Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Help! Thoracic herniation T8

Hello everyone,
I am here looking for help.
I am a 42yr old female with 2 herniated cervical disk & a T8. I also have 9 nerve root cysts that are cervical & thoracic.
I have had pain mid back for 2 years-right hand weakness, neck pain.
Since last November I have experienced steadily increasing pain mid back , constant pain across my chest & under my right arm, horrible abdominal pain that feels like needles vs knives depending on how I bend - always there. There is also band of numbness that runs across my mid abdomen & my bowel/bladder is becoming effected. My legs have become so weak I can not walk longer then 2 minutes on my treadmill- then they start to shake or buckle under me.

I have been to Mayo (no doctor here in Iowa City would mess with me) Mayo told me they wouldn't operate on my thoracic until I lost complete control of bowel/bladder. They said it wasn't possible my neurological symptoms were a result of the cysts or my T8 (that is severe with signal changes & cord compression) However I asked the doctor how many thoracic repairs he had done & he told me none. I am an RN & I have seen doctors blow smoke up people's arses to blow them off... I was getting the smoke treatment.

I have 2 boys ages 4 & 5. I am in so much pain I feel like they would be much better off without me at this point. I am finding it hard to find a reason to keep going. Nothing helps the pain other then laying on a hard surface with my legs up & arms over my head. It calms down after about an hour in that position. I now sleep on my floor in that way.

I have been ruled out for EVERY possible medical condition known to man. I have had my appendix removed, hoses up my butt, down my throat, down my nose, scanners in my va-gay-gay, I have swallowed barium, had it shot in my exit only....trust me...I am in perfect health, but they will keep looking because NO ONE WILL TELL ME IT"S THAT DISK.

I am praying someone on here can point me in a direction for help. I called Cleveland clinic. They offered me an appointment in March. I don't know if I can make it another week....March? I just cried when she told me.
We have great insurance & can go anywhere, but it is hard with the boys. I have had to drive alone to Mayo - 9 hours round trip. My right leg goes completely dead after 30 minutes of sitting & I have to drive with my left foot. The pain gets much worse when I sit, so I cried all the way home after learning nothing.

Any ideas? Anyone living with constant pain so bad they want to give up?

Thanks everyone
Sarah
growing2boys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Sometimes no dx is the worst thing to deal with -and annoying as all get out. Plus pain 24/7 to boot.

Have you considered any alternative therapies?
Like the hands on body workers /healers - drats my mind is a blank on the names right now....many of them have books in the library....if I recall some names I'll add them..

Or perhaps an expert and high rated chiropractor - if only for a comprehensive evaluation of you & your records /films?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing2boys View Post
Hello everyone,
I am here looking for help.
I am a 42yr old female with 2 herniated cervical disk & a T8. I also have 9 nerve root cysts that are cervical & thoracic.
I have had pain mid back for 2 years-right hand weakness, neck pain.
Since last November I have experienced steadily increasing pain mid back , constant pain across my chest & under my right arm, horrible abdominal pain that feels like needles vs knives depending on how I bend - always there. There is also band of numbness that runs across my mid abdomen & my bowel/bladder is becoming effected. My legs have become so weak I can not walk longer then 2 minutes on my treadmill- then they start to shake or buckle under me.

I have been to Mayo (no doctor here in Iowa City would mess with me) Mayo told me they wouldn't operate on my thoracic until I lost complete control of bowel/bladder. They said it wasn't possible my neurological symptoms were a result of the cysts or my T8 (that is severe with signal changes & cord compression) However I asked the doctor how many thoracic repairs he had done & he told me none. I am an RN & I have seen doctors blow smoke up people's arses to blow them off... I was getting the smoke treatment.

I have 2 boys ages 4 & 5. I am in so much pain I feel like they would be much better off without me at this point. I am finding it hard to find a reason to keep going. Nothing helps the pain other then laying on a hard surface with my legs up & arms over my head. It calms down after about an hour in that position. I now sleep on my floor in that way.

I have been ruled out for EVERY possible medical condition known to man. I have had my appendix removed, hoses up my butt, down my throat, down my nose, scanners in my va-gay-gay, I have swallowed barium, had it shot in my exit only....trust me...I am in perfect health, but they will keep looking because NO ONE WILL TELL ME IT"S THAT DISK.

I am praying someone on here can point me in a direction for help. I called Cleveland clinic. They offered me an appointment in March. I don't know if I can make it another week....March? I just cried when she told me.
We have great insurance & can go anywhere, but it is hard with the boys. I have had to drive alone to Mayo - 9 hours round trip. My right leg goes completely dead after 30 minutes of sitting & I have to drive with my left foot. The pain gets much worse when I sit, so I cried all the way home after learning nothing.

Any ideas? Anyone living with constant pain so bad they want to give up?

Thanks everyone
Sarah
I also have problems with my T spine here is what my mri said at the T7-8 I have more all the down to T12
A very minimal conave deformity of the inderior endplate of T7 which ia chronic and benign. There are disc degenerative changes noted at T7-T8 where there is loss of disc space height and disc desiccation observed. Disc degenerative changes anteriorly at T8-T9 with marrow endplate changes are notedas well.A posterior desiccated disc extrusion centrally is noted at T7-T8 with mild dural sac compression and no direct cord impingement. a small left paracentral extrusion is present at T10-T11 without cord impingement. At T11-T12 a right paracentral extrusion is noted. This desiccated extrusion extend slightly above the disc space measuring 2 to 3 mm in size with mild right dural sac compression and mild anterior right cord flattening without canal stenosis

I have found a dr in Indiana that is good he has helped me when no one else could here is his web site http://apmsurgery.com/
I have also found that soma,water pt and heat help
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I finally looked up one of the bodyworkers I was thinking of-
http://erikdalton.com/articleduramater.htm

there are lots of videos online - You tube & Google vids etc that show various therapies/therapist treating patients/clients..

not sure if something like this will work but possibly?

Might be an option since neuro MDs/surgeons aren't helping you much.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

thank you all for taking time to read my insanely long note & reply

I was hoping someone had surgery on here & could give me advice in that direction. I can't tolerate PT- the pain is too intense. I can't tolerate NSAIDS due to ulcers. I can't take narcotics because I have to care for 2 small kids.
It's surgery or bust for me.

Thank you all again
Sarah
growing2boys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing2boys View Post
thank you all for taking time to read my insanely long note & reply

I was hoping someone had surgery on here & could give me advice in that direction. I can't tolerate PT- the pain is too intense. I can't tolerate NSAIDS due to ulcers. I can't take narcotics because I have to care for 2 small kids.
It's surgery or bust for me.

Thank you all again
Sarah
I to have problem with that I can't tolerate PTand can not take NSAIDS due to ulcers. I can't take narcotics the give me bad headaches, but as I said I do water pt and soma at like 700 mg at night and do heat. I have found that the water pt does not cause the pain. Dr do not like to do sugary on the t-spine due to most have to go though the front which they have deflate the lung remove or break ribs and so it is also take long time to recover and there is no saying the it will help the pain
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

That's what I was thinking also, it must be too risky or some other reason because if surgery is the answer they would do it.
But they should explain why not.