Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Breathing / coconut oil / acid-alkaline balance

With reference Rick’s thread: Why MJFox did well in the mountains

Rick: How do you place my experience in your breathing-acid-alkaline jigsaw puzzle?

When I started taking Sinemet for the first time last June, I experienced randomly occurring shortness of breath which was severe enough to threaten and jeopardize my treatment plan.

I worked with the family doctor and other reasons were excluded. I was told by my neurologist that shortness of breath happens in rare cases at wear of time of sinemet but not in random times as was in my case. So I weaned myself of sinemet in 2 weeks time and sure enough the shortness of breath disappeared.

I started taking Sinemet again and was struggling and hoping the shortness of breath would disappear by itself . I was stressed by the fact that the shortness of breath was hindering my vigorous exercise routine which I valued more than the medication.

In mid October, I started taking two spoons of coconut oil daily and cut my carbohydrates to minimum. To my surprise, I noticed the disappearance of my shortness of breath within few days. More over I found that my energy was increased gradually to a degree that I was able to triple the calories expended on stationary bicycle.

I must add another trick, which helped resolving the breathing problem. This was using the Yoga practice of placing the tong on the upper side of the mouth as to force the breathing from the nose.

My report above is factual but no neurologist would be interested. how about you?
cheers
Imad
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (12-07-2010), just_me_77 (12-07-2010), lou_lou (12-06-2010), soccertese (12-11-2010), tulip girl (12-10-2010)

advertisement
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

You know there are other causes besides breathing.

There are some forms of renal tubular acidosis that are genetic and some are mild, which can cause a mild acidosis too.

So if you think you have this it might be good to get a renal panel done complete with anion gap. It might be revealing. (this also affects potassium levels-- with some forms raising potassium and some depleting it)

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (12-07-2010), imark3000 (12-07-2010), just_me_77 (12-07-2010), lou_lou (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default I'll give it a shot...

I am not a doctor and I wouldn't let one borrow my TV, but...
Your carbo-laden diet had you hovering in and out of an acidic state and caused your shortness of breath (Breathing is one of the two ways that our bodies maintain the acid-base balance, the kidneys the other.).

When you dropped the carbs you became less acidic over a few days and your breathing improved. At the same time, you added the high octane brain fuel of the coconut and sped away into the sunset in search of Yogananda to ask him about the tongue thing.

Am I close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
With reference Rick’s thread: Why MJFox did well in the mountains

Rick: How do you place my experience in your breathing-acid-alkaline jigsaw puzzle?

When I started taking Sinemet for the first time last June, I experienced randomly occurring shortness of breath which was severe enough to threaten and jeopardize my treatment plan.

I worked with the family doctor and other reasons were excluded. I was told by my neurologist that shortness of breath happens in rare cases at wear of time of sinemet but not in random times as was in my case. So I weaned myself of sinemet in 2 weeks time and sure enough the shortness of breath disappeared.

I started taking Sinemet again and was struggling and hoping the shortness of breath would disappear by itself . I was stressed by the fact that the shortness of breath was hindering my vigorous exercise routine which I valued more than the medication.

In mid October, I started taking two spoons of coconut oil daily and cut my carbohydrates to minimum. To my surprise, I noticed the disappearance of my shortness of breath within few days. More over I found that my energy was increased gradually to a degree that I was able to triple the calories expended on stationary bicycle.

I must add another trick, which helped resolving the breathing problem. This was using the Yoga practice of placing the tong on the upper side of the mouth as to force the breathing from the nose.

My report above is factual but no neurologist would be interested. how about you?
cheers
Imad
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-07-2010), just_me_77 (12-07-2010), lou_lou (12-06-2010)
Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Odd that you should mention that, MrsD. I decided today that that may be the explanation of what I have dealt with for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You know there are other causes besides breathing.

There are some forms of renal tubular acidosis that are genetic and some are mild, which can cause a mild acidosis too.

So if you think you have this it might be good to get a renal panel done complete with anion gap. It might be revealing. (this also affects potassium levels-- with some forms raising potassium and some depleting it)
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default metabolic acidosis....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Odd that yoverett1u should mention that, MrsD. I decided today that that may be the explanation of what I have dealt with for so long.
Rick,

Didn't you mention metabolic acidosis over the summer as contributing to those troubling weakness/paralysis spells we were having? Do you think that is secondary to other to the renal tubal acidosis. Funny, renal function is broached, I had to be hospitalized for a kidney infection a couple of years ago...it was while pregnant. I have never had any kidney trouble prior to this

Imad, I think this is great news and encouraging. It seems to be very important that we restore homeostasis as much as we possibly can; the disease slowly takes that away, and the potent drugs only throw us even more off kilter.

I have read on article on the importance of compensatory measures in PD. Imad it is making me wonder if you aren't refueling yours?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (12-07-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:23 PM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Laura-
Very much on the learning curve here, but this morning I experimented with baking soda. One-half teaspoon in water and repeated after two hours. The first one made me feel pretty good. The second one triggered the worst "off" that I've ever had. Completely frozen just five feet from the bed. Finally made it and laid down. Back on in thirty minutes.

That's not as weird as it seems. There are two types of acidosis and they can be at work simultaneously. One is respiratory and results from the failure of the lungs to get rid of CO2. The other is metabolic and results from problems with the kidneys - either failing to recycle bicarbonate or to shed hydrogen ions. If I understand correctly, baking soda does, indeed, replace the lost bicarbonate but it also increases production of CO2 at the cellular level. So the acidosis takes on a roller coaster nature.

It is one more part of the puzzle and I have an appointment with my GP Thursday to talk about kidneys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Rick,

Didn't you mention metabolic acidosis over the summer as contributing to those troubling weakness/paralysis spells we were having? Do you think that is secondary to other to the renal tubal acidosis. Funny, renal function is broached, I had to be hospitalized for a kidney infection a couple of years ago...it was while pregnant. I have never had any kidney trouble prior to this

Imad, I think this is great news and encouraging. It seems to be very important that we restore homeostasis as much as we possibly can; the disease slowly takes that away, and the potent drugs only throw us even more off kilter.

I have read on article on the importance of compensatory measures in PD. Imad it is making me wonder if you aren't refueling yours?

Laura
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

From the Merck Manual:

In renal tubular acidosis, the kidney tubules cannot adequately remove acids from the blood to excrete them in the urine.

The tubules of the kidneys that remove acid from the blood are damaged when a person takes certain drugs or has another disorder that affects the kidneys.
Typically muscle weakness and diminished reflexes occur when the disorder has been present for a long time.
Blood tests are done to detect high acid levels.
Some people drink a solution of baking soda every day to neutralize the acid.

Normally, the breakdown of food produces acids that circulate in the blood. The kidneys remove acids from the blood and excrete them in the urine. This function is predominantly performed by the kidney tubules. In renal tubular acidosis, the ability of the kidneys to excrete acids is partially impaired, and acid levels build up in the blood (metabolic acidosis). The balance of electrolytes is also affected. Renal tubular acidosis may lead to the following problems:

* Low or high potassium levels in the blood
* Calcium deposits in the kidneys, which may lead to kidney stones
* Dehydration
* Painful softening and bending of the bones (osteomalacia or rickets)

Renal tubular acidosis may be a permanent, inherited disorder. However, it may be an intermittent problem in people who have other disorders, such as diabetes mellitus, sickle cell disease, or an autoimmune disorder (such as systemic lupus erythematosus). Renal tubular acidosis may also be a temporary condition brought on by an obstruction of the urinary tract or by drugs, such as acetazolamide Some Trade Names
DIAMOX
, amphotericin B Some Trade Names
FUNGIZONE
, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs), and diuretics that conserve the body's potassium (so-called potassium-sparing diuretics).

There are four types of renal tubular acidosis, types 1 through 4. The types are distinguished by the particular abnormality in kidney function that causes acidosis. All four types are uncommon, but type 3 is extremely rare.

Symptoms and Diagnosis

Many people have no symptoms. Most others develop symptoms only after the disorder has been present for a long time. Which symptoms eventually develop depend on the type of renal tubular acidosis. When potassium levels in the blood are low, as occurs in types 1 and 2, neurologic problems may develop, including muscle weakness, diminished reflexes, and even paralysis. In type 4, potassium levels typically increase, although it is uncommon for the level to rise high enough to cause symptoms. If the level becomes too high, irregular heartbeats and muscle paralysis may develop. In type 1, kidney stones may develop, causing damage to kidney cells and, in some cases, chronic kidney failure.

A doctor considers the diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 renal tubular acidosis when a person has certain characteristic symptoms (such as muscle weakness and diminished reflexes) and when tests reveal high levels of acid and low levels of bicarbonate and potassium in the blood. Type 4 renal tubular acidosis is usually suspected when high potassium levels accompany high acid levels and low bicarbonate levels in the blood. Special tests help to determine the type of renal tubular acidosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Laura-
Very much on the learning curve here, but this morning I experimented with baking soda. One-half teaspoon in water and repeated after two hours. The first one made me feel pretty good. The second one triggered the worst "off" that I've ever had. Completely frozen just five feet from the bed. Finally made it and laid down. Back on in thirty minutes.

That's not as weird as it seems. There are two types of acidosis and they can be at work simultaneously. One is respiratory and results from the failure of the lungs to get rid of CO2. The other is metabolic and results from problems with the kidneys - either failing to recycle bicarbonate or to shed hydrogen ions. If I understand correctly, baking soda does, indeed, replace the lost bicarbonate but it also increases production of CO2 at the cellular level. So the acidosis takes on a roller coaster nature.

It is one more part of the puzzle and I have an appointment with my GP Thursday to talk about kidneys.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you all: The importance of deep breathing

I believe that we in this forum have recently been exploring and using our selves as white rats in the following areas:

1)Mitochondria death due to failure to process glucose and possibility of using diabetic drugs (or natural cinnamon) as a cure.

2)An alternative solution to the above problem is through use of fat rich diet. The idea is to starve the body of glucose and this will force the liver to produce Ketons (from fat). Keton bodies work as alternative fuel to glucose, which will save it from dying.

3) The role of vitamin D

4)The importance of having correct homeostasis through diet, deep breathing and exercise.

The above points interact and influence each other. But, now I come to believe that breathing plays a key role. This has been known to Chinese and Indian medical practice for thousands of years.

Cheers
Imad
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Kidneys

Rick,

I'll have to look into it more closely. I am just alarmed because I have never had any kidney problems until that time, so I am wondering if the infection did any damage? I was put on an antibiotic IV as I was toxic/ill and in danger of miscarriage. It was odd because it appeared with out any symptoms until it was obvious I was quite ill.

When they talk of serum potassium measures do they mean during a phase when electrolytes go out of whack? or in general...my electrolytes were all in normal range when not having an episode.

Let us know how the GP visit goes.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Lemon in water restores alkalinity.
bluedahlia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote