Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Post Concussion, PCS, and then Numbness on the left side

I stumbled upon this forum last night and immediately found myself overwhelmed with emotion. For 6 months I have believed I was alone, and then suddenly there a whole community of people appeared at my fingertips.

6 months ago in June, I got my concussion. I work as a ballroom dance instructor and was working on an advanced salsa dip that my student requested. We used a mat. I should have realized that the move was too high risk. I fell on the back of my head and immediately bounced back up saying I was fine. We did the trick again. and again. I felt a sudden hit of dizziness and a suffocating feeling. I remember the lights looking really fuzzy. I must have looked dazed because my student asked me if I was alright. I said I was alright and we practiced until we got the move right. After 22 times of repeating the move, our lesson ended and I went to the Staff room for 15 minutes of break.

I sat at my table and spaced out immediately. I couldn't really hear the conversation that was occurring in the room. I put my head down on the table. My headache felt unlike any other one I've had. My boss asked me if I was alright and I said I was not feeling alright. I told everyone what happened. I remember it was hard to formulate my words and sentences. I got up and taught my next group class. I went home and did some reading about concussions and I was afraid to go to sleep. I felt dizzy in a blinding way that did not feel right.

I woke up the next morning with few hours of sleep. I took half a day off and went to work in the evening. I started feeling nauseous. After the lesson my boyfriend convinced me to call the 24 hour hotline and then drove me to the Emergency Room. They gave me anti-nausea medicine and a CT scan. The CT was fine.

For the next 2 weeks I took time off from work to rest. My general doctor told me to rest a LOT. Unfortunately I had the appointment right after I went to a dance party and did a bunch of aerials. I also went on a plane trip which made me feel extra nauseous afterwards. I mostly rested for two weeks while having all of the normal PCS stuff. Nausea, blurry vision, headaches, dizziness, vertigo. Reading was stressful. Occasionally, my spelling was off and when I was speaking words wouldn't come to. I could remember the important things like my birthday and the president. But I'd have a hard time remembering what just happened and start repeating myself. This was difficult when I was teaching. The world was spinning around me and I wanted very much to vomit except I never did.

I felt like I was better after a month. I canceled the neurologist appointment I had and went back to work. A month and a half passed. In September I started to feel like the symptoms were returning. I told some people, but no one believed me. I woke up one morning and felt like I was sick so I took that day off from work. The symptoms kept getting more intense. The doctors seemed a bit puzzled. I had the sensation that I wasn't grounded enough. I felt like a balloon that was ready to float away at any second. I had a helpful doctor that opened up my Workman's comp case again and got me a referral for the neurologist.

Before the neurologist, I experienced something strange. I felt my body gradually feeling numb on my left side. The part where I hit my head felt the coldest and numbest and it seemed to pulse outwards spreading the numbing sensation to my face, neck, torso and arms. I wasn't concerned at first but then started to panic a little when I started to feel it mover through my foot. I went to the Emergency Room again and the doctor assured me that it wasn't a stroke or anything really serious. My neurologist appointment was in a couple days.

I took an MRI (which came out fine) as well as an ultrasound for the blood vessels in the neck area. I've seen herbal doctors, chiropractors, and gotten second opinions. The whole process has been long. My neurologist finally diagnosed my condition as Anxiety. He told me this like he was talking to a child. I happened to be sick with a cold that day and couldn't summon enough energy to battle him. Instead I just seethed inside. He sent his report to my general doctor's office and now I am having a difficult time getting more time off from work because everyone thinks I have anxiety now. I looked up the symptoms of anxiety and I can see why it might seem that way. But I am the person inside of my body and no doctor can feel what I feel. I don't think I have anxiety.

Right now, I am frustrated with doctors. I think since June I feel more grounded, less dizzy, and even a little less nauseous. I don't feel nauseous all the time now. But when I am nauseous I feel like a cat trying to cough up a hairball. I get a lot of burps like I am about to throw up. The most bothersome is probably the numbness. The numbness feels cold and has no feeling. It is most strong in my face, especially in my left eye and my left jaw. It almost feels like someone punched me in the face. On some days I have a difficult time opening my left eye fully because it feels swollen. My jaw is stiff and my brain feels like it is a block of freezing ice. This is only on the left side of my body. Some days I can feel the clear division of numbness on my tongue. The rest of my body is numb too. From my arms to my fingers and through my torso hip and down my legs. I've also been feeling pain and soreness on my neck where the vertebrae meet my skull. The pain goes down my neck mostly on the left side. and then down to my mid-back. I feel some pain also on the right side. It's hard for me to stand up straight. I'm wondering if my neck got hurt while I had the concussion. It hurts the most at the very top of the spine where it meets my skull.

Does anyone else have similar numbness symptoms?

Thank you very much.
worstislucky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-19-2011, 12:57 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstislucky View Post
I stumbled upon this forum last night and immediately found myself overwhelmed with emotion. For 6 months I have believed I was alone, and then suddenly there a whole community of people appeared at my fingertips.

6 months ago in June, I got my concussion. I work as a ballroom dance instructor and was working on an advanced salsa dip that my student requested. We used a mat. I should have realized that the move was too high risk. I fell on the back of my head and immediately bounced back up saying I was fine. We did the trick again. and again. I felt a sudden hit of dizziness and a suffocating feeling. I remember the lights looking really fuzzy. I must have looked dazed because my student asked me if I was alright. I said I was alright and we practiced until we got the move right. After 22 times of repeating the move, our lesson ended and I went to the Staff room for 15 minutes of break.

I sat at my table and spaced out immediately. I couldn't really hear the conversation that was occurring in the room. I put my head down on the table. My headache felt unlike any other one I've had. My boss asked me if I was alright and I said I was not feeling alright. I told everyone what happened. I remember it was hard to formulate my words and sentences. I got up and taught my next group class. I went home and did some reading about concussions and I was afraid to go to sleep. I felt dizzy in a blinding way that did not feel right.

I woke up the next morning with few hours of sleep. I took half a day off and went to work in the evening. I started feeling nauseous. After the lesson my boyfriend convinced me to call the 24 hour hotline and then drove me to the Emergency Room. They gave me anti-nausea medicine and a CT scan. The CT was fine.

For the next 2 weeks I took time off from work to rest. My general doctor told me to rest a LOT. Unfortunately I had the appointment right after I went to a dance party and did a bunch of aerials. I also went on a plane trip which made me feel extra nauseous afterwards. I mostly rested for two weeks while having all of the normal PCS stuff. Nausea, blurry vision, headaches, dizziness, vertigo. Reading was stressful. Occasionally, my spelling was off and when I was speaking words wouldn't come to. I could remember the important things like my birthday and the president. But I'd have a hard time remembering what just happened and start repeating myself. This was difficult when I was teaching. The world was spinning around me and I wanted very much to vomit except I never did.

I felt like I was better after a month. I canceled the neurologist appointment I had and went back to work. A month and a half passed. In September I started to feel like the symptoms were returning. I told some people, but no one believed me. I woke up one morning and felt like I was sick so I took that day off from work. The symptoms kept getting more intense. The doctors seemed a bit puzzled. I had the sensation that I wasn't grounded enough. I felt like a balloon that was ready to float away at any second. I had a helpful doctor that opened up my Workman's comp case again and got me a referral for the neurologist.

Before the neurologist, I experienced something strange. I felt my body gradually feeling numb on my left side. The part where I hit my head felt the coldest and numbest and it seemed to pulse outwards spreading the numbing sensation to my face, neck, torso and arms. I wasn't concerned at first but then started to panic a little when I started to feel it mover through my foot. I went to the Emergency Room again and the doctor assured me that it wasn't a stroke or anything really serious. My neurologist appointment was in a couple days.

I took an MRI (which came out fine) as well as an ultrasound for the blood vessels in the neck area. I've seen herbal doctors, chiropractors, and gotten second opinions. The whole process has been long. My neurologist finally diagnosed my condition as Anxiety. He told me this like he was talking to a child. I happened to be sick with a cold that day and couldn't summon enough energy to battle him. Instead I just seethed inside. He sent his report to my general doctor's office and now I am having a difficult time getting more time off from work because everyone thinks I have anxiety now. I looked up the symptoms of anxiety and I can see why it might seem that way. But I am the person inside of my body and no doctor can feel what I feel. I don't think I have anxiety.

Right now, I am frustrated with doctors. I think since June I feel more grounded, less dizzy, and even a little less nauseous. I don't feel nauseous all the time now. But when I am nauseous I feel like a cat trying to cough up a hairball. I get a lot of burps like I am about to throw up. The most bothersome is probably the numbness. The numbness feels cold and has no feeling. It is most strong in my face, especially in my left eye and my left jaw. It almost feels like someone punched me in the face. On some days I have a difficult time opening my left eye fully because it feels swollen. My jaw is stiff and my brain feels like it is a block of freezing ice. This is only on the left side of my body. Some days I can feel the clear division of numbness on my tongue. The rest of my body is numb too. From my arms to my fingers and through my torso hip and down my legs. I've also been feeling pain and soreness on my neck where the vertebrae meet my skull. The pain goes down my neck mostly on the left side. and then down to my mid-back. I feel some pain also on the right side. It's hard for me to stand up straight. I'm wondering if my neck got hurt while I had the concussion. It hurts the most at the very top of the spine where it meets my skull.

Does anyone else have similar numbness symptoms?

Thank you very much.

Im going exactly what you're going through. I had a concussion in mid December. got slammed from behind against a locker. hit the back of my head first. got up right away, went to the gym after. felt dizzy, light headed, weird, headache for about a day in a half. Took a couple days off from the gym then Continued lifting heavy 3x a week. No cardio.

A month later ( mid/end of January )after a workout, i felt the concussion symptoms again. i started feeling light headed, dizzy, nausea, headache, black spots in vision. First 2 weeks were brutal. migraine that was very painful on about an 8 on a 10 scale. No appetite, trouble sleeping on the 2nd week.

Since then my migraine/headache isn't so bad but i still feel a pain in the back of the right side of my head, some pain on the right side of my neck, and still feel light headed, dizzy but it's gotten in the way of everything, but still very annoying. now since last night. feb 18, i felt numbness through two of my left fingers and progressed through the whole left side of my body? don't know what the hell is going on ive done an mri, blood work when the symptoms first started and everythings normal. i just want my black spots in my vision to go away and not feel light headed/dizzy anymore, and being able to sleep. its all a complete nightmare. I do panic sometimes. glad im not the only one going trough this i want answers. Lifting was all I had in my life. Lost 16 lbs. I just want to lift again, and feel good.

Hope everythings going well with you.

-Paulo
innocents is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:52 AM #3

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I too suffered instant numbness in my arms and legs. The right side of my body has residual numbness. Dont know whats going on
Galaxy1012 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:39 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Galaxy, This thread has not been active since 2/19/2011. Look in the blue bar at the top of the last post to see when the thread was last active.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote