looked into?

What is your own pattern? Is your default "lazy" breathing?
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:34 AM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb it is hyperventalation -

Quote:

Anyone know more?
the lack of oxygen in your blood, your blood can also turn acidic resulting in respiratory acidosis.
Sources of Alkaline Minerals
To make sure you’re getting plenty of alkaline minerals in your life I believe you should both consume good quality (pref organic) fresh, vibrant, healthy, high-water content, often raw foods PLUS I believe that you should supplement this to ensure that you always have a safety net. It is SO important to get enough of the right minerals every day that I fully believe in supplementation in this case.

This is particularly important if you have been out of balance, because there will be a lot of repair, detoxification and tidying up to do in your blood and other cells, so providing your body with an abundance of alkaline minerals is one of the very best things you can do.

But first, here’s the whole food sources:

POTASSIUM:

Avocado
Spinach
Soybeans
Lentils
Swiss Chard
Tomatos
Broccoli
Squash
Cucumber
Sweet Potato
Beetroot
Greens
Carrots
Kidney Beans

MAGNESIUM:

Pumpkin Seeds
Spinach
Soybeans
Swiss Chard
Salmon
Broccoli
Cucumber
Sunflower Seeds
Navy Beans
Pumpkin
Tomatoes
Celery
Quinoa
Almonds
Brown Rice

CALCIUM:

Basil
Turnip
Thyme
Spinach
Greens
Kelp
Broccoli
Swiss Chard/Silverbeet
Romaine Lettuce
Kale
Celery
Cabbage
Squash
Green Beans
Asparagus
Brussel Sprouts
Garlic

SODIUM:

Avocado
Carrots
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Kale
Lettuce
Greens
Parsley
Peppers
Radish
Sunflower Seeds
Sweet Potato
Turnip
Beets
Note on Sodium:

We are talking about proper, pure sodium, not table salt or the salt added to refined foods. According to Dr Young:

sincerely,
louise

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011), Sasha (01-29-2011)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default speculation

I would speculate that most PWP are shallow breathers if only because all muscles tighten up in PD, particularly when off. I think it takes conscious effort as we all age to keep breathing from the belly...this is why, I think, that things like yoga and tai chi help, because they focus on breathing.

I would also try those items, you can get them on the wii fit which includes balance games although I'll warn you, they are much harder than I thought they'd be (or...gulp, my balance is much worse than I thought it'd be!)
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon72219 (12-05-2010), imark3000 (01-29-2011), VICTORIALOU (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 08:45 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default there are all those veggies, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_lou View Post
the lack of oxygen in your blood, your blood can also turn acidic resulting in respiratory acidosis.
Sources of Alkaline Minerals
To make sure you’re getting plenty of alkaline minerals in your life I believe you should both consume good quality (pref organic) fresh, vibrant, healthy, high-water content, often raw foods PLUS I believe that you should supplement this to ensure that you always have a safety net. It is SO important to get enough of the right minerals every day that I fully believe in supplementation in this case.

This is particularly important if you have been out of balance, because there will be a lot of repair, detoxification and tidying up to do in your blood and other cells, so providing your body with an abundance of alkaline minerals is one of the very best things you can do.

But first, here’s the whole food sources:

POTASSIUM:

Avocado
Spinach
Soybeans
Lentils
Swiss Chard
Tomatos
Broccoli
Squash
Cucumber
Sweet Potato
Beetroot
Greens
Carrots
Kidney Beans

MAGNESIUM:

Pumpkin Seeds
Spinach
Soybeans
Swiss Chard
Salmon
Broccoli
Cucumber
Sunflower Seeds
Navy Beans
Pumpkin
Tomatoes
Celery
Quinoa
Almonds
Brown Rice

CALCIUM:

Basil
Turnip
Thyme
Spinach
Greens
Kelp
Broccoli
Swiss Chard/Silverbeet
Romaine Lettuce
Kale
Celery
Cabbage
Squash
Green Beans
Asparagus
Brussel Sprouts
Garlic

SODIUM:

Avocado
Carrots
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Kale
Lettuce
Greens
Parsley
Peppers
Radish
Sunflower Seeds
Sweet Potato
Turnip
Beets
Note on Sodium:

We are talking about proper, pure sodium, not table salt or the salt added to refined foods. According to Dr Young:

sincerely,
louise
Can't help but notice it's all veggies and things grown in the ground....no dairy, processed foods...I'm seeing a common theme between this and Dr. Wahls diet here.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (01-29-2011)