Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 05:19 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default scared

Hi,

I recently had my neck (june 14,2010). I now have a burning pain in the middle of my shoulder blades, I take two norcos a day for pain I don't know what to do anymore. I've been in college for a year now but can't return to work yet. When can I expect to be out of pain?
locorambo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What did you have done?? It doesn't say. I assume you had fusion?? What you're feeling is PROBABLY the nerves healing, but don't take my word for it. When nerves heal, it can be painful. They had to move them & cut them, etc. when they did your surgery -- nerves heal at the rate of one inch per month, so as you can see, it takes quite awhile to heal.

If it was fusion that you had, most people don't completely heal for at least a year and you can expect pain all that time. In fact, don't expect your pain to completely go away at ALL. You will undoubtedly keep some pain permanently. No one is pain free after fusion. Ive never known anyone to be, and I've been in chronic pain for 26 years.

If you think this is something different, you should go see your doctor. I wish you the very best. God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
What did you have done?? It doesn't say. I assume you had fusion?? What you're feeling is PROBABLY the nerves healing, but don't take my word for it. When nerves heal, it can be painful. They had to move them & cut them, etc. when they did your surgery -- nerves heal at the rate of one inch per month, so as you can see, it takes quite awhile to heal.

If it was fusion that you had, most people don't completely heal for at least a year and you can expect pain all that time. In fact, don't expect your pain to completely go away at ALL. You will undoubtedly keep some pain permanently. No one is pain free after fusion. Ive never known anyone to be, and I've been in chronic pain for 26 years.

If you think this is something different, you should go see your doctor. I wish you the very best. God bless. Hugs, Lee
thanks so much for the reply. Yes, it was a fusion c-5 thruc-7. Thanks again
locorambo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:50 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

locorambo,

First of all, they do NOT cut or move nerves. If the surgeon had cut your nerves, you wouldn't be able to type! They remove the disc material and yes the muscles and soft tissues are retracted. You didn't say if you had an anterior or posterior fusion. In any case, June is not a very long time in spiney time and the nerves actually plump up after a fusion from having been decompressed. It can take a long time for them to settle down. And it is not true that you will ALWAYS have pain. I have known many people who have had not one but several levels done and they are doing just fine. You just don't see them posting because they have moved on. The burning pain could be nerve damage simply by having the nerves compressed for awhile. That is precisely what happened to me except that it was in my hands. It went away after about two years. But when I asked what had caused it, it was due to the fact that my nerves had been compressed for too long. I would just go back to the doc, explain what you are feeling and let him determine the best course of action.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote